The M50 open days..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah Alan I’d agree with you.
    travel it everyday from spawell to naas turn off & back the opposite way in the evening.

car or van is a reasonable experience.
    on the bike still, the last while…., I really need to get a front facing wide angle camera to make people believe the madness that I come across in such a short stretch of it!!

my recent count in the last 3 months, I should be dead 7 times.

it’s great crack and when I get to work I’m so fully awake, it’s like I’ve taken some eye opening class A drugs!

Comment

Reminds me of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Grahamo View Post
        travel it everyday from spawell to naas turn off & back the opposite way in the evening.

on the bike still, the last while…., I really need to get a front facing wide angle camera to make people believe the madness that I come across in such a short stretch of it!!

it’s great crack and when I get to work I’m so fully awake, it’s like I’ve taken some eye opening class A drugs!
        As Flet says - the driving on the M50 and its feeder-roads seems to be in a class of its own. I nearly got stuffed in the better half's runabout making progress off one of the roundabouts near the airport / M1 part of the network when a guy in the outer of two lanes heading down the on-ramp decided he'd bet better off getting into the leftmost lane immediately - irrespective of the fact that I was sitting door handle to door handle beside him at the time. Braked like f*ck to avoid the collision - and to this day am fully convinced he still has no idea I was there

Following that and another near-miss on the M50 itself, I actually had to take stock and recalibrate. Whilst Motorways might be some of the safest roads in the Country, the M50 is fkn dangerous. Bugger the 6th gear/RTE Lyric/one eye on the Satnav and the other on Google Maps thang - it's sounds off, 4th gear, two hands on the wheel and into full alert/attack mode. As they say - If you can't beat 'em..

Comment

It's not just the M50. Rural motorway is a bit of a mess too. Set cruise and proceed to be overtaken and then overtake the same car for the next X miles as they speed up and slow sown. Tailgating / drafting, blasting up to give you a exhaustoscopy only to then overtake shaking their head. Merging at 3kmh from an on ramp, no indication or checking for space.
          I'm happier though covering 90km on the M11 than dealing with the M50 at all.

Comment

M7 is a joke, people are magnetically attracted to the middle lane and overtaking lane and dont mention the standards when it comes to roundabouts which on the whole is shocking

Comment

I've seen M50 disease on the odd occasion, as far as M18/M6 interchange. Like, it's the M18, it's never packed, there's massive gaps between us. Oh no, I can't be swinging from fast line to the off-ramp in that massive gap between cars. Must floor it and overtake you, then nearly slice the front off your car instead... Why are you beeping at me?...

Comment

Not sure if any one has seen the video doing the rounds of a female cyclist on the left lane of the M50?

I live close to the road and use it every day.
                it appears as though motorists are accustomed to driving in mainland europe because every one squeezes into the outside lane leaving the inside lane empty. No complaints really because it helps my journey time but it is a bit funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Rennwagen View Post
                  Not sure if any one has seen the video doing the rounds of a female cyclist on the left lane of the M50?

it appears as though motorists are accustomed to driving in mainland europe because every one squeezes into the outside lane leaving the inside lane empty. No complaints really because it helps my journey time but it is a bit funny.
                  I think the M50 Lane 1 has now been formally redesignated by the RSA as 'The Undertaking lane'..

Comment

Bravo that man, one thing i always think when im on it is that it would be nuts on the bike!

Your typical M50 driver:

Comment

I thankfully dont have to commute anymore, but the m50 was mad on the bike. It really was an adrenalin rush!

Comment

Family Guy,always priceless 😂

Comment

Yes the last time I went to Dublin on the bike I actually went shoulder to shoulder with a Mercedes Sprinter and just pushed me out of the way. They guy in the passenger seat got a fair shock when he realised.
                          I think my favorite when I'm in the car is the people merging on the basis that everyone on the motorway should slow down to their speed.
                          It has certainly got worse since the national commuting holiday.

Comment

I saw another cyclist on the Motorway today.
                            A Mamil.

Comment

Originally posted by Rennwagen View Post
                              I saw another cyclist on the Motorway today.
                              A Mamil.
                              Who in their right mind would want to cycle on a motorway,let alone the craziest and probably most dangerous one in the country?

Comment

"
                                Originally posted by Gpk View Post
                                I think my favourite when I'm in the car is the people merging on the basis that everyone on the motorway should slow down to their speed.
                                You may have nailed it here as to why everyone drives in the middle lane in the M50. I confess I even find myself doing it. If you try to drive in the "correct" lane (leftmost) it's a constant PITA as there are merging cars & trucks with utterly random speeds & attack tactics at every junction. So after a while you just give up , F^%$ it, and drive in the middle @ 100kph like everyone else.
                                Leave the M50 and it's mostly reasonably OK, not nearly as bad as it used to be on radial-rural motorways when they first opened. Outside lane hogs were the norm.

And don't start me on ACC. I switch it on to give my brain some time off, but every idiot sees a "safe distance" as a space to be filled...

Comment

Working...
                                X