Any ID4 owners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMZ View Post

And ID4’s don’t have a heat pump so will chew a lot of power when it gets colder.
    What is this and which EVs have them? Best ever cold weather accessory in a car was a 1 cyl aux engine to warm things up in a Range Rover I had. Mind you it got about 20 mpg on a really good day and it was a diesel.
    sigpichttps://mingshitters.wordpress.com/

Comment

A Porsche doesn't have it as standard of course but I think practically anything premium has it. You need to check on each model. You should get it otherwise you'll burn electrons in the winter. It doesn't have anything to do with pre-heating, all EVs can do that. The heat pump is a more efficient way to heat the car (or a house). I wouldn't buy an EV without it personally.
      I'm with the resistance

Comment

Originally posted by hooch View Post
        That's disappointing really, I would have thought 400 would be more of a realistic range. 250kms is terrible really.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk
        I couldn't get 400km out of it from day one. Even driving like a blue-rinse. 250km might be a bit unfair, its probably closer to 300, but nowhere near advertised distance.
        As an example, on monday morning, I had charged the car fully, set out from limerick to Dublin early in the morning, temp was around 7 celsius.
        did 215km and then fully charged it again at work. It took 52.06 kw. (max usable in the ID4 is 77kwh)
        That's 24.21 kwh/100km giving an effective range of 300km max.
        as people have said, you will get more out of it if you drive slower, but feck that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy Taxman View Post

I couldn't get 400km out of it from day one. Even driving like a blue-rinse. 250km might be a bit unfair, its probably closer to 300, but nowhere near advertised distance.
          As an example, on monday morning, I had charged the car fully, set out from limerick to Dublin early in the morning, temp was around 7 celsius.
          did 215km and then fully charged it again at work. It took 52.06 kw. (max usable in the ID4 is 77kwh)
          That's 24.21 kwh/100km giving an effective range of 300km max.
          as people have said, you will get more out of it if you drive slower, but feck that.
          Totally, I wouldn't be buying one to do 100km on the motorway that's for sure, neither would the wife, she's worse than me for the heavy boot at times.
          looked at a few numbers this morning and it wouldn't really add up for us to move into one yet, VW are charging 4.9% on the Life model currently (suspect that's more to do with the shortages than anything else, i've heard Q2-Q3 next year for expected delivery if ordered now), so the numbers don't add up, it would be over €200 a month more than we are paying on the Ateca we have currently, that's unless I've massively underestimated the GMV. We use roughly 2 tanks of petrol a month currently as she is still WFH but on a rotation, so she's in the office for a full week every 4 weeks or so.

I know with all these type of purchases the TCO is the number to look at but even at that it wouldn't add up. There's also no used ones out there at all really.

Comment

I've gotten over 400 KMs during the summer alright, just about. Any of the current EV's aren't suitable for everyone. If you are frequently doing long motorway journeys and you don't have access to fast charging facilitates at your destination they are not for you. If your driving patterns mean you can potter about during the day within a 350KM range and charge up overnight at home an EV will work out well for you.

Comment

I rented a Bosch ID4 “Pro” today. The white colour suited it. Because it’s a rental I will be a bit blunt but I think fair. I did about 300km in it on a bunch of different roads and speeds so I think I have a reasonably good understanding of it and I also charged it twice so covered that bit too.

If you have any interest in driving, do not buy this car. Let’s just make that clear. I think it’s quite possibly the dullest car I have driven in years. It may or may not matter but the acceleration is quite dull too by EV standards. Certainly none of the OMFG this is fast that you get in some EVs.

But there are many dull cars out there but this one doesn’t make diesel noises or in fact really any noises at all. It’s nicely refined. The stereo is not bad either and can possibly be upgraded to something even better. And despite what you might have read, the interior is nice. Typical VAG. Seats were comfortable also and plenty of space.

What puzzled me about it was that it had every imaginable gizmo in terms of radars and cameras and warned me all the time about stuff but it couldn’t drive itself. Maybe it can but I spent hours in the car so if it can do it then it’s far from obvious and I’ve enabled that feature in minutes in many other cars. I would strongly suggest getting a version of this car that can drive itself because then I would imagine it would be at its best. There is certainly no reason to drive it yourself.

Another thing that surprised was that it didn’t have any fancy lights as far as I could work out at least. With all those gizmos you’d think fully automatic lights would be a cinch. I think I would expect a car like this to manage all aspects of the lights itself.

