X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neilo
    replied
    Originally posted by mk2glenn View Post

Nope. Still far more expensive to import most cars. Aswell as the duty & VAT to be paid, VRT has gone up significantly not to mention to increased hassle of importing as opposed to pre-Brexit.

For example, a vehicle I was interested in last week was costing €50,000 to import & register here. Similar models here are currently making €35-38,000.
    That’s fair enough, I haven’t been tracking prices other than the reports of used prices increasing.

Leave a comment:

• DMZ
    replied
    I'm not looking at vintage cars but I can't say I've noticed increases on cars I've browsed of late. Still same cars for sale that were there the last time I looked a few months ago for the same money so I'm sure a serious enquiry/offer would be a good bit below what they're asking. The only thing I noticed was a quite keenly priced Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio that sold in like a day. So keenly priced sells, everything else [that I'm looking at] seems to be stuck. I'm not seeing any correlation with UK prices + fees.

Leave a comment:

• mk2glenn
    replied
    Originally posted by Neilo View Post
    Have the crazy price increases on cars not put them at a level equal to the UK yet?
    People will just go back to buying from the UK, paying the vat and duty if the car costs the same here.
    Nope. Still far more expensive to import most cars. Aswell as the duty & VAT to be paid, VRT has gone up significantly not to mention to increased hassle of importing as opposed to pre-Brexit.

For example, a vehicle I was interested in last week was costing €50,000 to import & register here. Similar models here are currently making €35-38,000.

Leave a comment:

• Neilo
    replied
    Have the crazy price increases on cars not put them at a level equal to the UK yet?
    People will just go back to buying from the UK, paying the vat and duty if the car costs the same here.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny_Limerick
    replied
    Originally posted by crank_case View Post

It would be nice, but other than wishful thinking, do you have any basis to think this would happen?
    Enough pressure of SIMI maybe.
    I mean even new car dealers were dealing in 2nd hand UK stock as well.

Leave a comment:

• crank_case
    replied
    Originally posted by Flet View Post
    I have a funny feeling that similar to the tweaks on the NI Protocol, there may come a situation where ROI might have to do a deal with the EU re. VAT and Customs on UK imports. We'll run out of cars otherwise.
    It would be nice, but other than wishful thinking, do you have any basis to think this would happen?

Leave a comment:

• Gn3dr
    replied
    I haven;t done it but was speaking to someone a few months ago (didn't know him well) who told me he imported 2 X Range Rover Classics at the start of this year - post Brexit and registered / VRT'd them here. He said there was no VAT to be paid when he cleared them. Now this might be total BS but maybe not?? How do they put a value for example on a 30 yr old car? I don't know anyone personally who has imported something classic post Brexit but would be good to get a few more datapoints.

Leave a comment:

• HawkAl
    replied
    Originally posted by kdevitt View Post

Yeah that wouldn't surprise me, although I can't imagine the SIMI will be beating the door down for it.

I do have an interesting update from a customs agent on the vintage stuff, but waiting on revenue to confirm!
    Would be great if you could keep us updated if you have any confirmation, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• HawkAl
    replied
    I probably could if phrased this a bit better, was basically looking to see is there going to be any reduction in all or any import charges in future.

Would be great as definitely a limited selection at the minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• kdevitt
    replied
    Originally posted by Leins View Post
    The thing that still annoys me is technically VAT within the EU was already paid on these cars when they were bought new in the UK (pre-2021)
    Yeah that grates quite a bit - technically anything in the UK prior to Jan was imported and cleared into the EU already.

Leave a comment:

• Leins
    replied
    The thing that still annoys me is technically VAT within the EU was already paid on these cars when they were bought new in the UK (pre-2021)

Leave a comment:

• kdevitt
    replied
    Originally posted by Flet View Post
    I have a funny feeling that similar to the tweaks on the NI Protocol, there may come a situation where ROI might have to do a deal with the EU re. VAT and Customs on UK imports. We'll run out of cars otherwise.
    Yeah that wouldn't surprise me, although I can't imagine the SIMI will be beating the door down for it.

I do have an interesting update from a customs agent on the vintage stuff, but waiting on revenue to confirm!

Leave a comment:

• Flet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• davemx-5
    replied
    Originally posted by kdevitt View Post

There was no VAT or duty at all prior to Brexit, just the €200 VRT. Thats still the case for any cars coming in from the EU.

Its why the original post makes little sense - revenue aren't down on any VAT receipts from these cars - they received nothing at all prior to brexit.
    It was a jap import. Non EU car. But yes I understand your point. However, the UK were members of the EU at that point in time and doing that for non EU imports. Which I think the op is digging at Ireland replicating.

Leave a comment:

• kdevitt
    replied
    Originally posted by davemx-5 View Post
    Used the UK system before brexit to import a car over 30 years old through UK and avail of 5% vat and 0% duty. Just needed to then pay €200 vrt.

They don't ask to prove heritage, originality, no documentation needed.
    There was no VAT or duty at all prior to Brexit, just the €200 VRT. Thats still the case for any cars coming in from the EU.

Its why the original post makes little sense - revenue aren't down on any VAT receipts from these cars - they received nothing at all prior to brexit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X