156 2.4 jtd sportwagon on donedeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 156 2.4 jtd sportwagon on donedeal

Would anyone know this car or have any buyers advice?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...te-jtd/6963031

I'm in the market for a budget estate and this one seems nice, never owned an Alfa before so anything to watch out on this one?

Is the 2.4 any use?
    Last edited by Alan_D; 22-05-2014, 12:35 PM. Reason: http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-156-estate-jtd/6963031

There are some old threads up here on the 159 2.4jtd. Its more common to see them lumped into a 159 but I have driven my buddy's 159 2.4 and I can tell you its a very impressive engine, very quick and very impressive economy for the size of it. It is very common to require replacement tyres/suspension bits due to the weight up front but this seller has sorted that and given he has an Alfa V6 to use instead it seems he is a bit of an alfisti and that is a very important thing if your buying a 2nd hand Alfa because it usually means its been looked after, and he has receipts for work done. The very least you can do is go and drive it, you could be on to a winner

You will own nothing and you will be happy!

Comment

2.4 JTD engine is 170 is bhp standard if I recall correctly; easy remap up to 210 bhp.

Drove a saloon 156 with that engine fitted and remap done and it was superb; real wolf in (diesel) sheeps clothing.

As above, if you can find a well minded one I'm sure it would be well worth a bet.
      Anon. - "owned since 2004. never had a disc on her."

Comment

Can't see that lasting long Damm why is it 2 weeks to pay day!

Comment

Looks a cracker alright and these are getting fairly rare now, especially in 2.4 guise and especially in Alfisti hands - you can be sure this is a good 'un.

Comment

thanks for the replies, will see if i can get over to take a look.

Comment

Looks a real good one, the 20v 2.4's suffered from drive shaft issues but he mentions having them reconditioned.

Comment

Hi Folks, Tim here owner of the 156 2.4 SW. Here http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showt...6-2-5-V6/page3
                Last edited by 166man; 23-05-2014, 01:23 AM.

Comment

That was me on the phone yesterday evening.
                  Looking forward to seeing the car in the flesh

Comment

Originally posted by 166man View Post
                    Hi Folks, Tim here owner of the 156 2.4 SW. Here http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showt...6-2-5-V6/page3

As an impartial 156 2.4 JTDM owner, I think the above is a fair summary. They are a cracking car, Ive done 60ish k in mine since getting it. I had one drive shaft done, and will have to get the other done at some stage. Apart from maintenance and an alternator bearing, it has been perfectly reliable. Heavy on front tyres (inside can wear) and b@stard tax (but thats not the cars fault). The EGR can clog, but its a ten minute job to strip it off and clean it down. The engine is a cracker tho. Buckets of torque, and power. Very easy to exceed the speed limit without realising it. Also easily returns the 54 real mpg on long easy runs. Its also a really nice place to sit. Of course, red is the best colour for them Recommended!

edit - and looking at the ad, that particular one seems to be a pretty well cared for car!
                    Last edited by fortytwo; 23-05-2014, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan_D View Post
                      That was me on the phone yesterday evening.
                      Looking forward to seeing the car in the flesh
                      I guessed as much! Thanks for the call anyway, I'll give you a shout on Saturday evening if that's ok.

Originally posted by fortytwo View Post
                      As an impartial 156 2.4 JTDM owner, I think the above is a fair summary. They are a cracking car, Ive done 60ish k in mine since getting it. I had one drive shaft done, and will have to get the other done at some stage. Apart from maintenance and an alternator bearing, it has been perfectly reliable. Heavy on front tyres (inside can wear) and b@stard tax (but thats not the cars fault). The EGR can clog, but its a ten minute job to strip it off and clean it down. The engine is a cracker tho. Buckets of torque, and power. Very easy to exceed the speed limit without realising it. Also easily returns the 54 real mpg on long easy runs. Its also a really nice place to sit. Of course, red is the best colour for them Recommended!

edit - and looking at the ad, that particular one seems to be a pretty well cared for car!
                      Nice to know there's another owner! The more I drive mine the more I realise what it must have been like getting that car new in 2004. The father got a 166 facelift 2.0 TwinSpark new that year but really this is the car he should always have had.

Good to know yours has been generally reliable, doing the sums the tax is easier to bear with the economy:power ratio.

Comment

Hi Folks, some of you may have seen I took down the ad as I believed I had a deal done with a buyer. This buyer is no longer able to complete the sale and as such I have relisted the ad.

If any of you have any question fire away, I just thought I'd clear it up in case anyone was wondering.

Cheers

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X