Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Type R deleted from Ireland

Hey Everyone

I had enquired at Honda Head office about pricing the new Type R based on the MK11 chassis as i had owned an FK8 and loved it, still miss it.

They rang me back this morning and sadly Honda Ireland will not be offering it for sale in 2023 when it is due to Market.
    Honestly i was a bit shocked, i know the FK8 was over 50k new (blame vrt) but to delete it entirely is just depressing.
    They are not even giving you a choice, it is not for sale here end of story.

I was really looking forward to seeing how much further they could push it.
    And from a styling point of view i think this one could be the best yet based on the limited images we have.

Sad day in the parish.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

At least we should be able to get one from japland in a few years. I guess they expect demand to be so strong in uk that they're not bothering selling here; as they'd most likely only sell small a small number in any case

like a lot of manufacturers i Ireland they dont really cater for car enthusiasts

I remember seeing your civic for sale; another car i should have bought

Comment

The most surprising thing here is that they actually rang you back...
      Any car that merely takes you from A-B does not go far enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike205 View Post
        The most surprising thing here is that they actually rang you back...
        This ha ha. But im sure if you really wanted one, it could be ordered from ni with no duty.

Comment

Originally posted by davemx-5 View Post

This ha ha. But im sure if you really wanted one, it could be ordered from ni with no duty.
          You'd have to pay the VAT and then claim the NI VAT back from UK, sounded like an awful process pre Brexit.

When did they drop the FK8, this year or last year?

Comment

Not surprising really as I'm sure a lot of manufacturers consider this country to be a bit of a back water when it comes to selling high performance cars,rightly or wrongly.

Usually when you go into any mainstream car dealer here asking about a hot version from their catalogue,the sales person usually looks at you like your talking Martian.
            I remember enquiring about the Mk7 Clubsport and most garages didn't even know it existed.

The FK8 finished up production towards the end of last year didn't it?
            I think this new one will be even better,the looks have been toned down a bit which will only help it.

Comment

That's disappointing. I was hoping to pick one up next year back to the drawing board I guess.

Comment

But I thought Honda were withdrawing from Europe entirely fairly soon?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/f...urope-so-wrong
                Last edited by Alfaguy; 10-02-2022, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordderak View Post
                  Hey Everyone

I had enquired at Honda Head office about pricing the new Type R based on the MK11 chassis as i had owned an FK8 and loved it, still miss it.

They rang me back this morning and sadly Honda Ireland will not be offering it for sale in 2023 when it is due to Market.
                  Honestly i was a bit shocked, i know the FK8 was over 50k new (blame vrt) but to delete it entirely is just depressing.
                  They are not even giving you a choice, it is not for sale here end of story.

I was really looking forward to seeing how much further they could push it.
                  And from a styling point of view i think this one could be the best yet based on the limited images we have.

Sad day in the parish.
                  It was ever thus in this country. VW got better at bringing in tiny numbers of hotter GTI variants in recent years, but most of the tasty stuff was personal import or a willing dealer sourced it from the UK/NI dealer network.

Comment

Originally posted by TPaul View Post
                    At least we should be able to get one from japland in a few years. I guess they expect demand to be so strong in uk that they're not bothering selling here; as they'd most likely only sell small a small number in any case

like a lot of manufacturers i Ireland they dont really cater for car enthusiasts

I remember seeing your civic for sale; another car i should have bought
                    America too will be a huge market for it

Comment

The run out model of the FK8 was €75k wasn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by hooch View Post
                        The run out model of the FK8 was €75k wasn't it?
                        No, bought mine when it was about 12 months old, it was a 191.
                        The original invoice was in the glove box with the service manual, 52k odd all in, out of Bolands in Waterford.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordderak View Post

No, bought mine when it was about 12 months old, it was a 191.
                          The original invoice was in the glove box with the service manual, 52k odd all in, out of Bolands in Waterford.
                          In 2019 that was a relative bargain.
                          I was talking to a Honda dealer a couple of weeks ago when picking up our new EV (FItzpatricks Kildare) and he said the facelift FK8 was that money and that basically none sold.

Comment

Not surprising. Will cost money to market & possibly train mechanics on a car that is all but unsellable in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfaguy View Post
                              But I thought Honda were withdrawing from Europe entirely fairly soon?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/f...urope-so-wrong
                              I doubt they'll exit, but Europe is the smallest global market region (say compared to North America, Asia or Africa), but arguably the most stringent for regulations. We're going to see less manufacturers put much effort into Europe unless they've got an EV to flog.

Irelands always been a crap place for cars, but the difference now is this happening at EU rather than country level. Europe didn't get the new Subaru BRZ for example, which also casts doubt on how easy it will be to import such cars in future under CO2 rules as they will never have been homologated in the EU and have no cert of conformity.

That wasn't a problem in the pre CO2 days, it kinda is now.
                              Last edited by crank_case; 10-02-2022, 05:56 PM.
                              https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X