Header

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motoring questions you are afraid to ask.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TRD3000GT View Post
    Update: liable driver has agreed to go through her insurance, we are currently waiting on her assessor

The front headlight has a crack in it , Mazda Ireland stated the assessor will likely not approve to replace as it is expensive,

We are at the discretion of her insurance companies assessor, what they will and will not repair , this is a new car

I cannot comprehend this is allowed ? Should your car not be repaired to the same standard prior the accident, we will have issues with the headlight , condensation, water ingress
    Delighted to hear that you were able to make some headway with this.

I'd have assumed the same as yourself and Johnny_Limerick. Her fault, her insurance company's problem.

I would be pushing for them to repair to an as-new standard using OEM parts from Mazda-the cost is irrelevant- that's what the other party was insured against surely? Whether this is legally sound or not I don't know but that's what I'd be pushing for.

It sounds like the Mazda Ireland person was stating an opinion as a fact there?

If it's any consolation, I'd say you could be sure that the community on here is on your/your mother's side!
    Last edited by Aontroim; 20-05-2022, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gus View Post

I'll preface this by saying I am not a solicitor nor have I worked in insurance etc. but I do have some experience relevant to the question unfortunately.

My car got written off by a truck in the UK. I contacted my insurer as I believe I was legally required to do.

I advised them what had happened, that I was stationary and got crashed into and that I was in no way liable. Most of all I told them I DID NOT WANT TO MAKE A CLAIM.

The next day while waiting at London City Airport for my MEDEVAC flight (not really, cityjet and they were very sound about me having extra bags and a helmet etc) - I got an email from Liberty to tell me that my claim had been filed. I was as confused and frustrated as you might well be.

Basically - they're covering their own hole. They indemnify you in case of any accident or claim being filed down the line (think the time limit here is 5 years but could be wrong) - so for up to 5 years after stop being their customer, at any point a claim could be filed against you and they could be held liable etc.

In my case, which I would assume to be quite similar to yours - even though you haven't made a claim with your own insurer, they have opened a claim on your policy to investigate whats happened and to ensure beyond any shadow of a doubt that you (meaning they) are in no way liable or at fault.

I had to meet with a claims manager acting on behalf of Liberty - showed her the photos and gave her a detailed account of what happened and where etc etc etc. She was happy that I was not liable or at fault in any way, she then fed that information back into the sytem and they were able to close the claim that I didn't ask them to open. FFS.

In my case, unfortunately my policy renewal came due while I had this "open claim" on my policy, so instead of being asked for say €750 I was instead being quoted close on €2000. All automated, so the system doesn't take into account that the claim will likely find that you were not at fault, if your renewal falls due before they get this straightened out - you may be in for a bit of a fright.

Fortunately they sent the renewal notice a good month before the expiry so I called them up and calmly explained that if they wanted to keep me as a customer they would need to offer me a fair renewal on the basis that I was not liable and it was merely a formality that they were investigating the circumstancs of what had happened. Luckily they sorted their out before my renewal was due to be paid a few weeks later on.

So yeah - ar5e covering is all it is. But I have no idea in terms of should you have taken cash or whether thats frowned upon for any reason etc. Hopefully someone working in insurance can confirm, I'm sure there are a few on here.

Hope its all easily sorted.

Thanks Gus, you've lit a fire under me now to get this sorted because my renewal is in 3 weeks, great, perfect timing !

Like you I had reported it to my insurance believing I had to, but I guess I also wanted it recorded in case the other driver didn't pay up like he said he would.

Hindsight is great and all that, but really wish I hadn't because I've now found out that it will affect my ability to shop around for 5 years for all 3 policies, which in all probability will cost me more in increased premiums than the repair in the first place
      Last edited by tarquini; 20-05-2022, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aontroim View Post

Delighted to hear that you were able to make some headway with this.

I'd have assumed the same as yourself and Johnny_Limerick. Her fault, her insurance company's problem.

I would be pushing for them to repair to an as-new standard using OEM parts from Mazda-the cost is irrelevant- that's what the other party was insured against surely? Whether this is legally sound or not I don't know but that's what I'd be pushing for.

It sounds like the Mazda Ireland person was stating an opinion as a fact there?

