No announcement yet.

Plug in to latest EV news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well you are kind of explaining why this is the current reality. You’re willing to spend half the price on one. It’s very hard to shift that perception of value. I’m not saying you’re wrong by the way, I wouldn’t spend more than €30-40k on one if that even. I think it would be extraordinarily difficult to sell a Kia for €70-80k in Ireland. If it shows up and it’s absolutely amazing and at the lower end of that price range then maybe. It won’t be absolutely amazing, though, being realistic about it.
    I'm with the resistance

Comment

• Goes back to cars here simply being far to expensive relative income though doesn't it? Even EVs are subject to 14.25% VRT and once they're over 50K, there's no VRT relief, so something that'd be only a little more expensive in a civilized country that only charges VAT and fixed price registration fees becomes a big jump here.

The way this will likely pan out is a 50-70k hole in the market where the nicer version of relatively affordable stuff doesn't get offered, and then there's a jump from there to Porshu Tayto-cans and Teslerati Spaceballs for people wealthy enough not to give a damn.

That said, as I hinted at already - you'll likely get better range out of big battery + RWD than big battery + 4WD.
      Last edited by crank_case; 30-07-2021, 12:17 AM.
      https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

• Yeah, it looks like a billy basic one in Ireland is €50k including the SEAI grant and if pricing is relative to every other country then the 577hp one should be around €70k.

The only thing that isn't amazing about it in Ireland is that it doesn't wear a badge from a german manufacturer so the automotive connoisseurs that drive around in low power diesel german saloons will likely be very disappointed.

Comment

• That sounds like a nice problem for Kia to solve. I’m not entirely sure why it’s anyone else’s concern. It’s not like we’re losing out on a never to be repeated once in a lifetime opportunity.

BMW is incidentally hitting that general price point and power output with the i4 as far as I know. The details of which are on the Irish web site and can be configured.
          I'm with the resistance

Comment

• Kia will solve by just not bothering - Irelands not a big market, so companies are just not going to go to the effort in most cases.

Anyway, more optimistically, I love the design of this Volta Zero truck.

..and I mean truck as in a proper commercial 8 tonne workhorse for supplying urban/suburban shops and not an F150 lifestyle vehicle for desk jockeys that want to be cowboys (like me!)

Don't ask me if this is another vaporware company or a real serious player, but I wish them well. Not having an engine lets you have a low floor and good visibility, which increases safety for cyclists. It's crazy to think that 70% of cyclist deaths in the London area are from trucks, which is astounding when you consider how many buses there are. Clearly a bus like driver position makes a difference.

The central driving position is genius too, you are always opening your door and stepping out onto the pavement, not the road, putting both the driver and cyclists in less danger. The responsiveness, the lack of gears and vibration, the general smoothness, the better visibility, I imagine anyone that has to drive a truck like this for a living will love it for making their job safer and less stressful.

Why are all fixed body trucks not like this?

Not exatcly news, as its been around since 2019, but I've just discovered the Raesr Tachyon Speed exists, because you can now drive it in Forza Horizon 4. It's as pointless and irrelevant as all the other EV hypercars, or hypercars in general, and it's probably also vaporware, but damn I love it. It's proper crazy batmobile stuff like a supercar should be. It's not often an electric car bypasses the head and goes straight to the gut, but I like this viscerally and completely irrationally in the same way as an F40. It drives pretty good in Forza anyway.

Last edited by crank_case; 30-07-2021, 03:12 PM.
            https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

• Slightly OT but Robert Llewellyn always struck me as a pretty cool guy.

Comment

• Yeah he sort of comes across as a slightly older Johnny Smith,very knowledge fella and he has a great way of putting things.

Loved Scrapheap Challenge when it was on Channel 4 many years ago.

Comment

• I have to say I prefer younger snappier YT folks that you can tell started life in that medium. Speaking of which, I like this guy. He’s nearly making a static review seem interesting. His Taycan review is very good as well but you need to find it yourself.

Polestar Precept: https://youtu.be/I8tyUj64sLg

I think Polestar is onto something but they need to get over trying to be Tesla. Drop the big stupid screen. It completely ruins the car. They have managed minimalism everywhere else and then that monstrosity.
                  I'm with the resistance

Comment

• Speaking of Jonny Smith, just watched his interview with Mate Rimac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxu2pjVozVM

Really good interview and shows how hard it is to setup a company and the risks that you have to take.
                    It seems his company is the go to for integrating electric power systems into mainstream manufactured cars.
                    He obviously thinks a lot of good things are happening with the likes of Hyundai/Kia and their electric cars.

Interesting to hear about Hammond's trip into the scenery as well.

His success is so well deserved, fair play to him and what a sound fella as well.

I have a strong hankering for a Z4 M Coupe now as well...

