Car accessories that have died a death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by blascae111 View Post

Ahh shur youth and stupidity. Hopped in car one day after work and it wouldnt start. I opened the boot to get jump leads and the whole lot was gone. Screwdriver in the drivers lock, and wire snips. feckers. Was a small bit cuter with my Trueno after tho
    Ah man, what a bummer!
    We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Comment

• There was a whole canbus thing going on for a while that I presume is still valid. On my 997 I had a choice between doing a DYI double DIN headunit install with CarPlay and all that jazz or a much more expensive canbus adapter to something rather. I did the headunit install and got a very nice surround for it that made it all look OEM. Lifted the interior too away from the god awful Porsche headunit. And got a... Pioneer headunit that could do Bluetooth without any bullsh1t user intervention, amazingly. I did the same in an older Merc that I had plus lots of speakers and stuff. Worked well.

It should be possible to fit amp and speakers you'd think but the whole thing seems to have just died along with the people who used to do it professionally.

Standard audio is still utterly rubbish, by the way. I've always assumed it can be fixed but "sounds" like I now need to select cars where it's already fitted.

Comment

• Another couple of mods from back in the day.. which I was responsible for carrying out too.... headlight eyebrows, adding bee sting roof aerials and aluminium pedal covers

Comment

• The Pioneer I fitted to the boxster that uses the phone app as the interface has a removable face.
          I don't know if I should say this or not but I pop it off if leaving the car parked with the roof down.

Comment

• You probably noticed this but just fitting the Pioneer headunit improved the audio a lot. I was going to replace speakers and the lot in the 997 but concluded it was pointless. Mostly because I couldn't hear anything anyhow. Sound systems in 911's are always pretty bad in my experience, not something I would spend thousands on.

It was always a bit of fun mucking around with the audio stuff, a shame if that can't be done anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cold View Post
              T

Standard audio is still utterly rubbish, by the way.
              Yeah, but it used to be rubbisher.
              https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

• Originally posted by Cold View Post
                You probably noticed this but just fitting the Pioneer headunit improved the audio a lot. I was going to replace speakers and the lot in the 997 but concluded it was pointless. Mostly because I couldn't hear anything anyhow. Sound systems in 911's are always pretty bad in my experience, not something I would spend thousands on.

It was always a bit of fun mucking around with the audio stuff, a shame if that can't be done anymore.
                Porsche have now released retrofit carplay units for the older 911's and Boxster/Caymans. They look great, not sure what they sound like. Upgrading the headunit in them, can be a pain if you have the Bose systems - you need a special adapter, and then lose the ability to use the fader.

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessori...-user-friendly

As it happens though, having several old cars in the fleet means I'm still happily purchasing new headunits and car alarms!

Comment

• Yep it's a nice move by Porsche

Comment

• Originally posted by markcro View Post
                    In the 2000s I bought a lovely Pioneer headunit. This was pre-LCD screens. So used LEDs to display dolphins and bubbles etc. moving around it's front screen. And you could change the colour of the backlit buttons. It was about 500 quid. Serious money then! :-0

This one:

Still have that head unit in my Fiat 20VT!! Along with the mahoosive amp and sub taking up 50% of the boot

Comment

• Originally posted by kdevitt View Post

Porsche have now released retrofit carplay units for the older 911's and Boxster/Caymans. They look great, not sure what they sound like. Upgrading the headunit in them, can be a pain if you have the Bose systems - you need a special adapter, and then lose the ability to use the fader.

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessori...-user-friendly

As it happens though, having several old cars in the fleet means I'm still happily purchasing new headunits and car alarms!
                      I was lucky as it was a non Bose system with only door speakers but did the the fibre optics to the CD changer. The headunit improved sound big time and I also bought a used stoeage cubby and modded it to add rear speakers. All the OEM kit is stored so it can go back factory original in the morning if needs be but the new HU colour matches well in reality and you just use the phone as the touchscreen. Might upgrade dash speakers but that seems a pain on them.

Details here if anyone is interested http://www.backroads.ie/forum/car-re...561#post711561

I fitted a fair few head units back in the day to parents and pals cars in the late 80's 90's, then work and family took over so all mods were out the window.

It was probably one of the best and simplest upgrades to do in terms of user experience and sound quality

Comment

• Another one struck me - surely we haven't done 7 pages with no mention of underfloor neons?

Comment

• Originally posted by markcro View Post
                          Inmy Dad's Morris Marina, he left the standard crappy AM radio in the dash and had a nice Sharp radio cassette fitted under the dashboard on the drivers side. When he sold the car, he took the radio out and fitted it to the next car. It eventually was sold to mate for his Mk.2 Golf. And then he eventually sold it to a neighbour! That was when good radios were worth money!

In the 2000s I bought a lovely Pioneer headunit. This was pre-LCD screens. So used LEDs to display dolphins and bubbles etc. moving around it's front screen. And you could change the colour of the backlit buttons. It was about 500 quid. Serious money then! :-0

This one:

Brings back memories I had that very head unit in a 3 series I think

Comment

• Remember the seat belt cushion things with your car logo on them, looked cool but uncomfortable and the velcro would itch up your neck !!

Comment

• Headlamp eyebrows....

Which weirdly still seem available for even new cars.

s-l400.jpg

Comment

• Aren't you a flash git?!?!! 😅 😜

Cr tape capability, track skip, and NR! It was the 90s before that tech reached Ireland! 😄

That equaliser is also all types of cool!

Originally posted by shaggy View Post
                                This is what I have in my van.

The Panasonic cockpit RM (roof mounted) 710.

436647157510c76c5ee61bca2f5e6361.jpg

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X