No announcement yet.

2008 Audi 8P S3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's ensuring the car doesn't go bang first!
    I’m standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused?? 🤨🤪

Comment

Yeah I’ve heard that cruise control can lead to all manner of issues like coking, blown turbos, bottom end rebuilds and even total loss due to falling asleep at the wheel

Comment

I'm actually quoting myself here, I said to George Dalton and he chuckled loudly - "the way I'm driving it you could lop 100 bhp OFF the car and I wouldn't notice for 3 weeks"

Comment

Totally missed this. So this is the schnakey S3 mentioned but never appeared in its own thread! Very nice Bloke. What are these as standard, 260-300?

Comment

265 standard I think? An easy 300+ I imagine with a map. It's loads as is tbh.

Comment

Jeez the new arrival GTi was getting all the attention the last few days. A fresh valet and hoovering. Camera out for snaps, WhatsApp and Facebook posts flying about. The poor ol S3 was feeling a bit neglected. I was even looking up used values and thinking if should cash in. So when the Mrs fired up The Crown on Netflix I scarpered out the door for a rekindling of passion hoon. Just up, down and around a bunch of motorway on and off ramps and roundabouts for an hour to stretch her legs in 2nd and 3rd gear around some sweepers. - Really enjoyed it. Its so rarely I put the shoe in that I forget how quick it is. Nearly gives you a fright when you're not used to it. I just can't imagine what it'd be like after a map. I think I will get it done though. Maybe make it my Christmas pressie to myself or something.

Comment

Originally posted by bloke View Post
                Jeez the new arrival GTi was getting all the attention the last few days. A fresh valet and hoovering. Camera out for snaps, WhatsApp and Facebook posts flying about. The poor ol S3 was feeling a bit neglected. I was even looking up used values and thinking if should cash in. So when the Mrs fired up The Crown on Netflix I scarpered out the door for a rekindling of passion hoon. Just up, down and around a bunch of motorway on and off ramps and roundabouts for an hour to stretch her legs in 2nd and 3rd gear around some sweepers. - Really enjoyed it. Its so rarely I put the shoe in that I forget how quick it is. Nearly gives you a fright when you're not used to it. I just can't imagine what it'd be like after a map. I think I will get it done though. Maybe make it my Christmas pressie to myself or something.
                Every man deserves a map for Christmas

Comment

Originally posted by bloke View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Jordanfaf View Post
                    Can’t beat a refreshed reassurance in a purchase. A remap had been on the cards for me, would really finish the car off. Do a bit of research on the clutch tho. I imagine it’ll need an upgrade, the flywheels are a bit soft on these I think!

If your after wing backs I might have a lead on a set of black leather ones in good nick drop me a PM if interested.
                    Must have a look into it alright. The last time she was down at Daltons they prepped her up in anticipation of a map so she should be good to go. Clutch is fine at the minute and I hardly drive her on at all, and I certainly won't be doing any rippin' standing starts. (Pm sent for the laugh!)

Comment

• Pride and joy. There's been a dearth of either of those that I should really address. I'm gone very bad for posting generally and really bad in terms of updating this thread at all. I find it hard to shed the idea in the back of my head that these car diaries are just cynical long-term DoneDeal ads, but I do enjoy reading everyone else's so, it behoves me to do the same.
                      There's 141k (km) on the S3 now, so she's still only a wee pre-pubescent in the odometer stakes. Annual service time came up there last week so I dropped her down to Dalton's again for a "while-u-wait" basic service. They did that and then also discovered a very slight oil leak but didn't have the time to investigate, so I actually brought her down again this week and I've to collect her this afternoon. In the meantime I have a 300,000 mile Seat Toledo TDi as a loaner which is a great trick 'cos it reminds you in no uncertain terms why having a nice car is essential and worth paying for! . A good lesson to learn when the ol' annual tax bill is looming (end of the month after next), so hopefully I'll have the funds to rip that hairy band-aid off in one go. Then, if God stops whacking me with random bills I might finally start to line up a re-map, the re-map I've been promising myself since I got it, in fact the map I vowed I'd always get as soon as I acquired the S3 8P I'd always wanted!!!

There are a couple of small jobs I'd love to do on her, the kind of stuff that Flet manages to sort out between first and second breakfast, with a twinkle in his eye and a can o Linden open in the background . Small, trim fixing style stuff. For some reason I'm fcukin hopeless at that stuff when it comes to cars, whereas with bicycles I know exactly what I want, exactly where to find it, exactly where to get it fitted.

The centre arm-rest for example, the catch is gone on it. Very common issue. Also, the rear window blind - again the catch is dodgy, and finally the centre console has a "credit card holder" pop out binnacle that's absolutely useless and is oft-times replaced with a much handier cup holder.
                      But when sit down to try and figure out how to fix it I end up in a Reddit Audi forum rabbit hole deep-dive of threads from a decade ago, full of dead-links and no resolution, or else a bucket of spaghetti description involving fcukin dremel bits, homemade clip fasteners and 3d fcukin printing

Comment

• I seen this down in Daltons the last two times I was there. I seen it on good Friday and again yesterday. It looks like a very clean example, they’re still a great looking car.

