Luck Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luck Money

So I sold a machine yesterday where the buyer gave me a envelope with the agreed money which was a deal done over the phone which upon handing it to me said you’ll have to give me luck money now..! which is something I’ve always done anyway but in this case ended up being a 50 due to it all being in €50’s of course and to get him moving I handed him a crisp €50 of his own money.

Iv always thrown some luck money (maybe is the superstitious Irishness in me) with pretty much anything with an engine over the years to a point I sold a mate’s car which she didn’t believe in luck money, but I insisted, anyway the deal was done via bank draft and she “forgot” the luck money so I had her revolut the young chap €20 as a bit of luck...!

I suppose this is like going to a wedding these days…. What’s the going rate for luck money or is this something made up by the Irish to get a few quid back from the purchase price…?
    Last edited by Mr Troop; 28-04-2022, 12:26 PM.

This is a new concept to me but I'd absolutely refuse to give it if it was asked for in that circumstance.
    "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Comment

We always give 20 to 50 euro to anyone who buys from us, it's not the amount that's important, more the principle.

www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by SJ View Post
        This is a new concept to me but I'd absolutely refuse to give it if it was asked for in that circumstance.
        It's more of an rural non-Dublin thing.

I've always found it weird. I mean I'm not going to say no to getting a little money back, but I kinda just prefer a straightforward approach to agreeing a price without having to build in all these little things people do.
        https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

I'd always throw back 50 quid for petrol if I felt I was getting a fair price for the car but if asked for it I'd be annoyed I have to say and not so charitable !

Comment

€50 sounds reasonable

Comment

Hopefully he didn't spit in his hand before shaking yours when the deal was done...

Comment

Luck should always be given and never be asked for.

If a lad asks for it give him €2, according to some of the old tanglers luck should only ever be coins. (I had a lad refuse a 20 recently and ask had I any coins on me)

Comment

I always give a bit, though similar happened to me. The bloke asked for luck money on a trailer I sold, knowing full well the handfull of twentys he handed me one may possibly come his way.

Being asked for it is another story....ill never do it again if asked!

I must remember the coins bit JohnBoy mentions above.....

Comment

I bought my first car (a mint 2006 Alfa 147) from Don Baker in Enfield 10 years ago. I think the car was four grand and he handed me back a 50 to put petrol in it. Being a townie I had no idea about luck money at the time but always remember the chap as a gent because of it.

I can see why being asked for it as an entitlement by a buyer would put someone right off though.

Comment

Personally I would be insulted if I wasn't offered a "Lucky penny". I would always give a few quid for luck on anything I sell, weather it be €5 or €50, the amount I give correlates to the amount of money I am getting. I got €500 (yes, five hundred) back for luck from the couple selling me the RX7 and in turn I offered the same €500 lucky money back to the buyer of the Soarer. I think it was fair given the large amount of money being handed over and all parties were happy they were getting a good deal

I actually often use the idea of lucky penny to my advantage when selling a car when it comes to haggling. I love haggling and being haggled with. The sport of haggling is dying out in Ireland and I think it's a crying shame. If I was selling a car for say €800 but I'd be happy to get 650-700, and the buyer is trying to stick at 600. Saying 700 and I'd throw back a lucky penny often wins them over... I'd throw him back maybe 20-30 then for fuel (I always keep a couple tenners and twenties in my wallet).

I think it is a more popular in rural ireland, and I was taught to do it by my Dad who haggles everything weather it's buying a car or cattle. I remember going to buy a car with him when I was younger and he was trying to explain to a Polish gentleman the concept of a "luck penny" I have a friend that used not buy a car without luck money as he bought an Almera once without any luck and the gearbox exploded on his way home. He'd walk away if he wasn't offered luck money 😂 But I do agree you should never demand lucky money, as there is no luck in that
                      Last edited by Smythy411; 28-04-2022, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Would always do the same - Not necessarily money - Sold a boat recently and once the deal was done threw in a few life jackets and Ringo's to get them going

Comment

I always give it, being a culchie, but living in Dublin most of my sales are to urbanites so they're invariably astonished and delighted to have a crisp note thrust back into their hand. Obviously in a car sale for thousands of euro, 20 or 50 is only a token gratuity, but selling a bicycle or similar for hundreds of euro I'll still always give a luck 20 or something. Unless the buyer has negotiated me to the bone like, in which case they can feic off for themselves

Comment

A bit like that unplowed corner of a field or a bush you never cut down etc. it's called 'luck money' for a reason and works both ways. Down here in the wescht an important component of luck money is that you don't give it out of the stack the buyer gave you, it should be a separate note eg out of your wallet and not from his money. When selling anything large I always keep a €20 handy for that reason.

Speaking of buying/selling traditions in Ireland, there's a nice one in the north (at least that's where I've come across it) of wishing a new buyer 'health to enjoy' which I think comes from go maire tú do nuacht "may you live out your new thing".

But back to selling, if someone has been a complete knut to deal with, they don't get luck money and that's me wishing them 'bad luck'. If someone said 'now you have to give me etc.' they wouldn't get it either because they're just gougers. As dewi said it's not always about money, I'd also always throw in spare parts, old bits, Haynes manuals, basically anything to do with the car that might help a buyer but if they were a total loon they just don't get that either. Irish people in general have an awful lot to learn about the different concepts of price and value and if anyone has never done a professional negotiation course I'd recommend at least reading "Getting to Yes" which is brilliant at explaining the concepts of - amongst others - expanding the pie, ZOPA, BATNA etc.

The concept of tokens changing hands when buying/selling is not necessarily unique to Ireland, in many Asian cultures small gifts are exchanged prior to negotiations.
                            1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
                            2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
                            2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring

Comment

Yup ill echo that its a rural thing, when any city dweller bought a car from me they were amazed by the luck money. Generally a 50 is the most given back...

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X