Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW petrol or diesel dilemmas

As a self confessed Mfunfer In former times,
    I would have had a selection of 6 pot petrol variants of BMW M and non M as potentials and was spoiled for choice with high road tax low MPG returns that nobody else wanted but these days the power to weight to luxury to hybrid variants and D options returning good MpGs on the market has thrown up plenty of owner ship options and questions for potential owners.

I have been pondering all sorts of 6 pots over the past 2 years, funnily they all end with Z, such as the Z4Mz , E46 M3z, E90/2 M3z, 640dz, 330ez, 530Ez all in similar power bracket and 15 to 35k price bracket.

There was a period after 2008 where 6 pots where considered over indulgence by motorists and discarded in favour of more tax and fuel efficient variants and over the next few years they mostly disappeared in favour of the 2.0dz with Shitty reliability and slush boxes but as time has moved on slightly, thankfully and completely against the green vein, we are now faced with several flappy paddle with low tax comparable in power and performance versions to arguably the best Mcar ever built in the E46 M3 and all in similar price brackets.
    This time I'm completely cofused as to what to buy.

I'm thinking 4 doors for practicality, E90 M3z, 640Dz are top of the pile... for now any way.

Long drives to europe and german race tracks is the main goal and I own a couple of race cars so absute road pace is not really a consideration once the car can hold it's own in a straight line.

D is hard to over look for power to weight to MPG and comfort on a long spin would suggest the 640D 4 door ticks a lot of boxes but the M3 rasp In 6 or 8 pots is so addictive and I miss owning a proper Mpower and manual gear box option but everything is pointing to A 6 pot Turbo D auto box.

Im thinking 30k budget.

Talk some sense Into me please..
    Last edited by Rennwagen; 13-11-2021, 10:12 AM.

The 330e and 530e are four bangers with an electric motor, by the way. You can’t trust BMW’s numbers no more.

Re the question, if you want some M then buy an M and if you want some diesel clatter then buy that. The BMW six cyl diesels aren’t bad but diesel is diesel and nothing will change that. I don’t think they’re that economical either, I guess BMW were just particularly good at fudging the CO2. But they were also good at doing it on the turbo petrols hence many a Mx40i on this forum. And maybe that’s the best compromise, something like a 340i if they exist in Ireland?
    I'm with the resistance

Comment

Buy an E46 M3….. stop fooking about with Diesels. Your race car is diesel so box ticked there.

life really is too short. BUY THE M3

Comment

Oh and to my house as soon as you have it please

Comment

Sounds like you need a C63 to be honest! Will cruise all day in total comfort and then rip your face off when the mood takes you.
          Current: '08 Mercedes-Benz C63 //AMG
          Previous:

Comment

Sorry to go sLightly OT but sure it’s BR, but Peter I’m curious given the usual time spent finding the right one, why you moved it on relatively soon, just market stuff or didn’t bond?
            They’re very much on my radar if the car market ever returns to some kind of normality.
            I remember having a similar gra for the V8 RS6 wagon but fq340 of these parts burst that bubble with talk of suspension, dsg but mostly just too big & heavy to really horse down Irish backroads , just wondering if it’s similar reasons?

Comment

I have a 235i and regular use of a 640D.

Normally I’d be all anti diesel but it just works so well in the 6 series. For your continental touring i couldn’t think of anything better than the Grand coupe 640d, proper fast, comfortable cruise missiles. Engine is smooth and quiet and gets decent MPG (not great tho) and the 8 speed ZF is perfect.

But I always wondered how a car as large as the 6 series has far less cabin space than my 235i. We have a regular coupe but I imagine the GC offers a chunk more room.

Anyway for what you plan to use it for I wouldn’t bother with an M personally unless you just want one above all else. Get the 640D, unless you can spring for a V8 petrol model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If it is mostly for long road trips the niceness of a nice petrol engine will be wasted.

Given that in the grand scheme of things both a 640d or E46/E92 M3 are both pretty slow cars these days then you might as well just get the car that is best suited to the driving you’ll be doing - IMO.

Comment

440i, Lexus RC...
                  https://www.usedcarsni.com/2017-BMW-...&search_type=1
                  https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...-2016/29681885
                  I’m standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused?? 🤨🤪

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                    If it is mostly for long road trips the niceness of a nice petrol engine will be wasted.

Given that in the grand scheme of things both a 640d or E46/E92 M3 are both pretty slow cars these days then you might as well just get the car that is best suited to the driving you’ll be doing - IMO.
                    In the grand scheme of things they’re both still fast cars - roughly 5 secs to 60 and limited to 155mph. There are obviously cars that are faster these days, but that doesn’t mean these are slow.

I find the 640d just as quick as my old M3 in the real world - and it doesn’t need you to wring it’s neck to get the power out of it. I’m over a year into ownership and honestly don’t know what I could replace it with. It’s perfect for a long drive and appeases me when I’m feeling like a hooligan. The thought of paying out a big motortax bill every year again really doesn’t appeal to me a single bit at this stage.

And let’s be honest - were all going to be taxed out of all of these cars in the not too distant future.

Comment

I will concede that when compared to a slow car they're fast

Comment

Originally posted by Rennwagen View Post

BMW P or D dilemma(ass)
                        I saw the thread title and opened it expecting to see a report of some random problem with a BMW autobox and problems selecting (P)ark or (D)rive.

Instead it's a toss up between buying an unreliable Petrol, or an unreliable Diesel. Thread title fail.

Comment

On a more positive and suggestive approach - why not buy a LHD Petrol 6 or 8 cyl. from the continent and run it on LPG? If continental ground covering and cruising is where it'll cover most miles then LPG is widely available and much cheaper on the continent than both petrol and diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by deltona View Post

I saw the thread title and opened it expecting to see a report of some random problem with a BMW autobox and problems selecting (P)ark or (D)rive.

Instead it's a toss up between buying an unreliable Petrol, or an unreliable Diesel. Thread title fail.
                            I was half pissed when I posted the title.
                            I'm not sure what i was trying to say.🙈

Comment

Originally posted by foyler View Post
                              Sorry to go sLightly OT but sure it’s BR, but Peter I’m curious given the usual time spent finding the right one, why you moved it on relatively soon, just market stuff or didn’t bond?
                              They’re very much on my radar if the car market ever returns to some kind of normality.
                              I remember having a similar gra for the V8 RS6 wagon but fq340 of these parts burst that bubble with talk of suspension, dsg but mostly just too big & heavy to really horse down Irish backroads , just wondering if it’s similar reasons?
                              Great car, loved it. I tend to use my cars extensively rather than sparingly. I put 11k miles on it in 8 months, it was my daily, I brought it for Sunday morning hoons etc and was ready to experience the next thing. Taking the 2 car approach now which means the weekend car doesn’t have to be a 4 door, and also prevents putting boring miles on a special car.

I'd highly recommend one if you’re on the fence!
                              Current: '08 Mercedes-Benz C63 //AMG
                              Previous:

Comment

Working...
                              X