No announcement yet.

Death of Internet forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DMZ and few others made good points about the "Like" button. I've duplicated my tab and currently liking a bunch of build thread posts. Maybe if we all make a habbit of it, that'll encourage people to post and know that others are infact reading and getting value out of it.

I, myself, am guilty of both, not posting replies on other's threads nor updating my own. I shall remedy....

For all the Facebook d*ck-f**kery, I find it usefull for buying 2nd hand parts at good prices...but that's about it.

Comment

The forum is dead, long live the Forum!!!

I'm on several social media platforms but don't post a lot. FB is total rubbish and only there as I'm the DLP Child protection officer so have to keep and eye on things. Hate the platform. Instagaram is nice for pics but I can't take a photo to save my life. Youtube is ideal for squandering hours of time and I have a few vids but the production / editing time for a p1$$ poor vid is crazy so really can't be bothered. Twitter for news headlines from all over the world as somewhere in all the daft positions there is the real state of play. Whatsapp groups are like spam but a necessary evil if you wnat to know whats happening at the last minute but I'm not a fan. I do invest time in some forums though. Boards wasn't too bad but the new update has messed it up so I've lost interest in it aside from checking the longer range weather.

I've two pride and joy threads that I update every so often, mostly for documenting the history of what I've done and also the the very long shot that they may help someone down the line. Forums win for me as they are like a library of serachable info but they are only as good as what gets posted. I benefit a lot from info posted by others on forums so feel I am duty bound to post up anything I think may be useful (even if others don't) as a way of paying back. They aren't epic build threads but detail the maintanance and reality of owning each car.

Backroads is great as is pistionheads, the Porsche Ireland forum has a lot of useful info and so to do some Benz ones. The irish Mercedes club forum section has basically tumble weed blowing through it, but the odd bit of info appears now and again.

So I say lash in your 2c on any topic that may be of interest, even if people disagree it can prompt a discussion or even lead to another thread and topic. Lots of weird and wonderful people out there and someone sonewhere will read it even if they don't comment it will get quietly digested. WIthout active particiation the forum platform starts to die, its the life bllod of them.

Comment

Bonus thread!

I notice now a lot of 'build' threads are being updated. Cant wait for later and a cup of tea and a peacefull browse!

This thread has also pushed me into buying a cheap ass go pro, always fancied some videos to back up some detail. Especially where sound is crucial in context to say exhaust work.

Is there such thing as free movie editors out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Traco View Post
          I've two pride and joy threads that I update every so often, mostly for documenting the history of what I've done and also the the very long shot that they may help someone down the line. Forums win for me as they are like a library of serachable info but they are only as good as what gets posted. I benefit a lot from info posted by others on forums so feel I am duty bound to post up anything I think may be useful (even if others don't) as a way of paying back. They aren't epic build threads but detail the maintanance and reality of owning each car.
          Funnily enough Traco, the thread on your Boxster is one that I had revisited multiple times both before picking up my own and since, never commented on it but have both enjoyed reading and learnt a lot from it, thank you!
          http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-uk/620346.png

Comment

I never used the "like" button but shall remedy this. I would like to update (create if not here) my cars history threads as they certainly are not build threads. I very much enjoy reading other peoples build threads, like the nut/bolt Evo4 of millers, DaveXBs numerous skills, Fast Focus Astra Turbo and lots more. I also enjoy seeing peoples shed builds as weird as that is.

With the social media i find FB is hit/miss if you get the right answer but you do get it quickly, YT is good for watching shows but DIY vids always leave stuff out, IG is just for drooling over pics whether its cars/bikes/females

The upcoming generations have produced less "petrolheads" but there is less "petrols" for them to get their head around. Still though like DaveXB/Fast Focus have said we have to encourage where we can. I always comment/wave back to kids whether in the sports cars or leather clad on the crotch rocket.

Comment

To all those posting and feeling unloved I apologise, whether it's someone nerding out over new wiper blades on a sales rep estate car or someeone rebuilding a type of car I've never seen in the flesh from a collection of tin panels I read em all. I only comment occasionally if I have something either useful to add or a specific question but I read em all.

more threads people, keep em coming

Comment

I thought I would just mention my own personal experience with the next generation.
                I have 3 daughters.
                My eldest, while the type car doesn't matter so much she loves just going out for a spin.
                My second is a petrol head, or as close as I can hope for. Insisted on learning to drive manual as she wants to be able to drive my 72 GT since she was about 9 or 10 (She has already driven the Calibra) and maybe get into a little trackday/motorsport when time allows(Working on that)
                My youngest will be driving soon and wants to. Only worry is I suspect she will be the speed demon. God help you all.
                Also if you look at all the children attending C&Cs, this has to rub off on some of them. How can it not when they get the opportunity to see some stunning machinery.
                I am not so discouraged about the next generation coming along. I'm ever the optimist.

On the point of broken photographic links ruining build/ownership posts. Does this site have the capacity to save photographs directly or are we reliant solely on 3rd party photo hosting?

As for criticism posted on your project, If you don't agree with it just ignore it, but I don't think it happens here too often thankfully.

So to all your project threads be they just pictures or a complete novel. Well done to you all. It's appreciated.
                When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command.

Very often that individual is crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by miller View Post

Yes, I use "kdenlive" on Windows 10. https://youtu.be/KI93ae_nnyY

Comment

i dont think ive ever seen any negative or shitty comments posted on anyone's project here....dont think we have any of them around these parts
                    looking back now, I think that maybe, every now and again, I should have braked a little earlier

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
                      On the point of broken photographic links ruining build/ownership posts. Does this site have the capacity to save photographs directly or are we reliant solely on 3rd party photo hosting?

You can upload photos to the site now - click the image button, select the upload tab, choose a file and click send it to the server
                      https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

Originally posted by crank_case View Post

You can upload photos to the site now - click the image button, select the upload tab, choose a file and click send it to the server
                        Thanks Crank. So I have no excuse now.
                        When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command.

Very often that individual is crazy.

Comment

I use Blackmagic Davinci something or other. Very heavy so needs a decent PC but if you can figure out how to use it and all its features it's professional movie level stuff. Totally wasted on me but I like to get in over my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Retrothis View Post

Yes, I use "kdenlive" on Windows 10. https://youtu.be/KI93ae_nnyY
                            Kdenlive is a good suggestion.

Originally posted by Traco View Post
                            I use Blackmagic Davinci something or other. Very heavy so needs a decent PC but if you can figure out how to use it and all its features it's professional movie level stuff. Totally wasted on me but I like to get in over my head.
                            DaVinci Resolve? Yeah, definitely a pro-tool, and needs a beefy machine as you also say.

Comment

Originally posted by DMZ View Post
                              You tap the number beside the like button or presumably hover over it if you have a mouse
                              Just to round back on this - not sure if it is just my Android devices or Windows 10 Laptop but hovering over or tapping the like number does nothing. Not a big deal - just an FYI

Comment

The below is from my Samsung phone

Screenshot_20220111-201505_Chrome.jpg

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X