Full car respray, any painters here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Datsunjay View Post
    I contacted 2 other garages today, both have no interest in doing a full respray. I'm actually thinking of buying the gear and doing it myself........how hard can it be.........
    A friend of mine (Tristan)and a regular poster here has painted his own car and is encouraging me to paint mine too.
    As we all know the quality of finish is all down to prep, if the time is put into prep when you’re not on an hourly rate I believe a good job could be done.
    My concern would be paint reactions, water contamination, things like that, plus the investment in hardware such as compressor, guns and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Neilo View Post

A friend of mine (Tristan)and a regular poster here has painted his own car and is encouraging me to paint mine too.
      As we all know the quality of finish is all down to prep, if the time is put into prep when you’re not on an hourly rate I believe a good job could be done.
      My concern would be paint reactions, water contamination, things like that, plus the investment in hardware such as compressor, guns and so on.
      I think it might be the way to go......I'm going to start researching it more, as you say it's all in the prep.

I think practicing on a few old panels first would be the way to go

Comment

My recommendation:

Nice good value spray gun :

https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/in....M6xUg4pY.dpbs

Then a good solid little compressor with a good air flow rate:

https://ige.ie/pacini-50-litre-compr...p-12-8cfm-1797

Both the above vendors are good.

And then run it through some copper piping with a drain valve at the low point to cool the air and to condense and clear out the water (this is the key magic ingredient to good DIY spray painting: a consistent and adequate flow rate of cool dry air)

You can put a water vapour filter at the gun also, if you wish, and put a good pressure regulator after the copper piping, before a shortish hose to the gun, to keep your pressure and flow consistent. If you like, you can add a cheat regulator/valve at the gun, above the water filter, but it adds to the bulk and weight of the gun assembly. The API cheat valve is one of the best and is reasonably priced. But if you set the main regulator correctly, and the hose to the gun is not too long, then you may find that your pressure at the gun remains constant without the cheat valve.

Total cost under 500 EUR.

Do whatever you need to to keep paint spray away from your body and out of your lungs.

Then practice a lot. And remember "Shine is fine, but flat is where it's at"
        Last edited by stooge166; 01-11-2021, 02:09 PM.

Comment

I've a car that needs doing next year (will be stripped 100%).
          6k sounds like madness. I'm expecting to pay 3k.

Comment

My 2 cents as I've DIY painted a few cars completely and some panels on cars.

50l Compressor will be stopping all the time. I would say 200l min, but on a single phase power the amount of CFM if can produce means it's going to be chugging all the time and you might need to take a few minutes break depending on the size of the car.

Clean booth. Even with good equipment, you will want to work hard to get the cleanest paint area you can. You'll need fans and filters at a minimum and some decent lighting if you want to see how you are laying the paint down.

But you can get it nice with a bit of practice. however no matter how good your painting is you'll want to make sure your prep is 100%, and that takes a lot of time, If you have the time thats grand, but its fairly tedious work at the best of time, unless the car is already in good condition.

Comment

True, the 50L capacity is just barely a buffer. The one I posted does have a twin piston 3hp pump though. Yes, at 50L you would have the compressor starting with higher frequency, hence the need for cooling pipework and plenty of breaks. A larger compressor from the same provider is https://ige.ie/pacini-200-litre-10-bar-compressor-1657, but is also 600 Euros.

Note, also I recommended a Low Volume gun to keep the CFM requirements to a reasonable level.

Strip fluorescent lights, yes indeed.

Clean booth! Ah comon' dave! Spray down the shed floor with water and pick the flies out with a tweezers.
              Last edited by stooge166; 01-11-2021, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stooge166 View Post

Clean booth! Ah comon' dave! Spray down the shed floor with water and pick the flies out with a tweezers.
                It's only because I've done both that I wouldn't recommend both
                Last edited by dave.irl; 01-11-2021, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.irl View Post

It's only because I've done both that I wouldn't recommend both
                  And the truth implicit in what you are saying is that if you want a complete and proper respray, and unless your time is abundant and cheap, then a few thousand euro to an expert in a well equipped spray shop, is not at all a bad investment.

Personally, I just enjoy having a go once in a while.
                  Last edited by stooge166; 01-11-2021, 05:08 PM.

Comment

I actually repainted a car a few years ago. The results weren't great. I had to do it twice and both times I got blooming.
                    It was November/December so damp and cold. In hindsight I would do it in summer.

I'm not put off by the idea though as it was very close to being a passable/good job. So with a bit of practice I reckon it can be done.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Shiels Garage in Portarlington (057 86 23938) get a lot of restoration work as well as the usual insurance jobs, bangs & knocks.

I've seen everything from a 1930's Standard to a Hilux Surf pass though their doors.

They painted my Prelude in WR1 blue fifteen years ago. My uncle is still driving it around today!

Comment

My car is in primer now and the bill currently stands at 2k. Estimate is about 4k done + all the parts that need to be bought but including paint and panel beating consumables. It’s a friend doing it and I’ve asked him to spare no expense on finish, materials like filler and use the best paint.

There was also some minor rust repairs to a couple of panels where patches needed to be done and most panels had a major dent which needed work.

I don’t think 6k is out of the way all things considered but you really can’t tell until the job gets underway.

The fear with paint is that you’ll get a :D:D:D:D job done and in no time at all it looks worse than before it was done. You get what you pay for when it comes to a man’s time and paint is all in the prep.

The other thing is that lads have lost the run of themselves of late, my friend told me he knows a chap he was in FAS with and he has a customer who has gone to the credit union to get the price of painting his early shape toyota avensis which he is restoring. We are surely close to a large recession when that sort of madness is afoot so maybe it’s best to wait a while to get this kind of work done?
                        Poor punctuation and spelling via iPhone keyboard & odd words here and there via autocorrect

Comment

Working...
                        X