X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It depends where it's out of kilter tbh
    www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

Google photos reminded me this week that it's 12 months since I put the Megane in the shed and pulled the engine out.

Embarrassed to say, it's still sitting in the same spot 12 months later. It's close to being completed but the replacement engine threw up some unexpected issues and caused some headaches as well as some additional picked lightening!!

Bit of updating to do to this thread so I'll try to catch it up! We left it end of Feb with the engine out. Removing the engine provided the evidence that the old engine was subject to awful maintenance from a coolant perspective. Looks like just water was used and things were very rusty. The oil cooler was almost blocked solid so decision made to source a new one as well as new radiator.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Comment

The fuel system and set up was an area I was keen to refresh and upgrade as part of this process.

The MK3 Megane engine is stronger than the MK2 and part of the reason to delve into this. I plan to aim for nice BHP increase over the standard R26 engine so I've gone with new 630cc Siemens DEKA injectors. Standard are 440cc I think. No harm to have fresh injectors at this age too!

With over 110k miles on the clock I thought it prudent to replace the fuel pump too and seeing as the plan is to remap the car, I upgraded to a Deatshwerks DW65C which is a 265lpm Pump. Thanks to a Meganesport from in the UK it identified this as a direct fit. And it was. Internet can be trusted, at times!!

Next fuel system upgrade was to hardwire the fuel pump. Bought a Deatshwerks hardwire kit to make things handier. All aimed at making the fueling a more reliable when adding a bigger pump, injectors and extra power.

One final piece of the fuel system upgrade was pressure related. Happy to be corrected on this but here's my basic understanding!! The fuel system on the Mk2 megane (this car) differs from the MK3 (new engine being fitted) when it comes to the fuel pressure set up. The MK3 has a rising rate pressure system but the MK2 doesn't. Both have a relief valve in the fuel pump housing but the MK3 runs a higher pressures one with another valvo the fuel rail taking a pressure reference from the intake.

My understanding (as said, please correct me) is the MK2 runs a standard 3.5bar pressure fuel but as boost pressure in the intake rises, this has the impact of reducing the fuel pressure at the rail/being injected. So at 1bar boost, you're getting a real 2.5bar fuel pressure.

The MK3 combats this by running a 5.5bar fuel tank regulator and the second one at the rail so it can add more fuel pressure in line with the boost pressure detected.

The MK3 Megane fuel pump set up doesn't fit the MK2 but someone much smarter then me figured a solution. A 5.0 bar in tank FPR that fits the Megane 2 housing was found but not without a tiny modification. That coupled to a Phase 1 Megane 2 pump housing gives a 5.0bar fuel system v what was a 3.5bar system..just to get ECU to handle it!!

Last edited by Chawkie; 19-02-2022, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Good to see you back at it lad.
          www.PatHoranMotors.com

Comment

The clutch had let go late 2020 a week before I was due to do a trackday in Mondello. Actually the same week I got the bad news about the low compression.

A great excuse to add some more tools and DIY the clutch change. Bought a handy universal clutch alignment tool and a flywheel stopper.

Like most modern cars, the Megane runs a DMF. Id prefer to run DMF still but they're awful expensive and a weak point when running more torque in the future.

The R26 and the special R26R run different clutch and flywheel setups. The R26R is rated for more torque so I went with an OEM (made by LUK) R26R clutch disc and pressure plate mated to a TTV solid lightweight flywheel. All new OEM flywheel bolts and clutch cover bolts. New OEM slave cylinder all sourced from MND Motorsport in the UK.

DMF weighed in about 12.5kg v 7.5kg for the new one.

Comment

Were still back in April. At this point I was feeling great about progress, going smoothly enough.

I've found a polish Renault/Dacia supplier of OEM stuff. In keeping with what is beginning to become a little bit of a theme, I ordered some new MK3 RS250 Brembos.

With some adaptors to fit, these can run 340mm same as a MK3 Megane upgraded from 312mm on the MK2.

Comment

The final step on the fuel system work was this week, in order to start the car and have the fuelling someway reasonable I've refitted the OEM injectors. These are 390cc.afaik and will be upgrading to 630cc ones which will have plenty head room after mapping.

To get the injector rail removed meant removing the front slam panel to get enough access to the bolt holding in the rail. Loosened it all and pushed it forward about 2 inches which allowed enough room to swing a rathet.

Quick comparison of the fuel rails on the MK2 and MK3 engines. New one is centre feed which is a better design. The injector spacing is different on both engines meaning can't simply upgrade the old engines with a MK3 rail unfortunately.

Injectors have very different style between the 2 engines too. MK2 uses a short injectors, MK3 uses a much longer one and the aftermarket injector which is used on both engines is a short one!!

As mentioned before, the car originally ran a static fuel pressure system of 3.5bar where as the new system will run a rising rate. Again in order to get the initial start up I needed to disable the rising rate aspect. Thanks to guidance from the UK forum I was told how to. I don't understand why this works but I'm relying on the internet advice!!!

So, the rail FPR gets taken apart and the o ring on it removed. It's disconnected from the intake manifold and left open to the atmosphere. The pipe to the intake manifold is blocked. All to be reversed when the mapper is dialling in the rising rate system.

Tapatalk currently failing when I try to upload images, I'll come back and edit later.

Comment

Fair play Paul, mighty work to do on your own. Great that the internet is there to lend a helping hand when needed.

Comment

Thread needs some catching up, I've had some issues that had me questioning if this was every going to run. Good news is that its running and out of the shed today!!

Struggling with gear selection though but hopefully a maiden spin up and down the yard tomorrow!!

Excited!!

Comment

Emotional support fire extinguisher

Comment

Did you sort out the rear alignment?
                        www.PatHoranMotors.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tristan View Post
                          Did you sort out the rear alignment?
                          No, haven't gone near it since. Thought it pointless until now if it didn't run!

I'm toying with changing the rear set up to a newer setup. A scenic one bolts on, gives a slightly wider rear track and also allows it to be shimmed if necessary

Comment

That sounds like a no brainer, if they're not too hard to find.
                            www.PatHoranMotors.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tristan View Post
                              That sounds like a no brainer, if they're not too hard to find.
                              Yes, pretty easy find I believe, the extra width is apparently welcome too but moves the issue to getting a wheel with a good offset to still fit so requires more investigation

Comment

Take a young sledge to the arches, be the solid finest. Boss.
                                www.PatHoranMotors.com

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X