Header

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motoring questions you are afraid to ask.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -alan- View Post

That may have been tightened up recently - I know for instance that whereas before it was sufficient to prove that a vehicle were brought into NI before the qualifying Brexit date to avoid VAT charges on import duty to the ROI, now you must prove that it was formally registered there beforehand, or pay the full VAT.
    It's was around 10 months ago when the buddy cleared his, so they may have tightened it up since then. But the Revenue website still states a ferry ticket is sufficient evidence, so surely that means its good enough?

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by TRD3000GT View Post

thanks

This is all about can find but as you state , you could get some jobs worth

Will have a chat with vrt office Tuesday

Sales invoice , not sure how that works if a private sale
      Worse case is having to pay customs, vat on it , probably best getting an import broker involved

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-...e-from-gb.aspx

Registering vehicles imported from GB before 1 January 2021 These vehicles can be registered as normal. You must provide documentary proof that the vehicle was imported before 1 January 2021. An example of proof would be a sales invoice or a ferry ticket which identifies the specific vehicle.

If you can't prove it was imported before brexit you should only be stung for the VAT & VRT, there should be no customs duty on a vintage car provided its not modified, but what revenue classes as modified I don't know.

I'm not sure if you'll get much info off the VRT crowd, they don't like to give away to many secrets.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMGE34 View Post
        It's was around 10 months ago when the buddy cleared his, so they may have tightened it up since then. But the Revenue website still states a ferry ticket is sufficient evidence, so surely that means its good enough?

One chap who I know personally presented a ferry ticket and was told by the local staff that it was insufficient as "there was no proof that the vehicle had remained permanently in the state since then" and wanted further corroboration. Without it ever having been registered, that has proved nigh on impossible. Currently going through the formal appeals process. Has turned into a bit of a 'mare all told

Comment

• Originally posted by AMGE34 View Post
          If you can't prove it was imported before brexit you should only be stung for the VAT & VRT, there should be no customs duty on a vintage car provided its not modified, but what revenue classes as modified I don't know.

I'm not sure if you'll get much info off the VRT crowd, they don't like to give away to many secrets.

Looking at this example of an estimate, customs at 10% is applicable,
          regardless, doing up the sums , if I bought the jeep for his asking price , it's coming in at approximately 4k extra versus importing from Japan incl vrt , seller was too lazy to pay the 200 euro vrt pre Brexit , wants the buyer to take the hit

What is really frustrating, trying to obtain pictures off the sellers , reluctant to send on pictures of the underside or engine bays , they seem to think if you drive 3 or 4 hours to inspect a vehicle, you will just ignore the rust and buy, when some pictures would suffice, won't waste each others time ; a trader and private seller, like pulling teeth

https://www.vrt.ie/importing-car-uk-...st-calculator/
          Doing it with Twins is better than being Single
          http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?7376-TRD3000GT-Project

Comment

• A mechanical question this.

A buddy of mine is in the middle of an engine swap for his Transit camper van conversion. The van is a 2006 115hp diesel, and the doner van he's swapping the engine from is a 2004 90hp diesel. Im assuming the ecu is coded to the injector pump, so does that mean he will have to swap the ecu also? If he does, he'll have to swap the keys too, right? Or are they just not that advanced in the first place to have the pumps coded to the ecu, and it'll run on the 115hp ecu? I hope I don't sound too confusing.

Also, is there anything else he should keep an eye out for? He was told that when he has it running he can get it mapped up to 115 bhp if he wants, but I don't know if it's as simple as that.

Comment

• I see alot of dealers selling jeeps with full interior and 333 commercial tax , when it comes to CVRT it again , I presume you need to strip?

Even if stripped , are seat belt points not required to be welded , false floor put in ....

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Comment

I see alot of dealers selling jeeps with full interior and 333 commercial tax , when it comes to CVRT it again , I presume you need to strip?

Even if stripped , are seat belt points not required to be welded , false floor put in ....

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
                Are these Range Rover / Discovery types? If so they are likely registered as crew cabs with front and rear seats, they still have (or had) enough room behind the rear seats to qualify as such. I'm not if this can still be done or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnny 89 View Post

Are these Range Rover / Discovery types? If so they are likely registered as crew cabs with front and rear seats, they still have (or had) enough room behind the rear seats to qualify as such. I'm not if this can still be done or not.
                  BMW X5, Toyota Amazon

Some still have 7 seats

Comment

• I believe it’s a ratio of cabin space / seats vs load area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• what type primer should i put on bare metal prior to stone chip coating or underseal ? ????
                      im just doing some tidy up of old curd.

i get confused looking on say the Halfords web site.
                      options etch / zinc / high build / plastic / bodyshop / acid etch / enamel /multipurpose etc etc or is it a case of anyhting is better then nothing?

https://www.halfords.ie/search?q=undercoat
                      Last edited by Notch000; 21-04-2022, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• I always use Etch primer on bare metal, just remember to wipe it clean with grease & wax remover or a specific panel prep before you paint it.
                        Speed is just a question of money, how fast do you want to go

Comment

• What is the name of the pen/paint, you would use to mark a bolt , as a visual check it has not moved since getting torqued

Comment

What is the name of the pen/paint, you would use to mark a bolt , as a visual check it has not moved since getting torqued
                            https://www.handyhardware.ie/Milwauk...gaAjnOEALw_wcB

Comment

• Just an update to my question earlier. Swapped the engine, ecu and keys, and it started no problems.

Comment

What is the name of the pen/paint, you would use to mark a bolt , as a visual check it has not moved since getting torqued
                                i use dykem cross check torque seal if thats what your talking about
                                looking back now, I think that maybe, every now and again, I should have braked a little earlier

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X