X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Markob1
    replied
    Originally posted by AndrewOBW View Post

Plenty of 7s about that have hit the 30 year mark and definitely still solid track cars, but also worth looking at kits registered on age related plates. I brought my Westfield over with a VRT exemption, but I registered it in the UK on age related plates ('91 donor registered in 2019 on a H plate), and they still let me register it as a 91 here so I have classic tax on it.

Even if you wanted to go down the newer route, Westfields generally don't attract the same prices as a Caterham, so you won't get hit as hard with VRT, but set up correctly will be every bit as quick.
    Cheers, not completely fixed on a 7 just one of a few that are in the running. All of the cars shortlisted are left field so to speak just to make my life that bit harder 🤣

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy Taybag
    replied
    Originally posted by mk2glenn View Post

That form seems totally pointless, may aswell go to your VRT appointment and let them do the work.
    100%. And given how they operate it's hard to know whether offering up market data will be used for you, or against you.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewOBW
    replied
    Originally posted by Markob1 View Post

Yes I get that alright and have gone down the classic route for a last couple of cars but the stuff that's catching my eye this time like catherham,lotus is a few years away from the 30 yr old rule.
    Plenty of 7s about that have hit the 30 year mark and definitely still solid track cars, but also worth looking at kits registered on age related plates. I brought my Westfield over with a VRT exemption, but I registered it in the UK on age related plates ('91 donor registered in 2019 on a H plate), and they still let me register it as a 91 here so I have classic tax on it.

Even if you wanted to go down the newer route, Westfields generally don't attract the same prices as a Caterham, so you won't get hit as hard with VRT, but set up correctly will be every bit as quick.

Leave a comment:

• mk2glenn
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimmy Taybag View Post

Yes this is the form:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/vrt/docume...t-estimate.pdf

I never used it but i don't recall needing proof of ownership and VRT booking the last time i had a look at the form. Thus rendering pre-estimate process completely useless if you already need to pull the trigger to get an estimate.

The only thing it might be useful for is directing Revenue towards 'similar cars' that could be used to argue down the value of the car. E.g for an M5 lob in 528i, E300 model and similar that might be available on the calculators

Ref Section 3.1.2
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-profes...section-08.pdf
    That form seems totally pointless, may aswell go to your VRT appointment and let them do the work.

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy Taybag
    replied

Hi Jimmy no didn't know about this, you hardly know what the form is called do you?. I think once I have a guide I can maybe sell it to myself via the good old "man maths" formula.

Edit..
    I looked up the form but states you must provide proof of ownership and evidence of a nct appointment so will prob sit in limbo and be tossed to the bin... or is there another one maybe?
    Yes this is the form:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/vrt/docume...t-estimate.pdf

I never used it but i don't recall needing proof of ownership and VRT booking the last time i had a look at the form. Thus rendering pre-estimate process completely useless if you already need to pull the trigger to get an estimate.

The only thing it might be useful for is directing Revenue towards 'similar cars' that could be used to argue down the value of the car. E.g for an M5 lob in 528i, E300 model and similar that might be available on the calculators

Ref Section 3.1.2
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-profes...section-08.pdf

Leave a comment:

• Markob1
    replied
    Lads there is a form you can fill out to get a VRT estimate ahead of presenting, were you aware of this?
    Hi Jimmy no didn't know about this, you hardly know what the form is called do you?. I think once I have a guide I can maybe sell it to myself via the good old "man maths" formula.

Edit..
    I looked up the form but states you must provide proof of ownership and evidence of a nct appointment so will prob sit in limbo and be tossed to the bin... or is there another one maybe?
    Last edited by Markob1; 07-11-2022, 02:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AMGE34
    replied
    Lads there is a form you can fill out to get a VRT estimate ahead of presenting, were you aware of this?
    I had seen this form, but I knew if I saw the figure I wouldn't go ahead with importing it😂😂

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy Taybag
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AMGE34
    replied
    Cheers lads, I partly guessed that's all the info they'd provide.

Markob1 I know the feeling, I had been back & forth in my head on whether to pull the trigger and import one. I came to the conclusion that while I will probably loose my :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D on it, I realistically knew there was no chance I would get one here in the spec I wanted, knowing my luck I'll just have cleared it and one will pop up for cheaper 🙈🙈.

Leave a comment:

• Markob1
    replied
    Originally posted by AMGE34 View Post
    Sorry for being overly paranoid, but I'd rather not give out to much information until I've gone through the process. But I will update this thread with my outcomes, as I find this sort of information can be very useful for others and hopefully I might be able to pick the brains of people who have been successful in their appeals.

No your probably right to be haha. Have a car sourced in the UK just can't bring myself with the unknown and not being the norm isn't helping me atm.

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy Taybag
    replied
    Question for the lads who have already gone through the process. When revenue give you their first estimate, do they show you how they came to that figure or is it merely a two lined letter stating how much flesh you owe them?
    For me it was a phone call about 2 weeks after presenting the car, from NCTs confirming the quantum of flesh required, followed by various 'i'm only the messenger / you may talk to Revenue yourself / happent a clue what number you should call bud, some office in Wexford / etc' type answers to any questions as to their valuation methods.

Leave a comment:

• Smokey Bear
    replied

Question for the lads who have already gone through the process. When revenue give you their first estimate, do they show you how they came to that figure or is it merely a two lined letter stating how much flesh you owe them?

They will tell you absolutely nothing relating to the fees, just how much you owe.

Leave a comment:

• AMGE34
    replied

What are you taking in out of interest?
    Sorry for being overly paranoid, but I'd rather not give out to much information until I've gone through the process. But I will update this thread with my outcomes, as I find this sort of information can be very useful for others and hopefully I might be able to pick the brains of people who have been successful in their appeals.

Leave a comment:

• Markob1
    replied
    I will be begging for the mercy of the Revenue God's at some stage next week, I'm just waiting for the export certificate before I present the car. I'm not expecting it to be pretty either, this will be my first time importing something that wasn't on the calculator.

What are you taking in out of interest?

Leave a comment:

• Markob1
    replied
    Originally posted by Kaiser View Post

If you're going down that route (Caterham etc) then surely something classic is the way to go, i.e €200 VRT and straightforward VAT process
    Yes I get that alright and have gone down the classic route for a last couple of cars but the stuff that's catching my eye this time like catherham,lotus is a few years away from the 30 yr old rule.

Leave a comment:

Bottom of thread

Collapse
Working...
X