Malin Head to Mizen Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malin Head to Mizen Head

So last week I was bored and so were the kids. They asked to go to the Giants Causeway. They had been there before but were very young and wanted to go again. So on Wednesday I booked an 11am slot for Thursday morning.

Later in the day I was thinking about doing a road trip in my MR2, I just fancied a few days driving and thought that Mizen to Malin would be fun in the MR2. Then it dawned on me that sure when I'm at the Causeway I may as well as go to Malin and stay the night and the following morning leave Malin for Mizen. Only snag Id have 2 kids with me so the daily driver was the answer.... But hey Ive always wanted to do Malin to Mizen so lets just do it. 2 hotels booked, one near Mailin and then Mizen (little hotel near Bantry) for Friday night.

Malin at 9:30am.

And Mizen at 19:30

We took the general route of Donegal, Sligo, Mayo, Claire, Limerick Cork etc...... Its a little over 9 hours driving. The kids were deadly, I wasn't sure how they would tolerate the long drive but they are well used to travelling with me.... One stop for Diesel and one for lunch.

So I really enjoyed the drive but it got me thinking that we never hear of any timed runs of people doing this against the clock... yes there are plenty of documented events where loons have cycled it in 19 odd hours straight but nothing about it being done in a car. Now I fully understand that its not the done thing and certainly with your kids on board but surely there is an underground story of this.... Anyone ever heard of one???? Just curious and I never plan on doing such a thing late at night in the MR2 for example.... and I need my license anyway.... Seems to happen every other week in the US New York to LA (Canonball) and is publicly documented so why not here???

Or should I be publicly flogged for even thinking it.....

I do recommend any petrol heads here that haven't done the drive in one day to get it done.... really enjoyed it... All in all 1600klm's from Thursday Morning to Saturday lunchtime. Needless to say the Jag made it a lot easier on the body than the MR2 would have... but at 32mpg the jag is a hungry Diesel but hey plenty of power so you cant have everything.

And as for planning.... I did this on my phone the day before...

That was it...

Thoughts??

Mick
    Last edited by -MICK-; 23-08-2020, 07:23 PM.

Now that is a class road trip!! Nice!!

There was a classic run a few years back that I was entered on, but it got cancelled in the end. It was Malin Head to Mizen Head (or vise versa) in under xx hours and without using motorways. I can't remember the time allowed, but I do remember that it didn't allow much room for stops for food!
    We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Comment

I was going to do it in the i3 last summer for a laugh but whatever weekend I had planned for it got really bad weather so cancelled it in the end. I think I needed another day to do it if I recall with the charging etc and perhaps no harm to slow it down a bit. Instead I took the CL and one of the kids and went to the north coast which had escaped all the bad weather and did some beautiful walks up there including of course Giant's Causeway.

There were a bunch of guys from here who did the Malin/Mizen drive in a day or something but they didn't start in Dublin. Once you start in Dublin there's obviously a lot of transport to the southern and northern tips.

Comment

Very nice, well done.

Comment

Myself and 2 mates did Mizen to Malin about 3 years ago. Stayed at a B&B close by, Mizen for sun rise and aim to be at Malin before sunset but going as coastal a route as possible. Had a great days driving (Megane RS250, GT86 and a VTEC CRX. Dont really recall the route but it is on here somewhere. We headed straight for Kenmare, Molls Gap, Tarbert ferry across to Kilimer, around the coast of Clare, Galway, out to Clifden, Sligo and then up to Malin direct enough from there

A great road trip

Comment

http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showt...ighlight=Mizen

There is a post here from Automotive with a route they had done, ours was very similar

Comment

Didn't EOB do it in an fto back in the Octane days?
              Wanted 2wd Sapphire Cosworth and mk1 Granada parts, pm me, ta.

Comment

That's awesome Mick has given me some ideas 🤔 that would be about 5 and a half tanks of fuel for me being conservative could be more 😂

Comment

Originally posted by -MICK- View Post
                  So I really enjoyed the drive but it got me thinking that we never hear of any timed runs of people doing this against the clock... yes there are plenty of documented events where loons have cycled it in 19 odd hours straight but nothing about it being done in a car. Now I fully understand that its not the done thing and certainly with your kids on board but surely there is an underground story of this.... Anyone ever heard of one???? Just curious and I never plan on doing such a thing late at night in the MR2 for example.... and I need my license anyway.... Seems to happen every other week in the US New York to LA (Canonball) and is publicly documented so why not here???

Or should I be publicly flogged for even thinking it.....

Mick
                  This has me thinking too. How would it fare here for posting a time v self incrimination? For eg...if you hid half the data such as date/route. For eg who verifies the USA crossing attempts?

Comment

From what I recall they post the data once the statute of limitations expire, usually with a lag of 6 months or so.

Didn't eob say on Octane he was aware of a group that 'competed' for a Round Ireland record, with lads running diesel cars with extra tanks etc.
                    1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
                    2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
                    2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring

Comment

All hell would break loose if that were done and published here. Therefore an outstanding idea, lol.

Comment

Well they did put in start and finish lines.
                        If that's not an invitation for a timed run, it's almost a challenge.

Nicely done Mick I may have to do that now.
                        http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...aguars-museum/

Comment

Originally posted by Flet View Post
                          From what I recall they post the data once the statute of limitations expire, usually with a lag of 6 months or so.

Didn't eob say on Octane he was aware of a group that 'competed' for a Round Ireland record, with lads running diesel cars with extra tanks etc.
                          What's the statue of limitations in Ireland?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Comment

Deadly. And a fine choice of car too.

I wanted to do it in my 1990 Alto last year.
                            There's no light, There's only fire!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser View Post
                              Deadly. And a fine choice of car too.

I wanted to do it in my 1990 Alto last year.
                              In all honestly I wanted to do it in the little MR2 but when two kids ask to come sure who am I to say no. The XF was too easy to be honest. Effortless touring ability and plenty of power when needed. I could have turned around and gone back up.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X