No announcement yet.

BMW petrol or diesel dilemmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop down to Navan for a tea and take the 340i for a spin. That 'should' give you an idea what's available to suit your wants on the Petrol side of things

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
      I will concede that when compared to a slow car they're fast
      No such thing as a slow car just slow drivers. 🤭.

Any of the BMW D offerings are fast, and for big lumps they seem to handle aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by miller View Post
        Pop down to Navan for a tea and take the 340i for a spin. That 'should' give you an idea what's available to suit your wants on the Petrol side of things
        Is there an Airport in Naavin.?

Thanks for the offer, if I have reason to be up that way I'll give you a shout.

Comment

Originally posted by Rennwagen View Post

Is there an Airport in Naavin.?

Thanks for the offer, if I have reason to be up that way I'll give you a shout.
          Sure its only half an hour from Dublin now. #progress

Comment

My dad has one of these (2015 730d M Sport) if you prefer the more cruisey side of things.
            His is not for sale but as an option

BMW.jpg
            2005 Alfa 166 2.0TS Grigio Geo - Daily Driver
            2003 Alfa 156 1.8TS Sportwagon Blu Cosmo
            2001 Alfa 166 3.0 Proteo Rosso - The Beast - resting for now
            2000 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Auto Verde Argo - the Baby
            1999 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Grigio Nettuno - Track Car
            1984 Alfasud 1.5 Gold Cloverleaf Florentine Copper - the other Baby

Comment

Originally posted by Roarsbaby View Post
              My dad has one of these (2015 730d M Sport) if you prefer the more cruisey side of things.
              His is not for sale but as an option

BMW.jpg
              I was sitting I a 2017 model 730D last weekend.
              I was very impressed.
              They are not as big a car as I remember from owning the older E38 models.
              At the Time the E38 was a good bit bigger than most road cars and longer and wider than the 5er, but in time the 7er has stayed large while all of the other everyday cars, IE, hatchbacks and saloons etc have grown in size making the 7 seem average.
              probably very similar in size the the 6 series.
              I think the 6 series has a new 8 speed box and 2 Turbos and the 7 has the singe turbo.

Must google.

Comment

Originally posted by Rennwagen View Post

I was sitting I a 2017 model 730D last weekend.
                I was very impressed.
                They are not as big a car as I remember from owning the older E38 models.
                At the Time the E38 was a good bit bigger than most road cars and longer and wider than the 5er, but in time the 7er has stayed large while all of the other everyday cars, IE, hatchbacks and saloons etc have grown in size making the 7 seem average.
                probably very similar in size the the 6 series.
                I think the 6 series has a new 8 speed box and 2 Turbos and the 7 has the singe turbo.

Must google.
                I think the 730 has the single turbo and the 735 has a twin turbo (both 3.0 IIRC)
                2005 Alfa 166 2.0TS Grigio Geo - Daily Driver
                2003 Alfa 156 1.8TS Sportwagon Blu Cosmo
                2001 Alfa 166 3.0 Proteo Rosso - The Beast - resting for now
                2000 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Auto Verde Argo - the Baby
                1999 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Grigio Nettuno - Track Car
                1984 Alfasud 1.5 Gold Cloverleaf Florentine Copper - the other Baby

Comment

I always thought they only made the 730D,never seen 735?

Comment

Originally posted by Titan View Post
                    I always thought they only made the 730D,never seen 735?
                    The 740d has the twin turbo setup

Comment

Yeah that makes sense.

Comment

Theres a 745 E aswell but I havent googled the power plant just yet but it's probably getting up over budget anyway.

Comment

The 745e is a hybrid which includes a 3.0l 6 cylinder and produces around 390bhp but as it was only brought to market a couple of years ago you're looking at a €70k+ entry point. The previous hybrid 7er was the 740e which mated a less sonorous 2.0l 4 cylinder powerplant to the electric motor and you're talking €50k+ for one of those.

Comment

5/6/7 are using the same platform afaik. I think this is why the 5-series started getting a bit bloated and why the step up to the 7-series is smaller these days.
                            I'm with the resistance

Comment

Originally posted by ElDel View Post
                              The 745e is a hybrid which includes a 3.0l 6 cylinder and produces around 390bhp but as it was only brought to market a couple of years ago you're looking at a €70k+ entry point. The previous hybrid 7er was the 740e which mated a less sonorous 2.0l 4 cylinder powerplant to the electric motor and you're talking €50k+ for one of those.
                              A mate of mine went from a f10 530d to a 740e. 4-banger hybrid. He prefers the 530d and is considering chopping the 7 in for a 640d.

Comment

I have to say I don't see the point in these gran coupe type cars. If you are going to use up the real estate of the footprint of a large yoke the best way to go is an estate.

Comment

Working...
                                X