ShootingBrake’s S2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

January - April 2021

I’d been debating for a while between buying a facelift front bumper or just fitting a front lip. I decided on the lip for the time being, overall I prefer the pre-facelift styling but might get a facelift bumper down the line for a change.

Test fit of the lip:

A guy on the one of the S2000 groups made up some 2-piece hardtop brackets for me which make installation and removal of the hardtop a lot handier. The existing brackets looked very similar but were all the one piece. Being 2-piece meant I no longer have to remove any interior trim pieces each time. The design also allows me to fit the hardtop a little lower depending on how much I tighten the nut, I was never happy with how high it sat above the body of the car at the rear.

Much less of a gap at the rear now, and completely water-tight.

There had been a strong vibration coming from the rear under acceleration in the last few drives before parking the car up, the most obvious culprit was worn inner CV joint buckets. It’s a common enough issue on lowered S2000s, the bearing surfaces that are engaged when moving forwards get pitted over time. The easy solution is to swap the buckets from one side of the car to the other so there is now a clean bearing surface engaged when going forwards.

I was excited to see if this had solved the vibration problem but I was no longer living out in the sticks and the car was declared off the road so a test drive would have to wait.

While I had the rear of the car lifted up I decided to remove the exhaust. It was completely standard up to this point so it was a little too quiet for my liking. There’s a backbox bypass mod known in S2000 community as the “UK Mod” which lets out a decent amount more noise without being droney. It involves welding in a 1 1/2” diameter pipe into the loop before each backbox to allow a proportion of exhaust gases to exit without having to travel through the entirety of the baffles in the backbox.

One of the exhaust tips was badly dented which had always annoyed me, so a new pair of tips were bought from the dealers. I had some ceramic coating left over from doing alloys for the Z4 so I used up what was left on the new exhaust tips.

I dropped the AP1V2 alloys to Leo Whelan in Douglas to be refurbed so the AP1V1s went back on temporarily. I painted the brake callipers silver and put the front bumper from the parts car on aswell, it still had the number plate plinth and black washer jets so the car looked bone stock besides the hardtop.

Comment

As two car garages go that's not a bad one at all.

What engine is in the Z4?

How do you find driving it compared to the S2000?

Comment

Originally posted by ShootingBrake View Post

That’s right, although he had moved abroad so I never met him myself.

I found a pic of it at Mondello when he must have owned it:

That was taken quiet some time ago, a few of those owners still have those cars, 4 i think. My one is next to yours/Pauls and next to mine is a Cork owner, not sure if you've met him at any of the CnC? Nice job tidying up your own car and buying that crashed car, you can use the arms off it to replace bushings in and just swap them out then. Lots of guides on s2ki for things too.

Comment

Originally posted by Titan View Post
          As two car garages go that's not a bad one at all.

What engine is in the Z4?

How do you find driving it compared to the S2000?
          There’s an N52B30 in the Z4 Titan, same as you’d find in the 130i/330i/630i etc of the same era.

It’s a lot different to the Honda, there’s no need to rev it out all the way to redline and it has plenty of torque from very early on. The Z4 is definitely a very good everyday car, it’s comfortable, quiet when just cruising and very decent on fuel. When you stomp your right foot down the noise out of it changes and it turns into a completely different animal... it’s pretty fun 😁

In saying that, the Honda is a more enjoyable car to hoon around the backroads in, I’m no racecar driver so I’m not sure whether it’s the lack of double wishbone suspension up front in the Z4 or the extra weight of the long engine hanging over the front wheels (even though it’s quite a light engine for a 6 cylinder having a magnesium/aluminium block) or maybe it’s both, but the Honda feels more nimble and sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by TuneR View Post

That was taken quiet some time ago, a few of those owners still have those cars, 4 i think. My one is next to yours/Pauls and next to mine is a Cork owner, not sure if you've met him at any of the CnC? Nice job tidying up your own car and buying that crashed car, you can use the arms off it to replace bushings in and just swap them out then. Lots of guides on s2ki for things too.
            That looked like a good day out! The Amuse bumper looks great on your car, big fan of those. I’ve seen that black S2000 around once or twice but didn’t spot it at any of the C&Cs in Cork I’ve been to so far, although there has been a good few other S2000s in attendance.