I’m sure this can be turned off (and should be turned off along with the lane positioning :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D) but it tries to do clever things with the cruise control and speed limits. This would make endless amounts of sense if it could drive itself (and not occasionally misread signs) but it basically adjusts the speed according to the speed limit. So when you’re coming into a town/village then it will gradually drop the speed coming into the town and then gradually increase it on the way out. The same if there’s a roundabout coming up. The problem, though, is that it sometimes reads the signs wrong or has faulty sat nav data or is just buggy and will suddenly decide that the speed limit is 100km/h in the middle of a 50km/h zone. That will wake you up. This happened several times, by the way.

Someone asked about the ride. This car rides like most EVs. It’s very heavy obviously and the ride can get a bit choppy and bouncy as it tries to control the weight. It’s not terrible by any means and absolutely fine on motorways and such things and as noted you are far removed from the action so you get kind of a dull bounce. There is absolutely no reason to push it, in fact I would strongly advice against it, so once you wallow along then it’ll be fine.

The infotainment is not bad. Does wireless CarPlay etc and once you’ve got that going the rest doesn’t matter really. The climate controls are quite bad but personally unless I’m in a convertible I never ever change them so who cares really. You tap them a couple of times first time in the car and you’re sorted.

I was visiting some folks so I let the lady in the house give it a go as I suspect this is the target market. I don’t know if she was blown away by it but certainly wouldn’t say no if it showed up on the driveway. Easy to drive, comfortable, quiet, spacious, has a bit of poke, and has a modern feel to it without having gone crazy on the design inside or out.
              I'm with the resistance

Comment

Not quite the same but i've an id3 Style and two kids and its absolutely great. Its plenty big for what we need. I think it cost me around €37k back in july. It was brand new. I had looked at an id4 but they were around €14k more for a similar spec car.

The id3 i got has a few nice extras like pano sunroof, led matrix lights, privacy glass, bigger 19" wheels, adaptive cruise control etc etc.

Ive the EO mini home charger and it puts 43kms of range into the car every hour its charging. I charge it up to 80% which has settled at 6000kms to 290kms of real world useage. If i charge it up to 100% it gets around 360kms.

If your going around 110kms on the motorway its absolutely fine. The range is as stated. I think once you are at 120kmh, it will go through it a bit quicker.

My mam bought an id4 a month after i bought the id3. Its better inside and there is more room but i didn't think it was much craic to drive. Don't get me wrong, neither are going to blow you away in terms of engagement like a manual petrol peformance car, but there is something very rewarding about owning one and living with it. You soon learn to live and adapt with it and tbh I don't even think about the range as the battery is a good size as is.

Imo its one of the best daily car to own if you have something performance based for the weekends etc.

XQXzOsH.jpg
                Last edited by Kearney; 07-11-2021, 09:52 PM.

Comment

I can't imagine suffering and dying of boredom in such a thing (in fairness my 530D isn't much more interesting) unless you have what's behind it or similar also.
                  sigpichttps://mingshitters.wordpress.com/

Comment

Just to round this out, he got his ID4 today, and is very happy. Thanks everyone for the feedback.
                    ​​​
                    www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
                      I can't imagine suffering and dying of boredom in such a thing (in fairness my 530D isn't much more interesting) unless you have what's behind it or similar also.
                      In case it matters, a 530d is much better than an ID4.
                      I'm with the resistance

Comment

I personally wouldn't worry about the heat pump.
                        only a problem if your pushing to max range regularly which very few do.
                        You won't notice a few extra KW gone with a 60 something kw battery.

The battery heating system in the vws sucks massive amount of juice.

Comment

Isn’t the idea with paying for a particular battery size that you’re planning to use it?
                          I'm with the resistance

Comment

Originally posted by DMZ View Post
                            I rented a Bosch ID4 “Pro” today. .
                            Haha Brilliant.

VW have a fight on their hands in the next few years, it's hard to see what a dullmobile like the ID4 offers over an Xpeng P5, which will be available in Norway soon, probably rest of Europe later. Even has self driving if you care about that sort of thing.

https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

I drove the ID4 around our very rural country roads last night... And I liked it. Things like the regen braking I reckon would be nice when you get used to it. Nice (and probably essential!) it puts on the brake lights too whilst doing it.
                              www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by crank_case View Post

Haha Brilliant.

VW have a fight on their hands in the next few years, it's hard to see what a dullmobile like the ID4 offers over an Xpeng P5, which will be available in Norway soon, probably rest of Europe later. Even has self driving if you care about that sort of thing.

Agreed. The Renault CEO said the other day that unless they start differentiating on enjoyment or excitement then they will be eaten by the Chinese, or words to that effect.
                                I'm with the resistance

Comment

Working...
                                X