The M50 open days..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The M50 open days..

Chr**t - the driving standards on there seem to have gone to hell altogether. Was round it about half a dozen times over the last two weeks and the number of near-misses and welded-bumper drafting I've seen is horrendous. Levels of driver discipline and courtesy that would make the Mondello public track days of old look postively .. reasonable.
    Have I just got old - or have the standards out there reached an impressive new low ??
    Last edited by -alan-; 19-11-2021, 03:18 PM.

Fair synopsis Alan. You did however fail to mention the inalienable right to 3 or 4 lane sweep at once.
    Must be kinder to the environment I guess
    2005 Alfa 166 2.0TS Grigio Geo - Daily Driver
    2003 Alfa 156 1.8TS Sportwagon Blu Cosmo
    2001 Alfa 166 3.0 Proteo Rosso - The Beast - resting for now
    2000 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Auto Verde Argo - the Baby
    1999 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Grigio Nettuno - Track Car
    1984 Alfasud 1.5 Gold Cloverleaf Florentine Copper - the other Baby

Comment

It's just a shame we couldn't make the M50 into a full ring and put a banking on it.

https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

Only the strong survive M50.
        The only way to drive on the M50 is to forget rules exists, and just go for it.

"This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
        "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Comment

Yep, when I'm doubt flat out! That's M50 driving 101

Comment

​You don't need to check your blindspot if you're moving faster than everyone else.

Same as the Walkinstown roundabout, just go full tunnel vision and keep the right clog on the floor.

fdQDzkF.png
            Last edited by Wrasslers; 19-11-2021, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Drive it everyday, surprised there isn't more frequent big accidents. The 4 for one lane swap and slipstreamers are the highlight.

Comment

It’s always been like this, I also drive it most days and the level of incompetent driving is staggering

Comment

I can’t see any difference vs times of old tbh. There’s just less traffic now so it flows more which seems to encourage some pointless moves. It’s hard to drive aggressively when every lane is full and it’s stop start traffic.
                  I'm with the resistance

Comment

North of the N7 exit is absolute bandit country. Similar situation at the N11 merge.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrasslers View Post
                      ​You don't need to check your blindspot if you're moving faster than everyone else.

Same as the Walkinstown roundabout, just go full tunnel vision and keep the right clog on the floor.

fdQDzkF.png
                      That roundabout is madness

Comment

The middle lane drafting gets me - like why ?

The biggest area of incompetence I see btw is the no signal sudden lane change when there's some other poor sod sitting in their blind spot. Hard to mitigate against - and one of the very few times I would ever go so far as wish there was a cop who gave a fiddlers in the vicinity.

Comment

Originally posted by -alan- View Post
                          The middle lane drafting gets me - like why ?

The biggest area of incompetence I see btw is the no signal sudden lane change when there's some other poor sod sitting in their blind spot. Hard to mitigate against - and one of the very few times I would ever go so far as wish there was a cop who gave a fiddlers in the vicinity.
                          Nearly taken out by this last week... in the Pathfinder. Driving the M50 in the Micra feels like Deathrace

Comment

Originally posted by Murakami View Post

Nearly taken out by this last week... in the Pathfinder. Driving the M50 in the Micra feels like Deathrace
                            If you want scary, try my little Cappuccino!

Comment

It’s an orbital ring road, don’t expect motorway standard driving. Whenever I have to traverse the network I find the worst driving standards are big Leinster commuter town to M50 to next big Leinster commuter town after which things settle down again.

For example, coming from the north/airport on the M1 heading back to Galway the driving doesn’t return to normal until whatever brain amputees that live in Maynooth peel off there. I’m sure other people have their own junctions after which they breathe a sign of relief.
                              1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
                              2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
                              2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring

Comment

Working...
                              X