Your car faux pas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your car faux pas

Inspired from the NCT thread- what are your car faux pas current or from the past? From dildo gear knobs to cut springs that kept falling out, what are your past styling or mechanical transgressions?

For me, before window tinting was a thing in Ireland, a mate of mine heard of a place on the Southside that could put "film on your windows". So off we went. He got silver mirror and I got "Limo Black". Classy! My car had a black interior and with the limo tint, it meant that often people would be looking around the car in car parks and not even realise that I was sitting in the car! It was so dark that at nightime on unlit roads, I had to roll down the side glass at junctions! Hahaha! good times! And reversing into car parking spaces at night? Forget about it! But it was so cool at the time, kept the interior cool in the summer and you would never be dazzled at night by drivers behind, even in your side mirrors. A few years later tinting became a craze and every Tom, D1ck and Harry had it! And after that, I said no more window tinting!

My next car ran a straight through exhaust. I could feel the increase in power, but with it being only a 1.5L, the power increase was "slight". And with the noise attracting the cops from 5 miles away, it meant that I had to drive slower than before. And on long drives I had to put in ear plugs as the drone would have your head ringing at the other end. I drove that for 7 years! :-0 I said never again to loud exhausts!
    Last edited by markcro; 21-01-2022, 10:16 AM.
    We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

I need to dig out a few pics I had some "brave" max power era stuff

Comment

I was never into mods that much mainly due to the ravages I put my first Fiat 128 3p through. Its was the standard car - not the top line SS version with the stripes so I set about making it an SS. Got the very expensive stripes from Fiat, - a major feat putting them on perfectly in the open air - no garage back then. Got the rear spoiler, plenty of cans of mat black to do the chrome bumpers and side window trim. At the end it did look like an SS from the outside at least. Where I really went overboard was adding the rear wiper. Instead of just ordering the parts from Fiat I just got some random rear wiper from some other car and then "made" it fit. It worked fine but the tailgate was a mess on the inside as I was only working with a small hacksaw and a file.
      After that I decided to just buy the car the way I wanted it and then just leave it alone.

But I don't regard that as my major faux pas - that was my blue year 2000 Fiat 20 valve turbo - gearbox gone on it and just not worth the bother to get it repaired so I bought another yellow one some years later and this one was perfect.

Comment

I wish I'd been able to mod cars to make stupid decisions, but most my stuff was stock-ish.

As long as stuffs not dangerous, this is all fashion really. Street Machine era Wolfies, Axle lifters and custom paint jobs were seen in a similar way to Max Power stuff, now we've enough distance that it's nostalgically cool.

I reckoned Dimma bodykits on Pyoojos were naff back in the day, now I don't feel so strongly.

It's all about self expression really.
        https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

Did plenty of silly stuff on race cars. lot of holesaw usage. One I remember is changing the oil filter but as its a canister on bmws, forgetting to put the new one in. The housing doesn't seal very well without a filter so it was noticed quickly and no noticeable damage done.
          On a road car I did plenty of mods on my saab, probably the most stupid was temporarily welding in a pipe instead of the back box. For a grand total of zero boxes. It could be heard miles away and was ridiculously loud in the car.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKNCqxN3vPw

Comment

Oh man, I remember that, it was epic.

I'd class that as "Task failed successfully"

I drove to a C&C from south Tipp to Dubland forgetting to replace the oil cap after topping up the oil on my Alfa 75 before heading out. The car wouldn't start again when I parked up in the Spawell, probably because everything electric was covered in oil. DS20 (where is that lad these days?) helped me out to get the car back to TI autos, they cleaned it up, everything was fine.

It's amazing I didn't die in an oily electrical fireball or that there was no real harm. Old pre-Fiat Alfas are way, way, tougher than anyone gives them credit for.

Comment

I never done anything too bad really, well not illegal mods anyway but certainly wasted some money on stupid stuff.