Cheers! I’m getting there slowly but surely, bushings will hopefully be replaced next winter, have my mind set on Hardrace rubber bushings but if you have your own experience/preference let me know 😊

Comment

Only spotted the Amuse bumper after you mentioned it.

It really suits the car, I wouldn't like to have to replace that if anything happened to it
              Something like that would not be cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by ShootingBrake View Post

That looked like a good day out! The Amuse bumper looks great on your car, big fan of those. I’ve seen that black S2000 around once or twice but didn’t spot it at any of the C&Cs in Cork I’ve been to so far, although there has been a good few other S2000s in attendance.

Cheers! I’m getting there slowly but surely, bushings will hopefully be replaced next winter, have my mind set on Hardrace rubber bushings but if you have your own experience/preference let me know 😊
                I think that was my first time out on track in the car and to say i was slow was an understatement ha. No experience of the Hardrace stuff but i went with Mugen rubber lower bushes and will get the uppers as well to complete the set, that black car is polybushed and tbh its not too noticeable when driving it on. Daily driving might be different so personally i'd lean towards rubber bushes for less NVH. I had no issues with seized bushes on the JDM car but a different UKDM S2000 i had the bolts were seized on all but 1 corner!

If there wasn't a production/shipping delay (iirc) there would've been 2 Amuse bumpered cars there, instead the ASM bumper is in place on the other Silverstone S. Another Cork owner did that, he's on here still i believe. Must pop down to the next Cars n Coffee if i can though im usually on 2 wheels these days.

Comment

April - September 2021

If you’ve gotten this far without skipping parts you might remember that I refit a leaky clutch master cylinder back in June 2018 as a temporary* fix until the replacement arrived. Well, when it did arrive the car was still driving perfectly so it was left in it’s box and pretty much forgotten about. I’d taxed the car from the 1st April, gone out for the evening on the first spin of the year and when I was on the way home the clutch pedal stuck to the floor... I knew straight away what the problem was so my brain was trying to remember where that box had been put! Luckily I was able to pull the pedal back up and nurse the car the rest of the way home. It was late when I got back so first thing the next morning I went hunting for the box, found it without too much bother and shortly later had the new master cylinder in and clutch line bled. Good to go again. Wish I always had spare parts at the ready like that!

Apart from the issue with the clutch master cylinder the maiden voyage confirmed that the CV joint bucket swap had fixed the vibration under acceleration and I also got to hear the modified exhaust under load for the first time. Absolutely delighted with the sound when at high revs & wide open throttle and it isn’t obnoxious when in traffic or cruising. Pretty much exactly what I wanted.

With the car no longer declared off the road I was able to drop it down to the painters. The plan was to get the holes behind the number plate filled in, the headlamp washer holes filled in and to get the lip fitted & painted. Due to a few stone chips on the front wings/bonnet and to get a good colour match the painter said it’d be best to do the full front end altogether. I asked them if they could remove a large dent out of the bonnet aswell where it looked like someone had pushed down on the bonnet too hard when closing it. I had new Honda badges coming from Japan too but the lead time on them was unknown.

While the car was away getting dickied up, Leo had my alloys ready. After listening to his advice I decided against the OEM diamond cut finish and went with a nice silver with some metallic flakes in it. Leo sent the wheels away to be acid-dipped before working on them to have a perfect base to start with and I couldn’t have been happier with the finished result.

A couple of weeks later I got the car back from her makeover and I was a happy man 😊

For the rest of the summer not a whole pile was done to the car besides driving it and servicing it, so I’ve put together a few pics of days out and about.

Called down to a friend who had just picked up a completely unmodified 1990 200SX!

Carried on from there down to Buttevent to sample a new chipper that had opened.

Feeling a bit left out without any pop-up headlights

Joined in on a classic & vintage run starting in Glantane and going up past Millstreet country park.

The day after that I hit another milestone:

The trip A reading of 333.0 wasn’t even planned just a pure fluke... I’m not that well prepared 😏 I try to reset the trip computer any time I top up the oil to keep an eye on consumption so it was just a happy coincidence.

Made it up the Healy Pass a couple of times again this year.

