Parents 2000 Yaris Failed NCT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents 2000 Yaris Failed NCT

So my mothers 1.0 manual yaris failed on rust and a brake line that needs attention. The car isn't really used anymore and in the past 12 months has had new tyres, a new exhaust and a new cat (stolen by some charming members of society) Father brought it to a garage and said any welding will cost more than the car is worth as it will probably show up more as he goes in to tackle whats evident at the moment.

Its taxed until Oct and has a few months left on the extension NCT and the engine and box are mint, its only got 98k on the clock.

he question is that as its worth feck all I'm not particularly in advertising it on DD and risking covid exposure for a couple of hundred quid car, so what are my options, scrap? bring it to a breaker? Is it of use to anyone here?
    Last edited by daves86; 12-01-2022, 11:22 AM.

Where abouts is the rust and how bad is it? And where are you based?

Comment

if they want to upgrade it then do but for the few hundred it will take to fix it up you probably wont get a better replacement

Comment

So they are happy to go to a one car family, both retirees so no need.

The offside inner and outer door sill has corrosion and the offside rear and nearside innermost brake-line are also corroded. I drove it to and from the NCT center and the brakes still worked at that point. Car has just been brought around the block weekly since to keep the battery happy.

Car is based in Dublin 13

Comment

If it’s a genuine new cat I’d be inclined to cut it out of the car and find a dealer who’ll pay you it’s worth, then scrap the rest v
          There's no light, There's only fire!

Comment

PM'd you there, Dave.

Comment

if it's a three door I'd be inclined to cut the back of the roof off and make it a pickup.

I think I have a redneck problem

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBoy View Post
                if it's a three door I'd be inclined to cut the back of the roof off and make it a pickup.

I think I have a redneck problem
                yeehaw

Comment

Replied to all PM's looks like this will be the easiest car to shift in the 17 ive sold over the years

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser View Post
                    If it’s a genuine new cat I’d be inclined to cut it out of the car and find a dealer who’ll pay you it’s worth, then scrap the rest v
                    I hope it wasn't you that did it in the first place

It's only worth scrap value unless you break it tbh.

Comment

OR....
                      You could ignore the nct, get a classic policy for moving it around, put two spare wheels in the boot and go to every autotest you can find around the country and have a great time with your yaris.

Comment

A customer of mine just bought a 4 door French Yaris ( aparently some were made in France) from a local scrapper, €150 less the cat, the cat alone would be worth €200 so the scrap yard did well out of the deal, My lad is going to use it as spares for a Grasstrack car theyhave bulit over the winter for his daughter to race.

Comment

Is a cat worth 200? I bought a generic one recently from the local motor factor for under 100.

Comment

Spurious cats aren’t really worth anything in comparison to the genuine article.
                            Poor punctuation and spelling via iPhone keyboard & odd words here and there via autocorrect

Comment

Originally posted by 8~) View Post
                              Is a cat worth 200? I bought a generic one recently from the local motor factor for under 100.
                              Yes seriously the CAT was that value.... scrappers are making good money at the moment, they take the car for little or nothing and have an asset

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X