Paint jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint jobs

Had a bit of a search and the most recent post I found on backroads was 2016. Found a post on boards but it was burning my eyes reading some of the comments and they were discussing price rather than recommendations so I said I'd stick one up here.

Bought an e46 recently and the paintwork is far from desirable I can see one or two spots where touch ups were done that are bubbling. They're tiny but I don't want to bank on them staying that way. For the two potentially rusty ones there's about 30 other ones I can see that look like they were done with one of those shite touch up kits.

Any recommendations? I talked to a guy in Galway Mchale Autobody he does a lot of trucks and crash repairs his work seems good. Before I make any commitments to getting the job done is there anyone outstanding ye recommend? All I'm after really is the exterior don't have the money nor is it sensible me to get the whole car stripped down to the shell when worth less than that will likely cost.

Sorry for the lengthy post and cheers in advance for any advice.

I can't help with recommendations outside of Aus.... but two things I would say:

1. Rust is like an Iceberg, if you can see a tiny bubble at the surface it's generally much worse under the paint as it's eating into the metal. Just have a look at any of my build threads to see horrors that could be lurking so best to get it sorted sooner rather than later.

2. A paint job is 90% prepwork.. don't just pay someone & then only return to see the car when it's shiny & painted. Tell them you'd like to see it in bare metal & in primer... if not in person then in detailed pics at least. They say you can't polish a turd... but you can paint one.
    Speed is just a question of money, how fast do you want to go

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD_XB View Post
      I can't help with recommendations outside of Aus.... but two things I would say:

1. Rust is like an Iceberg, if you can see a tiny bubble at the surface it's generally much worse under the paint as it's eating into the metal. Just have a look at any of my build threads to see horrors that could be lurking so best to get it sorted sooner rather than later.

2. A paint job is 90% prepwork.. don't just pay someone & then only return to see the car when it's shiny & painted. Tell them you'd like to see it in bare metal & in primer... if not in person then in detailed pics at least. They say you can't polish a turd... but you can paint one.
      Cheers Dave! As far as the iceberg analogy that's why I'm jumping on the paintjob straight away don't want to put a pile of money into the car only to find out there's barely any car left!

Definitely hadn't thought to ask about checking in on the process/asking for photos during in but I will for sure now. Seems like a no brainer now that you've mentioned it to make sure of the quality.

Comment

Do you only want a recommendation in and around Galway?

Comment

Originally posted by kdevitt View Post
          Do you only want a recommendation in and around Galway?
          No I'd be happy to go elsewhere if the recommendations good!

Comment

Re eoin Mchale I got work done be him in the past, work is very good quality and fairly priced, I’d have no bother using him again

Comment

Burns autobody repairs

Hes close to Tuam, galway
              He has done some work for me and I have more planned coming up

He seems to do lots of classics too

Comment

Originally posted by S50-touring View Post
                Re eoin Mchale I got work done be him in the past, work is very good quality and fairly priced, I’d have no bother using him again
                From seeing pricing online he seems to get the balance of being reasonably priced but not suspiciously cheap, I'd say I'll go with him but might call out to Burns autobody for a quote too.

Cheers for the feedback lads.

Comment

Working...
                X