Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

Hello everyone.

New to the forum. Been reading as a guest for a month or so.

Interested in buying a BMW 330e (after reading the thread on here)

Welcome along! Looks like they are going to be popular on here

Comment

Originally posted by fez View Post
      Welcome along! Looks like they are going to be popular on here
      Thanks.

Yeah, it's kinda funny, a hybrid at 252bhp stock and up to 320-360 after a map! If I could find a 2016/2017 330e xDrive for reasonable money (< €25k) would be pretty ideal.

Comment

They're a compelling option for sure, good luck on your search and welcome to the forum!
        Comic Sans, the choice of the professional.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, not driven an F30 330e but they return some impressive figures by all accounts. Nice platform to be in and generally well specced. If you can find one with Harmon Kardon its worth the extra money it may or may not command. Im a sucker now since landing the F31, hard to listen to non HK sounds.

Edit. There is also a viable alternative in the Merc 350e, one for sale on the forum at the moment... http://www.backroads.ie/forum/car-re...rid#post924684

Comment

Originally posted by zero86r View Post
            They're a compelling option for sure, good luck on your search and welcome to the forum!
            Thanks for the welcome

Comment

Originally posted by miller View Post
              Welcome to the forum, not driven an F30 330e but they return some impressive figures by all accounts. Nice platform to be in and generally well specced. If you can find one with Harmon Kardon its worth the extra money it may or may not command. Im a sucker now since landing the F31, hard to listen to non HK sounds.

Edit. There is also a viable alternative in the Merc 350e, one for sale on the forum at the moment... http://www.backroads.ie/forum/car-re...rid#post924684
              Thanks for the welcome.

yeah was looking at the 350e also. I'm not a huge fan of estate cars to be honest but that one yo liked looks very nice.

When comparing the cars the 330e comes out ahead in all areas on Zeperfs duels

Comment

The 330e is a really good car, I’ve passengered and driven vDubbin’s one over a long journey up to the bike races in Armoy.

Aside from being a great package and a genuinely excellent all rounder and being quite brisk which is always nice, there’s a couple of things I’d highlight that a keen driver should consider:

A. while certainly a BMW, it ‘feels’ quite different. You know the way you’d get into say an E39, or an X5, or a 7er and start down the road and they’re sort of broadly speaking kinda similar... this isn’t. It isn’t any one particular thing - the extra weight is well hidden even if there’s some of the usual 3er agility missing, the car feels RWD-y, it’s kinda enjoyable to drive, it’s certainly not going to be outpaced by most cars. But it just feels a bit off brand in a near imperceptible way. The body control is good, steering is actually ok, ride quality is good, it’s pacy etc. but there’s something that just doesn’t fuse for me.

B. The hybrid drive makes an utter cack of brake inputs when trying to shuffle down an Irish backroad. Now I do love a decent middle pedal, the E46 has it, the 996’s definitely has it and I also like a spot of trailbraking too to manipulate the oul mass and help corner entry when pushing awwwwn. What you get here is that on lift off from the throttle there’s sharp regenerative braking and then you’re never quite sure how much (friction) brake to dial in. The brake feel is also lacking.

BMW have a wonderful tradition of every now and then seemingly deciding to build a car after a few Weissbiers of a Friday. Take the E28 M5 (ah ya zis M1 engine vil fit in zas 5er), the Z1, the Z3M, the Z8, the 2002 Turbo and perhaps after drinking all weekend, the 2er Active Tourer, 5er GT and X6. But all joking aside, they do some cool things when they want to and it felt like with this they were like ok let’s whack out a hybrid and then get back to figuring out the new M4 or something. It seems like an afterthought from a marque that can really move the needle when it wants to and I feel like it was an opportunity missed.

1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
                2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
                2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring

Comment

Great write up Flet !

The main purpose of this car will be 5km to work and 5km back home (mostly) when the weather isn't suitable for the bike or bicycle.

The occasional spin to Waterford/Cork/Kerry/Clare/Galway/Donegal (very occasional - maybe 3 or 4 times a year to any of those destinations)

Also I have a 'toy' with near on 400bhp for the summer C&C's etc.

Comment

Now you’re talking! It makes a lot of sense as a DD with a more mad yoke to back it up.
                    1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
                    2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
                    2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring

Comment

Originally posted by Flet View Post
                      Now you’re talking! It makes a lot of sense as a DD with a more mad yoke to back it up.
                      The 330e appears to fit the bill. The road tax is €170/180 a year (couple that with my toy €710/yr - for less than €900/yr both taxed), next year the toy will be eligible for vintage tax so will need a DD.

Comment

More on the toy please?! On 2.0L tax and pushing 400bhp and nearly vintage tax, I'm guessing it's an early Evo or Scoob?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Comment

This toy could be a good one,could even be a Cossie 4x4.

Comment

Originally posted by hooch View Post
                            More on the toy please?! On 2.0L tax and pushing 400bhp and nearly vintage tax, I'm guessing it's an early Evo or Scoob?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk
                            You're in the right space alright

Comment

Originally posted by Micky View Post
                              This toy could be a good one,could even be a Cossie 4x4.
                              Never got into them and there was about 3 in my town growing up! - All got ragged

Comment

Working...
                              X