If it's any consolation, I'd say you could be sure that the community on here is on your/your mother's side!
        From what we are told by the main dealer, other bodyshop I know , insurance company may not agree to replace the damaged crash bar or replace the bonnet at a cost of 350 euro, as far as I am aware, an aluminium bonnet is extremely difficult to repair

Main dealer, they quoted 6.5 hours labour to strip and paint the front of the car, I find grossly underestimated, bodyshop I know quoted 22 hours labour

No idea if the main dealer is trying to point the finger at the insurance company , to justify the estimate, avoid replacing parts , I am of the opinion they will not do a good repair of the car , I will request photos of the crash bar , do not trust them
        Doing it with Twins is better than being Single
        http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?7376-TRD3000GT-Project

Comment

• You don’t have to accept their assessors attempts to have a cheap fix with inferior parts or repairs. You are entitled to have the car repaired to perfection, as it was before the incident. Tell them to F off. Better still, get your solicitor to do it. Land you’re entitled to car hire for the duration of repairs and depreciation (usually calculated at 10% of repair costs). I don’t know why you’re doing this yourself. They’ll run rings around you!
          Beware of imitations; there's another lawyer out there calling himself "Lucanlaw!" So the writing on the wall may be a forgery!

Comment

• I'd be avoiding that dealer for the repair, based on what you've shared.

Also if a part is damaged then it's damaged (such as the headlight and crash bar you've mentioned), so such components should be replaced.
            Hand it off to a solicitor and let them handle it - they won't entertain any BS about leaving damaged parts on a new(ish) car.

Comment

• Anyone have a rough idea what it costs to repair a small area of paint bubbling, due to rust? Not anything that is worrying me at the moment, but trying to understand what sort of ballpark I'd be in, if I did want to get it sorted.

Comment

• Apologies, I wouldn't be too sure myself Conorw89 but for the more knowledgeable members out there, it might be worth saying which car and where the bubbling is maybe?

I know it's only a ballpark you're looking but might get you a more accurate figure if a certain car has certain nuances if that makes sense?

Comment

• It's on the door of an R8, near the wing mirror. The shop would have to be certified to work with aluminium, but I'm really just looking for a very rough idea, as I've zero clue.

Comment

• Shouldn’t be any rust if it’s aluminium, so really just needs rubbing down and refinishing, the paint and finish will need to be top quality though. Is there anything particularly special about the paint process with the R8?
                    I’m standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused?? 🤨🤪

Comment

• Originally posted by Conorw89 View Post
                      Anyone have a rough idea what it costs to repair a small area of paint bubbling, due to rust? Not anything that is worrying me at the moment, but trying to understand what sort of ballpark I'd be in, if I did want to get it sorted.
                      Hard to say without seeing it but less than €500 I’d imagine

Comment

• Originally posted by Bazg2 View Post
                        Shouldn’t be any rust if it’s aluminium, so really just needs rubbing down and refinishing, the paint and finish will need to be top quality though. Is there anything particularly special about the paint process with the R8?
                        Pretty sure it is rust, it's a very common issue on them. Seemingly something gets in between the paint and aluminium(usually water) and stops the aluminium from being able to form its protective layer. Countless stories of it happening online, usually the cause is any sort of chip in the paint.

Comment

• Originally posted by Murakami View Post
                          Does anyone know what these wheels are called? I think they may be VW rather than Audi, not sure.
                          They were Option Code PR6 on the Audi A8/S8. Can't find anything online other than "Burnished Aluminium 12 Spoke". 4E0601025AG3AJ is another part number for them. They seem to be just known as the Audi A8/S8 12 Spoke Polished Alloys.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnRA View Post

They were Option Code PR6 on the Audi A8/S8. Can't find anything online other than "Burnished Aluminium 12 Spoke". 4E0601025AG3AJ is another part number for them. They seem to be just known as the Audi A8/S8 12 Spoke Polished Alloys.
                            Appreciate that, thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnny_Limerick View Post
                              If you remove the rear seats and belts in a 3 door hatchback. Would you have any issue with the NCT?
                              Got my answer tonight. I have to put them back in.
                              And fix my headlights

Comment

• Did they say why exactly?
                                I’m standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused?? 🤨🤪

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X