Header

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire sticks - anyone have one or ever use one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire sticks - anyone have one or ever use one?

One of the car clubs is selling these with a member discount, but they still are dear. But I like the fact that they are small and light and you could stick one in a door pocket or in the glove compartment, and the have no residue. So no mess like powder or foam has..
    From reading the bumf, a normal powder fire extinguisher lasts for about 25 seconds. Where as these come in 50 second and 100 second sticks.

But there is a big cost difference of about 25 quid versus 100 quid - ish.

We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

I've a couple, for the RallyKa, i think they're a brilliant item.
    www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

Have a 100sec one in my MR2. Great solution to keeping weight down as well.

Comment

Pleasantly surprised that this isn't about the hated Amazon devices...

That looks pretty interesting alright.

Had to use an entire domestic extinguisher recently because some genius decided to dump a smoldering piece of electrical waste in the park next to me. You could smell the plastic burning and its a heavily wooded area and it was quite dry at the time. You really never know when you'll be glad of something like this.
        https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

Amazon indeed!

They would actually be great in the kitchen in case of a pan fire, and no messy clean up afterwards is what I like. And the size too!

I see that they also so a 25 second one. Just looked up prices here, with Brexit, it is cheaper for me to get one here even with a club discount.
          Last edited by markcro; 13-10-2021, 04:59 PM.
          We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Comment

Jonny Smith of youtube late brake show fame is a big fan.
            "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Comment

Looks like you've to get quite close to the fire to use it.

I'd also wonder if the discharge time being longer than a conventional fire extinguisher is even relevant. What if the firestick takes 50 seconds to do what powder/CO2 could do in 10?

I suppose it's infinitely better than having no fire extinguisher at all, and may well be the right choice if you're really stuck for space.

Comment

Where can you buy these by the way?
                https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

I got mine from EARS Motorsport in Mallow.
                  www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

Never knew they existed, could be good insurance to have in an old classic. €100 is a small price to pay to save a car if it went up.

Comment

Yeah I think that I will get one. Just neater and easier to grab than a powder one.

As above, Google brought me to EARS:
                      https://ears.ie/fire-safety-stick-1/

Comment

Originally posted by Wrasslers View Post
                        Looks like you've to get quite close to the fire to use it.

I'd also wonder if the discharge time being longer than a conventional fire extinguisher is even relevant. What if the firestick takes 50 seconds to do what powder/CO2 could do in 10?

I suppose it's infinitely better than having no fire extinguisher at all, and may well be the right choice if you're really stuck for space.
                        Yeah good points. You would really have to test them side by side to answer that. But in the case of a car or kitchen, you are going to be there at the time, so will already be close to react before it gets out of hand, hopefully. So I don't think the closeness is too much off an issue. Realistically if you can't get near due to heat, then it's time to run away anyway.

Comment

I had a look on youtube and there is no direct comparison videos. But looking at them separately, powder seems to be very quick and effective, and from a good distance away. But is very messy. So it might be a case of having both. I think in the kitchen one of these firesticks would be very good.

Comment

I've come across these types of extinguishers for industrial applications, they are starting to gain a good foothold due to the very low maintenance requirements (in particular you don't need to do room integrity testing with these to check that the area being protected will retain extinguishant gas for 2 mins or so).

They do leave a bit of residue, but its a fine white dust, and I know of a false activation which was cleaned up and the equipment put back into service without any issues. Took a long time to clean up mind.

I'd imagine its not great for a petrol fire as the fire would re-ignite too easily - foam would be better if it can cover/smother the whole area. But for grease/electrical fires where you just need to get rid of the flames quickly without creating too much mess, I'd say its pretty spot-on.

Comment

One of the videos of a fire stick was putting out a kerosene fire. It took a while as it kept reigniting as it was a windy day so you could see when a gust of wind blew the gas away the hot kerosene reignited. But that said, it still but it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X