No announcement yet.

Plug in to latest EV news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You won’t get 450km unless it’s all downhill.

Google “A Better Route Planner”. Punch in your EV and see how it would route you and the time it takes. That’s the gold standard for realistic trip guidance. If it’s a route that you’ll do often you will learn soon enough what’s what and you can plan accordingly.

If you’re coming from Dublin I would probably top up at Mayfield services. I drove from Killarney to Dublin in November last (and it was anything but warm) and stopped for 15 mins or thereabouts. A toilet break basically. You ideally don’t want to rely on the scattered 50kWh chargers on a trip like that. But they’re handy if you want to stop for a steak somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cold View Post
      You won’t get 450km unless it’s all downhill.

Google “A Better Route Planner”. Punch in your EV and see how it would route you and the time it takes. That’s the gold standard for realistic trip guidance. If it’s a route that you’ll do often you will learn soon enough what’s what and you can plan accordingly.

If you’re coming from Dublin I would probably top up at Mayfield services. I drove from Killarney to Dublin in November last (and it was anything but warm) and stopped for 15 mins or thereabouts. A toilet break basically. You ideally don’t want to rely on the scattered 50kWh chargers on a trip like that. But they’re handy if you want to stop for a steak somewhere.
      Thanks I’m assuming range will be less than 300kms or so hence stopping around adare it’s about 220kms…

can you book a charger or is it pot luck whether one is available?

Comment

• Pot luck. But you will learn to love Mayfield as I think it has six chargers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bazg2 View Post
          Can’t hear him over the noise of this... bizarre, surprised yet got back into another vw ev after he was nearly microwaved in Goodwood
          What's that about then? I must've missed whatever happened....

Comment

• He drove their hyper EV prototype at goodwood and said he never felt the same since, cocooned by high voltage wiring...
            I’m standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused?? 🤨🤪

Comment

• Was that the car VW had taken to Pikes Peak?

Comment

• Originally posted by TPaul View Post
                I am thinking of buying a family wagon EV, range is 450k or so and vast majority of journeys less than 50km, we’ve a night meter and getting solar panels installed later this year so should be cheap as chips to run

apart from the upfront cost of buying new, which is substantially lessened by estimated 3k year saving on diesel(we do about 20k kms annually, it’s diesel sh*tbox too), we do spin up and down to Kerry a few times a year where range will be an issue

For those who have been running EVs for a while, how much of a ballache would it be locating a fast charger in Adare or similar day 4 times a year on journey down and return journey…

Any advice or things I should consider welcome?

We are ok once we get to final destination as well have a home charger there too.

Thanks
                i was just coming on to post something similiar. We would do the run to the west at least once a month, so being able to do that on a single charge would be nice.

Comment

• I think being able to charge at the other end will be more important. Not being able to easily charge overnight is proper faff with EVs. A 15-20 min stop on the way is no big deal and with recent EVs you can be pretty relaxed about where these 15-20 mins are spent so pick a charger that suits somewhere. And check with ABRP to see how it would work in the real world give or take even though I personally never really use ABRP when driving as I usually drive more like ICE and pick somewhere to stop that suits. The real charger nuggets are those that are within easy walking distance of a decent meal so not the service areas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Titan View Post
                    Was that the car VW had taken to Pikes Peak?
                    i think so,

I’m standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused?? 🤨🤪

Comment

• Not strictly fully electric but since it was such ground breaking car in many ways, this should be interesting
                      story to follow Jonny Smyth getting his Gen 1 Insight back up and running again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImfZDr4ARRk

I always thought they were such an interesting and cool thing.

Comment

• The world of motor journalism in unfairly divided innit? Chris Harris has a GT3, Jonny Smyth has an Insight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bazg2 View Post
                          He drove their hyper EV prototype at goodwood and said he never felt the same since, cocooned by high voltage wiring...
                          Thanks.

Comment

• Hi All

I will shortly be installing a home charger and was wondering what you would recommend? Any features you think are a must have?

Comment

• Everyone around here uses Zappi pretty much. You want one with the most kW that you can reasonably fit to the house which is 7kW normally. You want the ability to control charge times from the charger as EVs are often not that great at managing off-peak. And nice to get some stats from it so a cloud based service and an app to go with it.

Comment

• We just installed a Zappi a couple of weeks ago. Not the prettiest of chargers, but it's one of the only ones that supports solar, which was a must for us as we plan on installing panels in the future. The Ohme Home Pro is supposed to be very good, it's alot neater looking with a nice lcd screen. I probably would have went for this only for it doesn't support solar, the installer did say that Ohme plan on integrating solar in the future, but I didn't want to take the risk.

Also with the Zappi if you want to use their app you'll have to buy a separate hub for about €120.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X