Cashing in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alanmcgrathE34 View Post
    I Just put a deposit down on a new car for the wife. We weren't planning to change the car for another year but with the current market I said I'd see would it be worth trading it in now. The dealer offered us just over 2k less than what we paid for it new nearly 2 years ago. I was thinking I'd be doing well to get 6-7k less, So it was a no brainer really.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Mind me asking what you traded in and what you replaced it with? We have a 202 car that we were also thinking of trading in for some sort of EV but there's little to no stock anywhere at the minute

Comment

Originally posted by hooch View Post

Mind me asking what you traded in and what you replaced it with? We have a 202 car that we were also thinking of trading in for some sort of EV but there's little to no stock anywhere at the minute
      We're trading in a SEAT Tarraco XC for a new order Skoda Enyaq. The Enyaq won't be ready until March though. I think we got a bit lucky though because the VRT changes this year and next year mean the price of a new Tarraco will have gone up over 12k from what we paid new two years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by alanmcgrathE34 View Post
        We're trading in a SEAT Tarraco XC for a new order Skoda Enyaq. The Enyaq won't be ready until March though. I think we got a bit lucky though because the VRT changes this year and next year mean the price of a new Tarraco will have gone up over 12k from what we paid new two years ago.

Very good we have an Ateca FR ourselves. We would be interested in making a similar move but I suspect the Enyaq may be a bit out of out price range.

Comment

Very good we have an Ateca FR ourselves. We would be interested in making a similar move but I suspect the Enyaq may be a bit out of out price range.
          Definitely worth enquiring anyway, the base enyaq 60 is about 38k after grants, which is about par with with a new Ateca FR. The only thing, I was shocked at how poor the enyaq was speced. so you could easily add another few grand on optional extras.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0koda_Enyaq_iV

The name is derived from the Irish name Enya, which originates from the Gaelic word ‘eithne’, meaning ‘essence, spirit or principle’. The Enyaq is the first model of a new naming convention within the Škoda's range where electric models' names will start with ‘E’
            I assume she'll be along shortly to sue Skoda for breach of trademark or something

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBoy View Post
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0koda_Enyaq_iV

I assume she'll be along shortly to sue Skoda for breach of trademark or something
              Probably more to tell them their explanation for the meaning of her name. Which is total horse :D:D:D:D.

Comment

Isn't it gas the way the market has gone, being offered more than you paid for cars used to be exclusive to supercar owners. Now everyone can get in on the act!
                The way I see it - for me at least - is that if I let go any of the fleet now I’d never get another, certainly not with the UK importing ruled out. And that, to me would mean the end of the hobby. I think cashing in/out now is a short term exercise.

Mind you I have an awful goo for a German LHD W140, ideally in LWB. Not an 8 or a 12, just a nice tough she’s got six son that’ll run forever.
                1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
                2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
                2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring

Comment

I think I am done with the car game, I have been priced out of it as a hobby as I just cant agree with the current pricing where a car I know was worth 4k three years ago is now going for 12k and is no better than it was 3 years back, I dont think I will get a better car than the 350z in the current market so will stick with that.
                  My car history:
                  1995 Honda Civic, 2002 Honda Civic Vtec-i,1998 FTO GX, 1998 Toyota Chaser, 1995 Toyota Supra, 2001 Toyota MR2, 2007 Nissan Cube, 2003 Nissan Fairlady Z

Comment

I'm thinking the same tbh. Parts are gone crazy. I'm almost finished the twincam now and was toying with selling it but think I'll keep it as I don't think I'll get another again. Same for the Altezza and mx5.

Comment

The current market is best suited to those who can sell something and don't need to replace it immediately. I don't think this will be a case of things forever going up and up in value so it just comes down to how long you are willing to wait.

For the regular car market I believe that values of most used petrol and diesel cars will fall off a cliff once EVs make up a larger % of the used cars for sale out there, which isn't that far away.

Comment

It's hard to disagree with that outlook Ryan I'd say.

Your standard petrol/diesel commuter/family car will be less desireable to the average
                        owner once range anxiety due to much more widely available chargers and the far less costly to run EV's
                        become more common.

Comment

Ryan the’ve killed the Hell Cat... https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...s-are-numbered

Not that the Hell Cat was ever a feasible motor for the likes of me, barring a lotto win, but I’ve been saying it for ages, VRT is going up again, new registrations of exotica are on the demise here, so much so that even the hot hatches are dying off, what’s here is here and won’t get any cheaper to import or buy new. “They’re” doing everything twist our mentality towards EV, petrols’ price through the roof and increased vrt etc. Whatever about about regular appliances, but for enthusiast motors, buy now or be happy with what you’ve got.

I also think with Covid hanging around, the demand for the regular appliance motor will remain as personal transport is less risk, that and the fact the the UK tap of second hand cars has been turned off means that appliance motors will still retain some value.
                          I’m standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused?? 🤨🤪

Comment

I've become increasingly sceptical of evs as of late. Volkswagen are in a lawsuit currently over an id4 loosing 7% of its range in the 1st year. So I don't know who is going to want one after 10 years imo. So the diesel and petrols that are here will always retain a decent value.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazg2 View Post
                              Ryan the’ve killed the Hell Cat... https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...s-are-numbered

. “They’re” doing everything twist our mentality towards EV, petrols’ price through the roof and increased vrt etc. Whatever about about regular appliances, but for enthusiast motors, buy now or be happy with what you’ve got.

I agree on getting taxed into oblivion. But I still think there is massive speculation for enthusiast motors driving up the price as well. So I think there could still be a correction.
                              But probably not to pre pandemic prices unfortunately.

Comment

A lot of your “pre-Covid” was cheap sterling and cars priced based on the more expensive sterling and big discounts when new so that was always a temporary situation anyhow.

At least motor tax isn’t retrospectively affected so it’s all about new cars. And they’re mostly electrified anyhow so at least we can get them with low tax if one wants to make the switch. Or keep trucking if that’s the preference.

I’m pretty sure Tiguan stuff will get replaced with EVs. I don’t know if that means old Tiguans will be worthless but hard to see why there’s a premium. I guess the ubiquitous 5-series will be replaced by Tesla Model 3’s unless BMW shapes up.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X