My first cat was a 95 Opel Astra, 1.4 GL, I think it was €900 at the time. I then went and spent at least another €1000 on a fancy radio, all new speakers and 6x9 speakers in the parcel shelf, and a massive subwoofer that took up half the boot. Even put in sound deadening material behind the door cards! Good times....
              Honda S2000 & Lexus IS300h & Lexus LS400

Comment

Had a leaky windscreen in a Maestro, which caused the carpet to get wet. Common enough complaint on them, along with a list of other quirks.
                To prevent damp carpets, I hammered the area where the water pooled on the floor and drilled a few holes. I then laid down plastic mesh (the glass drainer mesh used in pubs) on the floor and refitted the carpet over that. That fixed it.

I remember the heater rad leaked in an old van we had in the family. That was a pain in the winter, it being cold and the van icing up. The solution... bypass the heater rad and attach the pipework to a length of copper pipe that ran across the top of the dashboard.

Comment

Originally posted by crank_case View Post
                  Oh man, I remember that, it was epic.

I'd class that as "Task failed successfully"

I drove to a C&C from south Tipp to Dubland forgetting to replace the oil cap after topping up the oil on my Alfa 75 before heading out. The car wouldn't start again when I parked up in the Spawell, probably because everything electric was covered in oil. DS20 (where is that lad these days?) helped me out to get the car back to TI autos, they cleaned it up, everything was fine.

It's amazing I didn't die in an oily electrical fireball or that there was no real harm. Old pre-Fiat Alfas are way, way, tougher than anyone gives them credit for.
                  when i ran my 75 it was more reliable than the 3 yr old audi my wife drove. The 75 was 18 yrs old at the time.

Comment

I had a cinquecento with the entire back of the car being a 16 cubic feet ported box for twin JL audio subwoofers. With all the ancillary stuff required to run such equipment, line driver, capacitor, massive amps and massive power cables, for a diy job by a young lad it was well executed, with 140db + of crisp clear bass, but with only 39bhp the poor thing barely had enough power to pull its own weight empty, not to mind with 100kg of audio as well.

bad idea well executed i think

Comment

Originally posted by Tango View Post
                      I had a cinquecento with the entire back of the car being a 16 cubic feet ported box for twin JL audio subwoofers. With all the ancillary stuff required to run such equipment, line driver, capacitor, massive amps and massive power cables, for a diy job by a young lad it was well executed, with 140db + of crisp clear bass, but with only 39bhp the poor thing barely had enough power to pull its own weight empty, not to mind with 100kg of audio as well.

bad idea well executed i think
                      Reminds me of a friend who had an otherwise stock 2CV with a ridiculous sound system - couple of speakers in every door, two huge bass speakers that a Jamaican sound system would have been proud of taking up the entire tiny boot. In fact sometimes it was used as a sound system at outdoor summer parties.

I have no idea how his battery/alternator/29bhp 600cc air cooled engine kept up with the load.
                      Last edited by crank_case; 21-01-2022, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Using silage tape to make flags on an old ep88 Starlet; put tape on, then use box cutter to cut them to flag shape. Didn't realise it would cut through the paint too!

Comment

Originally posted by crank_case View Post

Reminds me of a friend who had an otherwise stock 2CV with a ridiculous sound system - couple of speakers in every door, two huge bass speakers that a Jamaican sound system would have been proud of taking up the entire tiny boot. In fact sometimes it was used as a sound system at outdoor summer parties.

I have no idea how his battery/alternator/29bhp 600cc air cooled engine kept up with the load.
                          Before the addition of the capacitor the headlights used dim every time the bass hit, running the full system at night was a bad idea

Comment

Underglow lights cobbled together from about €15 worth of poundshop parts and some odds and ends I had in the shed.

This was 2010, and it was on a VW Polo. I knew it was stupid but I thought it was funny. I also put a 8-Ball gear knob on it.

Comment

Got a lad at a car breakers in Limerick to cut up one stock backbox from a euro R accord. So I could put it as a backbox for my eg4 civic. Was loud and sounded crap enough with lots of drone. I still have it I think at home.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X