Tell me about the Alfa Giulietta...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about the Alfa Giulietta...

So following on from the gearbox thread my wife wants a change from the little 500.... I suspect she is finally admitting its ridiculously small for a house with 3 teenagers and 2 dogs....

So she has spotted the Alfa Giulietta in 1.4 Turbo petrol form... Anyone have any experience on these?? It simply cant be any worse than the 156 she had years ago... can ti??

Mick

I'm dailying a 156SW 1.8. I like it.
    I've heard no bad reports about the Giuliettas.
    No harm asking here Mick:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/AlfaRomeoIRELAND
    I'm sure that there a few Giulietta owners on there.
    Last edited by Roarsbaby; 05-11-2021, 03:17 PM.
    2005 Alfa 166 2.0TS Grigio Geo - Daily Driver
    2003 Alfa 156 1.8TS Sportwagon Blu Cosmo
    2001 Alfa 166 3.0 Proteo Rosso - The Beast - resting for now
    2000 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Auto Verde Argo - the Baby
    1999 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Grigio Nettuno - Track Car
    1984 Alfasud 1.5 Gold Cloverleaf Florentine Copper - the other Baby

Comment

I came close to buying a 1.8 TBi model with all the bells and whistles.

I ended up buying a 159 ti instead.

Its fast, it handles well, but the switchgear, steeringwheel, and ...plastic... made me just cave my money, and save up for a Giulia.
      "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
      "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by hi-rev View Post
        ...but the switchgear, steeringwheel, and ...plastic... made me just cave my money, and save up for a Giulia.
        Came here to say the same.

I was in a Giulietta a few months ago and couldn’t get over the fact that most of the switchgear and dash, steering wheel etc looked and felt the same as the 2008 Fiat Bravo I’ve been driving since April.
        There's no light, There's only fire!

Comment

As far as I'm aware the Giulietta is genuinely one of the most reliable cars in that class. They have a fantastic reputation and have been in production for so long there can't be much to go wrong with them. They still look modern for such an old car design.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

I drove a 1.6d for the guts of a year in 2011 and liked it at the time. Covered 25,000kms with no issues, as you'd hope with a new car. It was nippy enough for a small diesel and pretty good on fuel.

Comment

My 2.0 diesel has 170k miles on it and no problems since I bought it at 150k miles. Not a very involved drive and the milktray plastic dashboard as mentioned could be better, but least it doesn't rattle. Electric window switch is all I've had to worry about.

Comment

One more thing: I drove the 1.4TBi (same engine as the Giulietta) and it really had two driving modes; either you drove like a grandma on the way back from mass, or like you were Ari Vatanen and late for mass.
                There was no in between.

But the QV Giulietta handled decent, pretty similar to the 156, actually.
                "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..

Comment

Good cars the giulietta, service them and do the belts on time unlike you did with the 156 😂
                  They've none of the consumable suspension components like the 156 or 159, petrol engines are great but if its multiair oil and filter changes are critical and regular plug changes

Comment

All the stuff above is true, but I bought a 2011 170bhp 2.0jtdm and it's a nice peppy drive.

A bit of a rumble from front left that I am hoping is a wheel bearing.

On that subject anybody know somebody to do gearbox repair for less than a grand?

Comment

Originally posted by peadar View Post
                      Good cars the giulietta, service them and do the belts on time unlike you did with the 156 😂
                      They've none of the consumable suspension components like the 156 or 159, petrol engines are great but if its multiair oil and filter changes are critical and regular plug changes
                      Ah yes, good point!
                      Most people forget that the 1.4TBi engines have an oil filter, AND an engine multiair oil filter, and this needs to be changed as well.
                      Its a DIY job, but it needs to be done regularly. And noone ever does it.

Sure, I changed the oil filter.
                      - No I mean, the engine oil filter.
                      Sure I changed the engine oil filter, it's not like that there is another, geez man.
                      - No, I mean the multi-air oil filter on top of the engine.
                      Whaaaat??

Comment

Originally posted by hi-rev View Post

Ah yes, good point!
                        Most people forget that the 1.4TBi engines have an oil filter, AND an engine multiair oil filter, and this needs to be changed as well.
                        Its a DIY job, but it needs to be done regularly. And noone ever does it.

Sure, I changed the oil filter.
                        - No I mean, the engine oil filter.
                        Sure I changed the engine oil filter, it's not like that there is another, geez man.
                        - No, I mean the multi-air oil filter on top of the engine.
                        Whaaaat??

I did a bit of reading up on these a few years back, the only common “fault” was people not changing the multi air filter causing damage long term. Fairly bulletproof car it seems, I’d have no qualms about buying one

Comment

Nice to drive for sure. And good looking. The 1.4t is a lovely engine. I drove it, the diesels and the QV and, for me, the 1.4 was the pick of the bunch.

I found the QV had too much firmness with not enough ability as a reward. The lower spec models had a better balance.

On thing I couldn't stand on the car was that there's no footrest on RHD, not even space beside the clutch to rest your foot and give your weary ankle a break. If Mrs Mick can live with that I'd say she'd like the car.
                          Sent from my Computer using a fcuking keyboard

Comment

Also easy enough to work on. Just did timing belt on the 2.0 diesel today. Straightforward enough and didn't take too long. Maybe 5 hours and I do less than 1 belt every year so a fairly big learning curve.

Comment

ok so all good news.... the one I was interested in is sold... no others available.... not buying a diesel...

Comment

Working...
                              X