New Joiner BMW 440i Gran Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Joiner BMW 440i Gran Coupe

I have been lurking around here for some time and posted some months ago about a BMW M2 which was for sale. I was in the market for an M2 but they kept creeping further up in value and eventually out of budget so I finally pulled the trigger on a 440i Gran Coupe in June which Frank Keane had taken as a trade in. Pictures below are from when JC autocare did a stage 2 paint correction given the swirls which only become visible after the first wash.

I enjoy that it looks like a standard 420D to the regular punter until you look at the rear and notice the twin pipes. The noise on start up is brilliant but then quietens down quite a lot, it is also quiet inside the car when hitting high revs which is a bit frustrating (annoyingly someone is selling a 440i m performance exhaust on done deal). I only really got a sense of its capability on a weekend trip to Donegal where overtaking is required frequently. The car was effortless in overtaking and when flicking between comfort and sport you notice the more aggressive gear changes and sharper responses.

Will bring it along to a cars and coffee sometime soon.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Definitely buy the exhaust

Comment

I have the M performance exhaust on my 340i and definitely worth getting.

Comment

Originally posted by HWC View Post
        I have been lurking around here for some time and posted some months ago about a BMW M2 which was for sale. I was in the market for an M2 but they kept creeping further up in value and eventually out of budget so I finally pulled the trigger on a 440i Gran Coupe in June which Frank Keane had taken as a trade in. Pictures below are from when JC autocare did a stage 2 paint correction given the swirls which only become visible after the first wash.

I enjoy that it looks like a standard 420D to the regular punter until you look at the rear and notice the twin pipes. The noise on start up is brilliant but then quietens down quite a lot, it is also quiet inside the car when hitting high revs which is a bit frustrating (annoyingly someone is selling a 440i m performance exhaust on done deal). I only really got a sense of its capability on a weekend trip to Donegal where overtaking is required frequently. The car was effortless in overtaking and when flicking between comfort and sport you notice the more aggressive gear changes and sharper responses.

Will bring it along to a cars and coffee sometime soon.

Welcome to the B58 gang, hard to see in the pictures but is it an SE or Msport model, definitely get the Mperformance exhaust if you can, you can also replace the center section with non reasonated version which should add some volume
        335i #Team500

Comment

Welcome aboard and a fine car that!

The MPPSK makes some difference, from stately grown up pootle along scenario to Sports+ howl of fun. Cannot recommend it enough.

Anyone who has heard it on my 340i rates it.....

Comment

Welcome! the B58 is an absolute peach of an engine. I found the same re engine noise on my M140i, very quiet when I first got it, but having said that over time the sound/tone has gotten better. Watch out for the exhaust flap making a horrible rattle, it's a common issue that afflicts lots of these cars. The spring retaining the flap gets loose (or cracks and falls out!) and then the exhaust makes the most horrendous rattle. 10 euro part to fix, but mine went twice and wouldn't be surprised if it went again.

Comment

In the M140i at least the M perf exhaust doesn't have a valve, so that's a permanent way to solve the problem!

Comment

Originally posted by legacydan View Post

Welcome to the B58 gang, hard to see in the pictures but is it an SE or Msport model, definitely get the Mperformance exhaust if you can, you can also replace the center section with non reasonated version which should add some volume
                Its an Msport and thanks for the tip. From all the responses it seems like a no brainer to upgrade. Ill add it to the list along with getting rid of the run flats.

Comment

I saw one of these recently outside Woodies in Waterford. A Snapper Rocks Blue one. I love how stealthy these are until you see the exhaust pipes. It's a case of 'if you know, you know'.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X