Comment

• Hyundai is an investor and technology partner so you’re unlikely to hear they’re crap… But Rimac has done well. Whether I actually care about any of it is another story. Mostly I don’t but that doesn’t take away from the achievements obviously. I seem to recall a long snore fest about software. Whenever the conversation turns to that then it’s pretty much an instant turn-off for me. But I guess it excites someone.
                      I'm with the resistance

Comment

• Nerds and twitterati care about software, you also said yourself that your car being upgraded over the airwaves whilst sitting in your driveway is a good thing... I dunno, batteries will be expensive to replace and recycle. I can see models lineups being seriously streamlined and some manufacturers might not make it into the next generation because they cease to be relevant with software etc. Sad but true.... I’ll buy an ev when I have to, but by fcuk will I ever give a shite about it’s latest software upgrade.... it’s an appliance like my phone and that’s a couple of generations behind being the latest and greatest.

New motoring is dead in this shitehole of a country!! Long live ze pedrils, new Cuba here we come!!
                        ElDel, “I ask this purely out curiosity DMZ, but did your lack of interest in the generic come from your ownership experience of the Golf R?”

Comment

• So I've been working over the last couple of weeks to try and find the Mustang's replacement. We were originally going to go from two cars to one next year but for now the Challenger has a stay of execution.

I looked at EV & PHEV options and the Karma GS-6 (the latest name in the Fisker Karma - Karma Revero lineage) was the only contender of its type for me to the point where I was trying to work out some pricing with a couple of dealers. Depreciation seemingly happening in a similar way that the Hindenburg went down and the fact that it isn't actually a "fun" car kind of made it a non-runner in the end. A Tesla is absolutely better technologically, but the Karma is so damn beautiful and I seem to be attracted to unusual things so wanted to at least explore it. Also, I have to get value when buying something and there is a lot of smoke and mirrors when it comes to pricing with them so it is hard to know whether you're getting piped or not.

Anyway, not that is news to anybody but as much as I'm a fan of EV stuff, if you're buying something for pure fun then for now it has to have a petrol engine. I'm meeting with a dealer on Thursday to hopefully order what'll most likely be the last new car with a manual transmission that I'll ever buy.

Comment

• Is it likely to have a Corvette badge?

I obviously wrote a sarcastic definition of fun a couple of pages back but last night I had some actual honest to god fun in the MX-5 thanks to a decent helping of the Wicklow mountains. I would be curious if that fun could be replicated in an EV. There are so many things that go into fun but what you need on those roads is agility, ability to soak up bumps, ideally a manual gearbox, steering feedback or that sense of being one with the car and knowing what each corner is doing, a convertible with everything open, and I’m sure power delivery and engine sound and all that adds to the experience too.

There is probably no greater motoring pleasure than getting the car to rotate in a corner through a mixture of turn-in, brake, and throttle inputs and there is probably no fundamental reason why this dance can’t be replicated in an EV. I’d say you can get agility by faking it with torque vectoring. In the back of my mind is the M2 Comp (not a light car and while not as intuitive as an MX-5 with [much] more brute force and requires silly speeds before it comes alive) which shows how you can get around physics. No doubt with a decent helping of torque vectoring. It must said that actual analogue handling is more fun and more natural but the M2 Comp knows how to dance too and the constant struggle at the rear is always entertaining. A powerful rwd EV… is that even a thing? Not sure.

Soaking up bumps… weight is a killer here. You can no doubt do wonders with suspension tech but over 2,000kg I just can’t see how it’s possible to keep the body in check without compromising something else.

Drivetrain… obviously nothing you can do there so it’s a question if the other parameters are good enough. It will take a chunk out as revving out the engine, working the gears to find the power (essential in a low torque NA car), and feeling how the engine is really working it as you approach the redline is a big part of it. The big torque out of corners in an EV will add something even if it’s just there and not something you need to work for.

Steering/chassis feedback. That can be done I’m sure. The i3 was pretty good at this incidentally. Not MX-5 good but decent.

Convertible… sure why not? I don’t think they exist at the moment (other than that Lotus-based Tesla from yesteryear) but seeing as there are diesel powered convertibles (I just cannot fathom how sh1t that must be), there could be a market for it. Not sure how interesting it is to just have more wind noise, though.

We’ll see if anyone will actually bother. The lure of cross-over riches seems too strong at present and obviously a format well suited to EVs.
                            I'm with the resistance

Comment

• Originally posted by DMZ View Post
                              Is it likely to have a Corvette badge?
                              No, not a Corvette even though that was a front runner for the longest time. I decided I wanted a manual gearbox one final time.

Comment

• Ah yeah, it's a dual-clutch only. I thought it was still offered with a manual box.
                                I'm with the resistance

Comment

Working...
                                X