Header

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motoring questions you are afraid to ask.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shaggy View Post
    Right so...... we'll all call them extractors and we're sorted!

Another one with multiple terms to cause confusion, tappets or lifters or valve lifters or followers or camshaft followers.
    But only hipsters call them extractors!
    We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Comment

• I think manifold is the correct term, a combining of many.

Comment

• Getting a high pitched noise low speed less than 20km , intermittent and can be difficult to hear at times

I know the weather has dropped in temp, at present it was when the temp dropped , noise occured
        Brake pads, contact sensor ?, not sure if anything to worry about
        Doing it with Twins is better than being Single
        http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?7376-TRD3000GT-Project

Comment

• Originally posted by TRD3000GT View Post
          Getting a high pitched noise low speed less than 20km , intermittent and can be difficult to hear at times

I know the weather has dropped in temp, at present it was when the temp dropped , noise occured
          Brake pads, contact sensor ?, not sure if anything to worry about
          Is it linked to engine speed or road speed?

As in, if you do 20kmh in first gear, does it sound different to 20kmh in second gear?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aontroim View Post

Is it linked to engine speed or road speed?

As in, if you do 20kmh in first gear, does it sound different to 20kmh in second gear?
            No, noise pitch or volume is not linked to road speed

Comment

• Originally posted by Traco View Post
              I think manifold is the correct term, a combining of many.

Ye're all wrong, the correcte mathematical definition is a (real) n-dimensional manifold is a topological space for which every point has a neighbourhood homeomorphic to Euclidean space.

No, I have idea what that means either.
              https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

No, noise pitch or volume is not linked to road speed
                That would suggest that the noise is engine related. Could it be one of the ancillaries? As in alternator, power steering or AC compressor?

If you keep a note of temperature/conditions (like when you have Aircon on or your rear window demister etc.) it might help to narrow down further. E.g. It may suggest alternator pulley/belt if it always happens when the car is still warming up and you stick on a pile of electrical items.

Comment

Getting a high pitched noise low speed less than 20km , intermittent and can be difficult to hear at times
                  Wife and/or kids in the car - trying to tell you get a move on / you're driving too slow again ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aontroim View Post

That would suggest that the noise is engine related. Could it be one of the ancillaries? As in alternator, power steering or AC compressor?

If you keep a note of temperature/conditions (like when you have Aircon on or your rear window demister etc.) it might help to narrow down further. E.g. It may suggest alternator pulley/belt if it always happens when the car is still warming up and you stick on a pile of electrical items.
                    It appears to trigger the noise when turning right but need to do more testing to confirm, after 40 min drive it reared its head again after a right turn, outside temp did drop from 6.5 to 2.5 degrees
                    will take a look at the belts tomorrow

Difficult one to diagnose, I cannot replicate consistently

Comment

It appears to trigger the noise when turning right but need to do more testing to confirm, after 40 min drive it reared its head again after a right turn, outside temp did drop from 6.5 to 2.5 degrees
                      will take a look at the belts tomorrow

Difficult one to diagnose, I cannot replicate consistently
                      I usually try to avoid using the 'Parts Canon' approach but given that an auxiliary belt is usually really cheap and easy to change, would it be worth changing it? If it's a spring tensioner, this may be worth changing too.

If it's an older, manually adjustable one, this could be adjusted before changing anything.

​​​​​I suppose it might be worth testing battery voltage under various condions and checking power steering fluid level first.

Comment

• Pretty apt I think
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Currently applying the above as I have a wheel bearing that is unhappy. Can't identify what one yet as no rock evident on any wheel when jacked up. Not sure what is more annoying though the bearing or complete sh173 thats on the radio

Comment

• Originally posted by Traco View Post
                            Currently applying the above as I have a wheel bearing that is unhappy. Can't identify what one yet as no rock evident on any wheel when jacked up. Not sure what is more annoying though the bearing or complete sh173 thats on the radio
                            Noisey wheel bearing won't give a perceivable rock on a modern car unless it's absolutely f**ked, and will be screaming yonks before that. I wouldn't be waiting to feel that
                            looking back now, I think that maybe, every now and again, I should have braked a little earlier

Comment

• I was heading out the gate a few years ago to the ferry in Rosslare and then on to the Vendee in France when I heard the rear right wheel bearing starting to grind. I made it down ok.
                              I booked it into a garage in St Jean de Monts for the day during the holidays for a replacement bearing and an aircon regas. It’s impossible to know how much life is left in a noisy bearing.

Comment

• It needs new tyres so hoping those guys can do it at the same time. Will hopefullyu book it in for Dec 14 as away from tomorrow until Dec 12

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X