Header

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And you thought Bangle was as bad as it got?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Agree the new 3 series grills look better in person.

    I see a dark grdark sport green one around D4 and actually think it looks great........

    Definitely not chrome though

    Comment


    • #17
      That is hideous. I never had any great issue with the Bangle generation, I did think the six series looked a bit goofy but that has grown on me in recent years. I think the new generation of BMW design is a at a total low point, specifically the four series. Every time a new M car came out I was longing for it, its the first time I've seen one and no way will I ever own one, despite how well it drives. I must the say the current M5 does look very well to my eyes, the CS looks epic.

      Comment


      • #18
        You leave Chris Bangle alone.
        "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

        Comment


        • #19
          It doesn't really matter anyway, you could put a BMW badge on a dog turd and people will still buy it! A perfect example is fellow that I work with 2 years ago:

          - Hey I got the new car! (shows me the BMW key)
          - Ah a BMW, very nice! What did you get?
          - A dark metallic blue with xx inch wheel!
          - No, what BMW did you get?
          - Oh, eh a 3-series. You have to check out the seats!
          - What 3-series did you get? what engine?
          - It's diesel, 2 L I think and it has those M badges!
          - ..........
          We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by markcro View Post
            It doesn't really matter anyway, you could put a BMW badge on a dog turd and people will still buy it! A perfect example is fellow that I work with 2 years ago:

            - Hey I got the new car! (shows me the BMW key)
            - Ah a BMW, very nice! What did you get?
            - A dark metallic blue with xx inch wheel!
            - No, what BMW did you get?
            - Oh, eh a 3-series. You have to check out the seats!
            - What 3-series did you get? what engine?
            - It's diesel, 2 L I think and it has those M badges!
            - ..........
            You could say that about a lot of marques...

            People still buying diesel Audis aswell, proudly bouncing on about S Lines!

            I do hate that whole M Badge on diesels.....nearly the same as milking Apple fans....

            Comment


            • #21
              As we enter into the "Climate Era", this is going to age poorly, very quickly.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by miller View Post

                You could say that about a lot of marques...

                People still buying diesel Audis aswell, proudly bouncing on about S Lines!

                I do hate that whole M Badge on diesels.....nearly the same as milking Apple fans....
                Oh very true! You haven't a clue about cars but you dream of owning a BMW/ Merc/ Audi. You haven't a clue about watches but you dream about owning a Rolex. Etc. etc.
                It doesn't matter what model, once you own the brand..........

                BMW bastardised the M-badge which then forced Merc to sell out their AMG badge and Ford their ST badge, etc.
                We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

                Comment


                • #23
                  I was actually always a fan of the Bengle era. The E63 M6 is in my top 3 BMW designs after the E46 and E39.

                  The latest designs are just plain ugly and I can’t see them aging well at all. Far too fussy.





                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    every time I see a new BMW grill I am reminded of the girl who within 24 hours of meeting her new boyfriend allowed him to tattoo his name across her face....



                    make of that what you will...

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by -MICK- View Post
                      every time I see a new BMW grill I am reminded of the girl who within 24 hours of meeting her new boyfriend allowed him to tattoo his name across her face....



                      make of that what you will...
                      So you're saying you instantly loved it?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I was disappointed with the new E36 3 series design when it replaced the E30. Similarly the E39 5 series design was a bit bland to me after they discontinued the E34 but in both cases I ended up buying these cars. The E36 looked cool to me by then at least in coupe form and the E39 just became known as the finest nearly affordable saloon car then in production so I bought one.

                        That never came near to happening with the E60 or any of the subsequent 3 series models. But I am so impressed with my S1000RR motorcycle that it has really improved my perception of the brand and am tending to overlook their eccentric grilles etc. I am thinking of an X5 as a possible replacement for my Landcruiser (second hand of course).

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by kdevitt View Post
                          I'm going to disagree completely on the E60, its as awful today as it was at launch imo. The headlights still look like Dame Edna's glasses.
                          The E60 really is marmite.
                          From day 1 I considered it a really nice design and thought fair play for moving away from the (very acceptable, though getting bland) corporate look that had evolved over 4 previous generations. The only slightly uncomfortable design element of the E60 is the space between the top of the rear quarter and wheel arch. Just a bit heavy looking. For Dame Edna, go Saab. The E60 design is so good that I bought one.
                          (Now if I could only find a decent shaving solution.)

                          The latest designs with the over excited nostrils... no thanks.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Jordanfaf View Post
                            I was actually always a fan of the Bengle era. The E63 M6 is in my top 3 BMW designs after the E46 and E39.

                            The latest designs are just plain ugly and I can’t see them aging well at all. Far too fussy.





                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            I always remember this being reviewed by Clarkson and him pointing out that when the boot is open,the profile on the rear arch slopes down,making the rear end looking very similar to that of the 911.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Another one who thinks the E60 in all guises still looks a mess. The E9x isn’t much better, despite the fact it’s the most modern BMW I’ve owned

                              Funnily enough, the E65 is the Bangle design I like the most. E32-aside I’ve always thought a 7-series to be a bit ungainly, and feel the mid-2000s 7 gets away with the weirdness

                              Peak BMW for looks is still the E34 though IMO, a design masterpiece!

                              I’m not really in the market for a modern BMW though, so they can make them as ugly as they like now

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I hated pretty much all bangles designs when they first came out except for the E82 1 series coupe. But over time I've come to love the E61 touring, I still think the bangle arse's on the E63 and E65 are horrendous. I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of the E9X platform either, even though I recently bought an E92 M3.

                                Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk


                                Last edited by alanmcgrathE34; 05-11-2021, 10:01 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X