No announcement yet.

Plug in to latest EV news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We know for a while now the next gen Boxster and Cayman are supposed to be electric only.
    Enter the GT4 ePerformance for a taster of an electric racecar based around a GT4 Cayman.

Comment

• Ok it sounds like a broken Luas train but nice to see Porsche putting EV tech in something that looks like a road car. 1,500kg or thereabouts and a 82kWh battery are impressive stats by road car standards anyhow.

Comment

• Yeah, the sound is hard to come to terms with, especially in that particular video. And I say that as someone who found the sound at a Formula E round interesting as you could appreciably identify differing sources of sound and how they changed as the driver varied inputs (tyres, aero, brakes).
        Still, a racecar with no soundproofing can be expected to be loud I guess. Nature of the beast 'n all that...

The things which struck me in that video were the 3 batteries in different locations of the vehicle, and the underbody aero at the rear. Harris was right about what they could do with that diffuser when there was no ICE and conventional transmission in the way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cold View Post
          Ok it sounds like a broken Luas train
          I thought it sounded pretty cool personally, but either way, it's great to see actual EV sportscars at least try to take some sort of shape, but I think this might be an interim stage for something much more radical as we move away from the contraints of ICE designs. Look at that hubless wheel motorcycle for example, imagine something with two of those hanging out the back powering the rear wheels attached by a similar suspension arrangement and with almost no other drivetrain/axle components inside a rear u-shaped void, you could slot a battery in the middle and hell, with no obstruction to the rear, it could even be swappable without robots, just something that could be wheeled out on a trolley and slotted in like a giant tyco RC.
          https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

• Can’t hear him over the noise of this... bizarre, surprised yet got back into another vw ev after he was nearly microwaved in Goodwood
            I’m standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused?? 🤨🤪

Comment

• Maybe Collecting Cars future is with EVs so he needs to “plug” them now?

Maybe this article will make it into the open at some stage but the latest issue of Autocar reviews the Lucid Air and finds it to be an unfinished overpriced pile of crap. At least the Europeans can finish their overpriced stuff.

Comment

Maybe this article will make it into the open at some stage but the latest issue of Autocar reviews the Lucid Air and finds it to be an unfinished overpriced pile of crap. At least the Europeans can finish their overpriced stuff.
                Hyped upstart EV maker vaporware shocker!

Comment

Unless you are talking about a different article, I thought their review was quite positive despite some flaws. https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/lucid/air

Comment

• Some flaws like not being able to sit comfortably in the rear seats (brilliant in a car like that), random panel gaps, annoying noises, regenerative braking that doesn't really work, doesn't ride well and doesn't handle well, and can't do basic lane keep assist. But other than that I'm sure it's amazing for let's say €180k or whatever it will cost here. I get that they need to be invited again so summarised it with some fluff but those are pretty serious problems for a car that's supposedly coming from the most ingenious people ever.

Comment

• So it is the same article and he doesn't conclude it's a pile of crap.

It will be interesting to see if or how they address those flaws as time progresses and he does mention how they are dealing with the rear seat issue that is limited to the biggest battery version and it also states they are developing new air springs to replace the current steel ones to fix the ride issue. In the meantime, he does state the "steering is precise and damping otherwise generally impressive".

The regenerative braking does work if you're a fan of one pedal driving.

I'm not likely to be a future owner but, in my opinion, it does look to have a lot going for it.

Comment

• Or what would normally be described as "unfinished". It's certainly "over priced" and not much of a stretch to "pile of crap".

I might have other expectations but not putting in a rear seat solution in 2022 in an EV that actually works is just criminally incompetent. Oh we will look at fitting another seat. Did this come as a surprise or something? The actual sitting is kind of what you do in a car as a passenger so not getting that right is just... wow. I get that fitting panels properly is somewhat optional these days if the car has a big screen but the rest is just really bad. Particularly for a company that has marketed itself to investors as the third coming of Jesus.

Comment

• Something with 500 miles range? Yes count me interested. In fact I'd have this over the Porsche electric Panamera whose name I honestly can't recall just for this reason. And of course the reason that pleasure in driving is no longer a thing so much in everyday circumstances.
                          sigpichttps://mingshitters.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Tesla has opened up some superchargers in the UK for non-Tesla. Unfortunately you need to be resident in a country where this is the case in order to use superchargers in another country so not of much use to us. I’m sure it’s just a matter of time here also.

Comment

Or what would normally be described as "unfinished". It's certainly "over priced" and not much of a stretch to "pile of crap".

I might have other expectations but not putting in a rear seat solution in 2022 in an EV that actually works is just criminally incompetent. Oh we will look at fitting another seat. Did this come as a surprise or something? The actual sitting is kind of what you do in a car as a passenger so not getting that right is just... wow. I get that fitting panels properly is somewhat optional these days if the car has a big screen but the rest is just really bad. Particularly for a company that has marketed itself to investors as the third coming of Jesus.
                              Ah yeah, it's the Tesla style playbook all over by the sounds of it. Mock "legacy" car makers, position yourself as an "innovative disruptor", have somethings that are quite clever, but not be able to figure out some very simple things about building a car because you're too high on the smell of your own farts to understand that people who've been building cars for a century do know a thing or two about building cars and maybe don't throw the baby out with the engine coolant?

The funny thing is this is going into a space dominated by the oldest car maker, and it's their flagship to boot - The S-Class, which these days, has a lot wrong with its approach, but damnit, the thing works and is comfortable.

You might excuse some of these things when if it was some super cheap BYD yoke bringing the EV price floor down, but this is going into an arena where anything less than overcompetence is failure. Tesla only just about gets away with it because fanboyism and not entirely pricing their model S into higher end of S-Class prices.

Comment

• I am thinking of buying a family wagon EV, range is 450k or so and vast majority of journeys less than 50km, we’ve a night meter and getting solar panels installed later this year so should be cheap as chips to run

apart from the upfront cost of buying new, which is substantially lessened by estimated 3k year saving on diesel(we do about 20k kms annually, it’s diesel sh*tbox too), we do spin up and down to Kerry a few times a year where range will be an issue

For those who have been running EVs for a while, how much of a ballache would it be locating a fast charger in Adare or similar day 4 times a year on journey down and return journey…

Any advice or things I should consider welcome?

We are ok once we get to final destination as well have a home charger there too.

Thanks

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X