Motor tax arrears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor tax arrears

I know there was a post about this a few months ago or at least similar but I searched a few times with no luck.

Bought my e46 in September last year changed a few bushings to get ready for its nct and it just kept spilling into one job after another.
    Cars nearly finished now and I unfortunately didn't have the foresight to declare it off the road once as I expected it to be a lot sooner. I've got a bill for 400ish in arrears now and I'm wondering can I dispute the arrears? Or is the only workaround changing ownership?

Sell the car back to yourself, name As Gaeilge

Comment

Originally posted by miller View Post
      Sell the car back to yourself, name As Gaeilge
      Definitely considering it, only reason I haven't sent off yet is that it's only got 2 owners can't decide whether that's worth saving.

Comment

Someone else in the household? change of ownership on the book..

Comment

I wouldn’t add an owner personally. You can also do it with your own name if you decide to do it.

The only other way is to go to a motor tax office and see if you can talk your way out of it. I think they have been known to waive if it for a month but not sure about three months or whatever we are talking here.

Comment

Originally posted by DMZ View Post
            I wouldn’t add an owner personally. You can also do it with your own name if you decide to do it.

The only other way is to go to a motor tax office and see if you can talk your way out of it. I think they have been known to waive if it for a month but not sure about three months or whatever we are talking here.
            Yeah I just don't think it's worth the 400. I might call the tax office and ask them, I remember hearing at some point that it was possible with a letter from a mechanic/garage? Any truth to this?

Comment

I didn't even bother with the Gaeilge last time I did this. Just sold it to myself, and kept a copy of the old form to show that it was me who was the previous owner if I needed to show it to anyone at some point in the future.

Comment

I went into the tax office a week after, good chat but no luck getting it waved. She just said the same as others here "sell it".

Comment

Originally posted by TuneR View Post
                  I went into the tax office a week after, good chat but no luck getting it waved. She just said the same as others here "sell it".
                  It's a shame there's no way to dispute it the mileage has only gone up by 100 miles since its last NCT in 2020. Might do as cibo suggested and photocopy the log book for a bit of peace of mind.

Comment

The number of owners is the number of owners, no amount of copying anything will change that. Given how metrics focused cars are in the eyes of a buyer (number of owners and km/miles on the clock) and given that you have such a low number of owners, I would personally not add another owner. Number of owners affect the insurance cost also. I'm the second owner of my CL and I will not muck with that fact as an example. It's to some extent a proxy for a well maintained car however imaginary that is.

Comment

The number of owners is the number of owners, no amount of copying anything will change that. Given how metrics focused cars are in the eyes of a buyer (number of owners and km/miles on the clock) and given that you have such a low number of owners, I would personally not add another owner. Number of owners affect the insurance cost also. I'm the second owner of my CL and I will not muck with that fact as an example. It's to some extent a proxy for a well maintained car however imaginary that is.
                      Yeah I see where you're coming from for sure. It would never concern me too much when buying but I'm sure lots of people would consider it. It'll just depend on how much money I have to spend when the time comes unfortunately, if I can afford I'll pay it if not sell it.

Comment

Number of owners affect the insurance cost also
                        the what now? you sure about that, i've had cars with decent double digit number of owners, don't think it mattered diddly squat to the insurance premium i paid for them.

for me its not so much a well maintained illusion as much as a couple of owners in quick succession feels like an expensive game of hot potato

Comment

Number of owners affect the insurance cost also
                          This surprised me too - As far as I recall I've never been asked on an insurance form how many previous owners a car has had?

Comment

Originally posted by cibo View Post

This surprised me too - As far as I recall I've never been asked on an insurance form how many previous owners a car has had?
                            Me either unless they get that information from the reg?

Comment

Of course, they load all the info about the car from the reg. They look at NCT status too and probably frequency of NCT and no doubt a bunch of things.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X