No announcement yet.

John's Garage on YouTube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loving the vids John, good man yourself!

I won't try to give advice on the blue yoke; only you will know if it's worth it to you. However, I will give my own personal experience.

When I was 17, I took on an MGB GT project. It was a total basket case and was not economical to restore.

I ploughed on with stripping it down, I spent a lot of money on parts and then it all sat for years until I could afford for someone to weld it (it was in my parents' garage so I didn't want to be learning to weld with it connected to the house etc.)*.

When I got a stable enough job, I looked into the price of the welding and it was house deposit territory (just the welding mind, not a finished car) so I made the very hard decision to break the car for parts (was saving for a house at the time).

Financially, I actually got back pretty much what I put into it. However, the opportunity cost was other motoring experiences during this time.

Personally, I leaned at lot! I made plenty of mistakes/figured out a lot of things that have helped me ever since. On this basis alone I don't regret it but none of my family (non-petrolheads) can understand this. I won't pretend it was all rosy but it was hard-won hands-on experience. Indirectly worth it but nothing direct to show for it.

Ironically, the MGB taught me things that helped me to complete smaller projects, over time, these projects escalalated and I now probably have most of the skills to succeed now. However, I don't have the time or (being honest) the patience for a project that spans years. Maybe months but not years. Not being negative but I realised I much prefer doing coilovers in a weekend or rebuilding an engine top end over 6 months (of dry weekends) and then enjoying the thing.

*be wary of people you know/lads doing a bit of work on the side. I once had my car up in a lad's yard for 8 months with no progress. He never even took the cover off it. Another lad had it a year, similar progress. Transport at my expense. Both fellas took it on with good intentions but didn't have as much time/motivation as they thought. They weren't looking for money. They actually wanted to do me a favour in good faith so no hard feelings (I'm very grateful that they even offered) but I hadn't bargained in these challenges.

Good luck with whatever you decide! And check out 'SOUP Classic Motoring (George Karellas)', a fellow Youtuber, for some inspiration.

Comment

• My advise would be to sell all the projects and buy the best one you can because any car that old no matter how good will need tinkering that is probably more appropriate to your skill level. You will get to spanner on it and drive it which will give much more enjoyment. You will spend 3x the cost of the good one by the time the bad one is sorted.

Comment

• Yep as someone who is nearing the end of a very long and expensive restoration I would totally
        agree with you on that one fast focus.

Restoring a car properly is bloody expensive, especially when you start into bodywork and dealing
        with people who may or may not do a good enough job.

Comment

• Sorry for the slow replies folks, for thos who watched last weeks video you'll know I'm a bit distracted at the moment and why.

I'm editing this weeks video for a bit of a break from life tonight and have a little appeal going in it as I've so much going on I need to gauge if it's a good idea to spend on a few bits now for the channel!

Originally posted by Aontroim View Post
          Loving the vids John, good man yourself!

I won't try to give advice on the blue yoke; only you will know if it's worth it to you. However, I will give my own personal experience.

When I was 17, I took on an MGB GT project. It was a total basket case and was not economical to restore.

I ploughed on with stripping it down, I spent a lot of money on parts and then it all sat for years until I could afford for someone to weld it (it was in my parents' garage so I didn't want to be learning to weld with it connected to the house etc.)*.

When I got a stable enough job, I looked into the price of the welding and it was house deposit territory (just the welding mind, not a finished car) so I made the very hard decision to break the car for parts (was saving for a house at the time).

Financially, I actually got back pretty much what I put into it. However, the opportunity cost was other motoring experiences during this time.

Personally, I leaned at lot! I made plenty of mistakes/figured out a lot of things that have helped me ever since. On this basis alone I don't regret it but none of my family (non-petrolheads) can understand this. I won't pretend it was all rosy but it was hard-won hands-on experience. Indirectly worth it but nothing direct to show for it.

Ironically, the MGB taught me things that helped me to complete smaller projects, over time, these projects escalalated and I now probably have most of the skills to succeed now. However, I don't have the time or (being honest) the patience for a project that spans years. Maybe months but not years. Not being negative but I realised I much prefer doing coilovers in a weekend or rebuilding an engine top end over 6 months (of dry weekends) and then enjoying the thing.

*be wary of people you know/lads doing a bit of work on the side. I once had my car up in a lad's yard for 8 months with no progress. He never even took the cover off it. Another lad had it a year, similar progress. Transport at my expense. Both fellas took it on with good intentions but didn't have as much time/motivation as they thought. They weren't looking for money. They actually wanted to do me a favour in good faith so no hard feelings (I'm very grateful that they even offered) but I hadn't bargained in these challenges.

Good luck with whatever you decide! And check out 'SOUP Classic Motoring (George Karellas)', a fellow Youtuber, for some inspiration.
          Thank you so much for that post and for sharing your story.

I think I've got a romantic facination with bringing something back from the dead but with no welding skills it's really a pipe dream. Again, doing it over a long time seems great but I know myself I'd just get annoyed with it too and end up going for perfection which costs a bomb, it can only be original once as they say.

You've given me a lot of thinking material there. As regards Soup.....he is in a completely different league to me! To start with he knows what he is doing

Comment

• Originally posted by fast focus View Post
            My advise would be to sell all the projects and buy the best one you can because any car that old no matter how good will need tinkering that is probably more appropriate to your skill level. You will get to spanner on it and drive it which will give much more enjoyment. You will spend 3x the cost of the good one by the time the bad one is sorted.
            That would always have been my advice tbh but it's so easy to get addicted to tracking down hard to find parts! The black one was as good as I could afford it's just a lesson in how even a good base car can go horribly wrong! They're old cars after all so it's to be expected its just the first time it went this wrong on me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Titan View Post
              Yep as someone who is nearing the end of a very long and expensive restoration I would totally
              agree with you on that one fast focus.

Restoring a car properly is bloody expensive, especially when you start into bodywork and dealing
              with people who may or may not do a good enough job.
              Yes, bodywork brings me out in a sweat!

Comment

• This week on John's Garage I take a drive in this mintier than mint 190E

Comment

• Hi folks. I'm afraid I've no new video this week as I've been sick as has my son, family comes first. Please find a link to the channel below and feel free to find something among the 45 reviews already up that you might enjoy, better yet watch several reviews! Would be delighted with some interaction too as I'm stuck in bed! Remember, this is an Irish channel and isn't done for profit of any kind so all support is appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3...1zPXDhqUUPOAdQ

Comment

• This week on John's Garage, I take a drive in a diamond filled French Car and future french oddball. I present to you, the NOT A CITROEN DS7 Crossback

Comment

• Tomorrow on John's Garage......make sure you're subscribed

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3...1zPXDhqUUPOAdQ

Thumbfinal.png

Comment

• That looks like it will be great and I'm sure its something nice and a bit different from your more usual video reviews up to now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Titan View Post
                          That looks like it will be great and I'm sure its something nice and a bit different from your more usual video reviews up to now.
                          Yep, went for something very different. Started the script 6 months ago and have been back to it several times. Really enjoyed writing it even if it isn't a big one for views.

Comment

• This week on John's Garage we take a look at the interesting life of Eddie Jordan and the amazing history of Jordan F1, Irelands ONLY Formula 1 Team. Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE and to share the video anywhere you think might be interested.

Comment

• Really enjoyed that John! Good on you sir!

Comment

• I was trying to find this thread on the damn phone in the middle of the night, knew there was a johns garage thread. Loved the video, love Jordan stories.
                                Sent from my diamond encrusted yacht off the coast of Skull island

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X