Nissan 400Z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway, I really, really like this.

I hope they will be for sale for a long time because I would like one at some point. It isn’t the best car from a figures perspective but I bet it will be a real hoot to drive.

Can’t wait to see what the Nismo is like when that gets unveiled. If it is similar to the 370Z version we can expect a little more power and some neat styling. Imagine this with some more aggressive aero and maybe 450hp

Comment

I’m equally uninterested in those generic turbo-charged engines (and the cars they are attached to)

Comment

Originally posted by DMZ View Post
        I’m equally uninterested in those generic turbo-charged engines (and the cars they are attached to)
        Just curious then, what makes the generic naturally aspirated engines in your MX-5 and CL500 a more appealing proposition than a generic V6TT?

Comment

Because they’re not generic and not turbo-charged? Just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by DMZ View Post
            Because they’re not generic and not turbo-charged? Just a guess.
            Not generic? How?

They seem to be very generic seeing as they both power everything. Not hating btw as my fun cars are powered by engines that also go into pickup trucks and it doesn’t matter one bit IMO.

Comment

Maybe it is just that they were interesting engines to start with (don't know about the Mazda one, but that MB V8 is a peach of a place to start) and not turbocharged. There are really very few interesting turbo engines outside exotica and even then the accepted collective wisdom of the internet seems to be that n/a versions are "better" if not faster. Those cars that are interesting with turbo engines seem to be interesting almost despite the engine.
              sigpichttps://mingshitters.wordpress.com/

Comment

I was incidentally referring to more special turbo-charged engines with my comment, eg M2/M3/M4 type of thing. Not that it overly matters, but the MX-5 ND2 has a version of that 2l engine unique to the MX-5 but that had absolutely nothing to do with my original comment.

But in case anyone is interested, please see below. And I'm sure we can forever argue if this makes it generic or otherwise but having driven both the "generic" engine fitted to all those cars listed above and the one now fitted to the MX-5, there's a night and day difference in how they behave.

The 2019 edition becomes the ND2, to reflect the engine upgrade. The extensive changes include a throttle that flows 28 percent more air, revised intake and exhaust ports for improved airflow, and revised intake and exhaust manifolds that flow more air and fuel through the engine.

Spinning the engine faster also called for lighter pistons and connecting rods, with a strengthened crankshaft. “The pistons in this engine are works of art,” enthused Coleman. “I didn’t think there was any way possible to take weight of out (the previous pistons), but we did it,” he crowed. Mazda trimmed 27 grams from each piston to help the engine rev more freely.

The direct fuel injection now fires as many as three distinct injections at lower rpm, up from the previous two, and those squirts of gas are at higher pressure for improved atomization of the fuel.

Comment

So a factory enhanced version of a relatively ordinary N/A 4-cylinder interests you but a twin turbo V6 with 400hp doesn’t because it is apparently generic.

You’re totally entitled to your opinion of course but I don’t understand the logic. I am however very curious to see how this generic engine will negatively affect the Z.

Comment

Yes factory enhanced versions of engines can make them quite exciting. Who.would.have.thought. It’s nearly like what you would expect a factory to do. I know it doesn’t really gel with your copy/paste from Wikipedia but I guess therein lies the difference between the guy who owns the car vs the guy on the internet.

But maybe also worth remembering that it’s the guy on the internet who keeps making the strange comparisons between a 400bhp twin turbo powered sports car and an Mx-5. Or a Mercedes cruiser, lol. Each to their own of course but a wild guess would be that Nissan had neither in mind and funnily enough neither did I. Like I already explained.

The rest of the world seems to compare the Nissan 400Z with the Supra, a car funnily enough fitted with, let’s wait for it, are you ready, are you sitting comfortably, a generic turbo engine. Which also makes it uninteresting along with a few other reasons like the comical BMW interior. Hopefully there is some relevant Wikipedia content to put me wrong, I can’t wait.

There are some actual reasons why I find these kinds of engines uninteresting and it’s quite obvious what those might be if you consider that an alternative could have been a 4l naturally aspirated V6 to stick with the nomenclature and the car’s history. But I’m sure Nissan needed to keep the price down and they had some stuff on the shelf to make the business case work and hopefully Wikipedia will do the rest. It could even turn into the next big thing, who knows.

Maybe another way to have done this little discussion would have been to have argued in favour of generic twin-turbo six cylinder engines and all the good they have done for the world. It would perhaps even have made the discussion interesting and insightful, you never know. Maybe Nissan has in fact done some work on the engine and it’s now a super sharp version of its former self and it’s in fact not generic. I have no idea but I’m always good with new info.

I would incidentally be much more interested in the car if it were called the Nissan EV550 or some such. If you’re going to take a generic motor you may as well take one from a washing machine, right? My washing machine is really good and spins fast.

Comment

I’m not comparing the new Z to either of your cars.

I am just confused at how you can find an ordinary N/A 4-banger interesting but then scoff at a twin-turbo V6 for being generic. The relevant section of a wikipedia article is here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logi...y#Illogicality

Comment

Ok never mind

Comment

The vr engine in this car is fitted to 3 other models. Can you explain what you mean by generic? Maybe a more appropriate adjective would be better. Then maybe actually explain why you think this is the wrong choice of engine for this car or even suggest a different engine from nissans shelf to install.
                          https://www.picfair.com/users/MarkT128/

Comment

Why do you think it’s an exciting engine or does it even matter?

Sorry I have no opinion on what off the shelf engine they should use. Does Nissan have any that could be described as interesting? Do they even have cars that are interesting?

Comment

Lotus have always used humdrum engines and no one has ever complained.

- Ford, Rover, Isuzu, Toyota, etc. Even their own "Lotus" twin cam was based the Vauxhall lump.
                              Dare we mention Aston Martin and use a Ford lump as the base...
                              None of that would bother me.
                              We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Comment

Originally posted by markcro View Post
                                Lotus have always used humdrum engines and no one has ever complained.

- Ford, Rover, Isuzu, Toyota, etc. Even their own "Lotus" twin cam was based the Vauxhall lump.
                                Dare we mention Aston Martin and use a Ford lump as the base...
                                None of that would bother me.
                                Hell, those were the good ones, a step up from a fire pump engine.

https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X