The eagle-eyed among you might have noticed I still had the AP1V1 centre caps in the facelift wheels. Centre caps are £50 each from Honda so before dropping over €200 on those I said I’d try putting stickers on the the old caps that Leo had painted for me. They’ve been holding up fine so far and match the colour of the wheel perfectly.

My new badges finally arrived... I was debating whether to go for black or red badges, went for the black and I really like how they turned out.

Back to driving around! Herself & her friends rented an airbnb vintage bus on Valentia Island the June bank holiday weekend so of course myself and the Honda headed down... stopped in Killorglin for lunch on the way and spotted a 30th Anniversary ND MX5, 20 years between the 2 cars!

When we got to Portmagee it was so foggy there you could barely see the end of the bridge to the island. And when you were on the island you couldn’t see the mainland at all!

Galley Head

In July I joined Drive Ireland's "Drive The Lake" day out. There was a superb mix of properly tasty machines at this and it drew a nice crowd from all over. I went along without knowing anybody and there was no shortage of friendly faces happy to have a chat about their pride & joy. Looking forward to Drive The Lake 2022 now.

Someone snapped a few pics of the Honda:

A few pics I took myself:

Cork C&C July

Bealick Mill

C&C Cork August, parked between my dream daily and a friends gigantic 166

Followed by a spin out Kinsale direction after C&C

A friend who's handy with a camera organised a group of us to go on a spin up the motorway so he could take some rolling shots

At this stage the Honda was in need of some fresh rubber on the rear, I just about got 20k kms out of the Pilot Sport 4 tyres.

I got into the habit of going for a spin to The Vee after work about once a week, I’d usually arrive just as the sun was setting and have almost empty roads all the way home.

That was it for summer 2021 and brings my ownership of the Honda fairly up-to-date, was taken off the road back in October.
                  I’m already itching to tax it again (even more so after writing this!) so I’m not sure if I’ll have the willpower to wait until April once the evenings start to stretch a bit.

Next few jobs will likely involve replacing the 23 year old bushings and possibly treating her to a decent set of coilovers. Should tick over 350,000kms sometime in 2022 so that’ll surely be an excuse to go on a nice road trip to celebrate

Comment

A great write up. Some day I might even read it. Smiley Emoji seems to be broken.
                    Some really good photos, something I'm not good at taking the time to do.
                    You are fortunate to have some really good roads there. I have been to the Healy and Connor pass last year both like driving through pea soup but still fun.
                    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command.

Very often that individual is crazy.

Comment

The facelift wheels look so good! Car has really shaped up well

Comment

I wonder if that was DMZ’s MX5?? Car is looking sharp, nice work.
                        I’m standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused?? 🤨🤪

Comment

Car looks fantastic with the wheels, hardtop, no reg plate etc.

Just looks very clean and OEM. Very jealous.

Comment

Great thread, great car, great to see the love for the machine.
                            I always wanted one.
                            www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

Cool thread! Keep the updates coming! S2000s are stunning.
                              We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
                                A great write up. Some day I might even read it. Smiley Emoji seems to be broken.
                                Some really good photos, something I'm not good at taking the time to do.
                                You are fortunate to have some really good roads there. I have been to the Healy and Connor pass last year both like driving through pea soup but still fun.
                                Thanks Charlie, I really couldn’t be luckier with so many great roads within a stones throw!

Originally posted by Smythy411 View Post
                                The facelift wheels look so good! Car has really shaped up well
                                Cheers Smythy, it was always either going to be the facelift alloys or RPF1s!

Originally posted by Bazg2 View Post
                                I wonder if that was DMZ’s MX5?? Car is looking sharp, nice work.
                                Thanks Baz!

Originally posted by Bigserious View Post
                                Car looks fantastic with the wheels, hardtop, no reg plate etc.
                                Just looks very clean and OEM. Very jealous.
                                Wish I could leave the reg plate off all the time 😄

Originally posted by Tristan View Post
                                Great thread, great car, great to see the love for the machine.
                                I always wanted one.
                                Cheers Tristan!

Originally posted by markcro View Post
                                Cool thread! Keep the updates coming! S2000s are stunning.
                                Nice one Mark 😄

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X