No announcement yet.

Pound of Flesh - OMSP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Irish OMSP is based on what the car would be worth if it had been sold or registered in Ireland previously.
    So they calculate the Irish OMSP as containing the VRT or a decreased chunk of it, just as with depreciation on the vehicle itself.

Every car in Ireland has a used value reflective of it's value when new i.e. it was originally valued for registration with VRT included in its new price, so as it drops in value the VRT component also drops.

So if you import a car from elsewhere they'll always calculate the Irish OMSP as containing a chunk of the VRT component.

Of course we all know they pluck the figures out of their a$$, but they most definitely won't accept the OMSP as the value of a car registered elsewhere which never contained the VRT component originally.

Comment

Which is the crux of the matter. The complete contradiction between OMSP and VRT.

I must go back and read some of the published appeals to see if anyone made this very point as the basis of their appeal. And what verdicts were given..

Comment

Franchised main dealers and the SIMI have been actively pushing against VRT using the double taxation argument every few years for 25+ years, to no avail. (If cars were more affordable they'd sell more new units).
        So it's hard to see a single individual being successful in an appeal process with the same argument.

The Irish OMSP is what it is. It's not easy to argue or overturn it, but best of luck to you if you do try as part of an appeal.

Comment

Their new thing is to send out an independent valuation expert to view the car in person when you appeal VRT if there's a large difference between your value and theirs!

Comment

In fairness there are probably so few imports these days that it's not hard to handle each appeal in person.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeyLuke View Post
              Their new thing is to send out an independent valuation expert to view the car in person when you appeal VRT if there's a large difference between your value and theirs!
              I wonder who they are and just how independent they are.

Comment

Originally posted by DMZ View Post
                In fairness there are probably so few imports these days that it's not hard to handle each appeal in person.
                there’s thousands of imports coming from Japan, there never wasn’t.
                I’m standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused?? 🤨🤪

Comment

Originally posted by davemx-5 View Post

I wonder who they are and just how independent they are.

An insurance assessor from a national network paid me a visit at Revenue's request before I paid the VRT.

The desk valuation was already done at that stage at Revenue's request to generate the VRT quote. Their valuation was based on Grade 4, low km pristine examples from dealers in Japan. ie top end prices

So i​​​​It was a motor engineer doing a damage/condition assessment of the car, not a valuation.

My car was a Grade R after having 2 panels changed out, a repair on the B pillar and a colour change in Japan. He noted all this and summarised it to be in fair condition on his report.

My valuation dropped by a whole 5% after inspection.

Draw your own conclusion as to who they work for 😉

​​​
                  Last edited by Jimmy Taybag; 20-01-2022, 09:13 PM. Reason: removing name of assessing company given i have an open case. PM me if needed

Comment

Sounds like they have the same mentality as some of the auction houses in Japan...everything is nearly graded 4 plus, despite some very cars being very ropey to say the least.

Which of course is in Revenue's interest,they cant be letting all that tax slip away 😉

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Taybag View Post

An insurance assessor from a national network paid me a visit at Revenue's request before I paid the VRT.

The desk valuation was already done at that stage at Revenue's request to generate the VRT quote. Their valuation was based on Grade 4, low km pristine examples from dealers in Japan. ie top end prices

So i​​​​It was a motor engineer doing a damage/condition assessment of the car, not a valuation.

My car was a Grade R after having 2 panels changed out, a repair on the B pillar and a colour change in Japan. He noted all this and summarised it to be in fair condition on his report.

​​​
                      God I be annoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Taybag View Post

​​​
                        You probably did well at that with 5% off

I've got an appeal in at the moment, a concise 20 page document with photos, parts info and estimates for work to repair ect, and the robots came back with a message saying submit 2 signed estimates or receipt for work completed. No work has been done yet, and I'd already supplied estimates, so they then came back with estimates are not accepted, we need 2 main dealer valuations, I'm convinced its a chatbot and not a real person.

If anyone has tried get main dealer valuations for an old jap import, let alone repair work, Don't bother, they wont/don't want to know.
                        looks like it's off to the TAC to appeal the appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatout View Post

I've got an appeal in at the moment, a concise 20 page document with photos, parts info and estimates for work to repair ect, and the robots came back with a message saying submit 2 signed estimates or receipt for work completed. No work has been done yet, and I'd already supplied estimates, so they then came back with estimates are not accepted, we need 2 main dealer valuations, I'm convinced its a chatbot and not a real person.

If anyone has tried get main dealer valuations for an old jap import, let alone repair work, Don't bother, they wont/don't want to know.
                          I got one main dealer valuation and a motor trader a few years back; they were both motivated and I was still surprised I got them .

most dealers are reluctant to draw any revenue attention; more likely to be audited or something; I don’t blame them

Comment

The next thing is that the repairs or quotes have to be carried out within three months of it landing on these shores.

I had a rejection on that basis of part of a refund request against their valuation.

Comment

From my recent experience with a successful appeal I wouldn't call 20 pages concise. I never went over 1 page in any correspondence, I kept it very brief and straight to the point. No winging, arguing or grey areas just what I wanted and why.

Comment

Both statements of case have now been submitted for my Stage 2 appeal. Mine being a 3 page document with 15 pages of backup. Revenue's was about 100 words paraphrasing what they had in their stage 1 rejection letter.

Nobody in the TAC can tell me whether it will be days/weeks/months before we move the 'outline of arguments' stage. Will be prodding them on a weekly basis...

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X