Advice needed - Damaged sump on car park gate stopper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed - Damaged sump on car park gate stopper

So we rent a space in town and this morning I drove in down the ramp and over the gate stopper in the middle of the entry. Big thud and now the sump has no oil anymore. Where do I stand, would the car park be liable or is it a case of sucking it up?
    Attached Files
    "750 hp, on a car that i presume still has leaf springs and no seatbelts?
    I suppose if you want to go out like a man there is no better option" -hi-rev

Not sure how far you'll get but I'd be challenging it anyway, its by no means a low car, infact probably higher than most cars on the road.

If it was a modified/lowered car I'd say suck it up but if a stock Volvo is too low you surely have some case to challenge it

Comment

Cheers, would it be a case of having to report the incident or can I do it retrospectively?

Comment

May or may not have an impact - but who are you renting the space off? If its a tenant, they potentially shouldn't be letting you park there. Hard to believe it hasn't caused issues with someone elses car though given the ride height on the Volvo.

Comment

The car park or management company should have insurance that would be liable. It shouldn't have done that so i wonder was it damaged in some way that made it "higher". I'd report it to someone now even if its just very quickly.

Comment

That is a sickener.

I'm always fearful of that happening,my car is a bit lower than yours so I always try and drive around them stoppers if possible or just cross my fingers and drive slowly over them.

Comment

It’s off a property management company so not sure if they’re letting it on behalf of the business or a tenant but proper contract with a good sized facilities company

Youre right though the cars very high being 100% OEM, where it is I was on the brakes at the end of the ramp which would have moved it lower but obviously never had a problem anywhere else...

Comment

Throw in a claim, that’s a pain in the arse,

do they have a sign warning about it..?, that’s a fair lump of metal in the middle of the road so to speak, risk to sumps, tyres, bumpers

Comment

I'd start off by contacting the property management company so and seen if they're willing to sort you out (assuming you've lots of photos and measurements at this stage already). If they're not willing to play ball, then you might need to get your solicitor involved - your contract is with the property management company, so I'd be going after them and the car park owners (assuming they're not one and the same).

If there's CCTV covering the entrance I'd also be requesting that, in case they accidentally press the delete button!

Comment

I had similar happen to me about ten years ago. In my case, it was a removable bollard but the bit the bollard sat into was obviously too high. I successfully complained and my claim was paid via insurance - This was on a university campus.

Comment

That's ridiculously high and paint is worn off they have to be at fault!
                      I lost a sump on a lower car years ago due to a raised manhole cover on a part completed housing estate I was fully reimbursed by the builders hopefully yours will be as smooth to sort!

Comment

Have a price for repair ready. For an easy life they may just pay you straight up rather than going through insurance etc.
                        https://www.picfair.com/users/MarkT128/

Comment

That's a sickener alright. I'm not sure why that entire plate was not placed level with the surrounding concrete. It looks like it must have been hit a number of times before judging by the wear.
                          I had a sump damaged on a council speed bump (basically just a moulded lump of tar in the middle of the road with potholes /ground beginning to break up on either side of it.
                          No joy getting the cost of replacing the sump even though the mechanic immediately pinpointed the offending speed bump and said it was notorious as a sump killer (lots of deep gouges across it).

Comment

A right dose.

Is it engine oil or gear oil?
                            Could be just the photo but looks reddish.

Off topic and more applicable to speed ramps. .
                            I ruined a tyre and rim on an atomic sized crater before and was told by the Co Co that it had to be reported 3 times to give them a chance to fix it before they would pay out for replacement tyres, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cheers for the replies folks, an email’s gone to the mgmt company informing them of the incident so at least I know it’s been recorded.

Someone else mentioned that the oil looked red so could be ATF but dipped the sump there and there’s nothing there so happy enough it’s the sump.
                              Oil pressure light never came on and still oil coming out after I stopped so reckon the bottom end should be fine but might ask the garage to confirm whenever it gets there.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X