Comment

• Originally posted by gseco View Post
                          I seen this down in Daltons the last two times I was there. I seen it on good Friday and again yesterday. It looks like a very clean example, they’re still a great looking car.
                          No way!!!

That's gas. - What had you there yourself? There were some lovely motors in the car park - looked to be a selection of R's and also an R32.

Comment

• Originally posted by bloke View Post
                            No way!!!

That's gas. - What had you there yourself? There were some lovely motors in the car park - looked to be a selection of R's and also an R32.
                            I have an Oryx White golf R, it was parked beside you on good Friday. I didn’t know it was you at the time or I would have introduced myself. Yeah there is always a nice selection there, I seen a lovely blue R32 with wingbacks yesterday and a red RS6.

Comment

• Originally posted by bloke View Post
                              Pride and joy. There's been a dearth of either of those that I should really address. I'm gone very bad for posting generally and really bad in terms of updating this thread at all. I find it hard to shed the idea in the back of my head that these car diaries are just cynical long-term DoneDeal ads, but I do enjoy reading everyone else's so, it behoves me to do the same.
                              There's 141k (km) on the S3 now, so she's still only a wee pre-pubescent in the odometer stakes. Annual service time came up there last week so I dropped her down to Dalton's again for a "while-u-wait" basic service. They did that and then also discovered a very slight oil leak but didn't have the time to investigate, so I actually brought her down again this week and I've to collect her this afternoon. In the meantime I have a 300,000 mile Seat Toledo TDi as a loaner which is a great trick 'cos it reminds you in no uncertain terms why having a nice car is essential and worth paying for! . A good lesson to learn when the ol' annual tax bill is looming (end of the month after next), so hopefully I'll have the funds to rip that hairy band-aid off in one go. Then, if God stops whacking me with random bills I might finally start to line up a re-map, the re-map I've been promising myself since I got it, in fact the map I vowed I'd always get as soon as I acquired the S3 8P I'd always wanted!!!

There are a couple of small jobs I'd love to do on her, the kind of stuff that Flet manages to sort out between first and second breakfast, with a twinkle in his eye and a can o Linden open in the background . Small, trim fixing style stuff. For some reason I'm fcukin hopeless at that stuff when it comes to cars, whereas with bicycles I know exactly what I want, exactly where to find it, exactly where to get it fitted.

The centre arm-rest for example, the catch is gone on it. Very common issue. Also, the rear window blind - again the catch is dodgy, and finally the centre console has a "credit card holder" pop out binnacle that's absolutely useless and is oft-times replaced with a much handier cup holder.
                              But when sit down to try and figure out how to fix it I end up in a Reddit Audi forum rabbit hole deep-dive of threads from a decade ago, full of dead-links and no resolution, or else a bucket of spaghetti description involving fcukin dremel bits, homemade clip fasteners and 3d fcukin printing

Comment

• No entry here since April. Car is still going strong anyway. Still unmolested. I was once again fingering down the back of the couch to see what kind of loose change I could cobble together to get the car mapped and finally fit cruise control when the ol' simple car necessities of life picked my pocket again! I'd actually been on to Joe Power (and got a reply, heavens to Betsy!) but by some mad coincidence BOTH the GTi and the S3 were due NCT's on the same day. Fitted new boots all around to the Golf and got some wiring fixed and a centre brake light and she passed. Put the Audi through then the following day and the :D:D:D:D:D failed. Grrr. The alignment was out a bit which was a fail, and they also copped that the little arm at the back that levels the headlights was broken. That's been broken since I got it but they didn't notice it in the NCT before. Oh and the 2 rear tyres were borderline as well. - So that was enough to take the wind out of the sails of most disposable incomes for a while.

My relationship with the Audi is a bit funny, I've been hot and cold over it since I got it, but the last few months now it's finally been getting under my skin a bit, by which I mean in a good way. For a long time there she just wasn't running 100%. An ever so slight hesitancy under full load, particularly say on a motorway climb in 6th gear. So slight that I thought I was only imagining it, but then every like 4 or 5 months I'd get an EML and I'd go "Ah right, another coil" and I'd go get it changed, but it wouldn't really make any difference in terms of the engine running. Anyway, I finally took it to Daltons and they immediately diagnosed an injector - the coils were all fine. The changed that and it's been really nice since. Smoother, cleaner - more like you'd expect it to be. So that's been great.
                                The NCT is due now tomorrow night as it happens and I was on my way down this afternoon to Daltons again to do the headlight leveller thingy and fit two Pilot sports to match the fronts and get the alignment done, when they rang and said "Em... turns out we don't have those tyres..." "Sh1te ". Then when they went to fit the headlight yoke, they had the wrong arm. "Double-sh1te". But all maybe well in the end cos it seems they were able to repair the one that was there, with no charge, and sourced the tyres and alignment for me in Blanchardstown. (I'd rang a few places and noone had PS4's in stock nor could they get them for tomorrow.). So hopefully I'll have the car sorted tomorrow evening and a fresh disc tomorrow night. Then next week another round of motor tax and the gosh-darned Golf insurance is up. That'll be enough wallet raping for a while. A bit of snow now is the next thing to look forward to and have some holiday-season quattro fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X