Insuring a second car/weekend car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insuring a second car/weekend car

I’m not having any luck selling my own can so am thinking of keeping it and buying a weekend car. I phoned up my own insurance company and they won’t do it for some reason.
    Obviously plenty of people who post here have more than one car. I just like to know where is the best place to look for insurance on a 2nd/occasional use car?

What kind of second car are you talking about. That would help narrow down people's advice.

I've a chubb policy with daily and classics all on it. I used have my daily with liberty and classics with autoline in northern Ireland.

If you'Re looking at a more modern car post 2003 then autoline won't really be able to help you.

Comment

Are you a named driver on another policy? E.g. the wife's car? If so, some insurers will accept it as claims free driving experience.

Comment

Chubb can work if you’re willing to pay for it. Service oriented smaller brokers can find a way. I think AXA accepts name driver experience, as mentioned. I’ve used a variation of these methods at various times. It’s not easy to start from scratch with anything interesting. Insurance companies hate it, even with full NCB.

Comment

I can't recommend chubb highly enough personally. I have them through my local broker omalley and scanlon.

Although they were very very good value for me, others I've recommended them to they were bonkers money.

Comment

Thanks lads, I’ll look at Chubb. I’m thinking of something like a MX5 or an older Boxter. Probably budget 10-15 grand.

Comment

That'll be loads for insurance

I'll get my coat

Comment

Originally posted by Batster View Post
                Thanks lads, I’ll look at Chubb. I’m thinking of something like a MX5 or an older Boxter. Probably budget 10-15 grand.
                If you have a daily, and this will be >20 yrs old, try campions. They insured my mx5 on a classic policy.

Comment

Autoline, first ireland, campions, are another few

Comment

Is there still the concept of mirroring your NCB onto another policy, so you end up with 2 standalone policies? That's what I did back in the day (possibly AXA).

Comment

Originally posted by Bootdog View Post
                      Is there still the concept of mirroring your NCB onto another policy, so you end up with 2 standalone policies? That's what I did back in the day (possibly AXA).
                      That’s what I did with AXA back ten years ago. They said it had to be an easy to insure car though, but that it would also build up no claims in its own right then too. I started off on a Golf 1.2, mirrored over from my other “daily” policy, and after a year swapped the Golf out and a Mini GP in for minimal increase in insurance cost

Comment

Originally posted by Bootdog View Post
                        You can still do it with Axa. I recently took out a second policy with them and they mirrored the NCB from my main policy. You have to have your main policy with Axa though. I also looked at Chubb but they were about 40% more for my two cars and the wife’s vs three separate Axa policies (like for like cover)

Comment

When I got the M3 I had to start a second policy and AXA recognised my named driving experience on my wife's car. After 2 years the policy is quite reasonable and not far off what I pay to insure an A6

Comment

Originally posted by Batster View Post
                            In my case it was better value for me to insure a 2006 Boxster with Axa over Chubb and the pci owners club scheme.
                            http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-uk/620346.png

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post

In my case it was better value for me to insure a 2006 Boxster with Axa over Chubb and the pci owners club scheme.
                              The same 2006 boxster 😀 was €800 extra to add to my existing policy with Chubb, but thats a pretty comprehensive policy which allows anyone to drive it, driving other cars etc.

Ian Joining the PCI is on my todo list, they have a discount with Axa I take it?

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X