150bhp Bangernomics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150bhp Bangernomics

OK, so I've been using the T4 transporter as a daily for the past couple of years; it's constantly full of bikes with the Rebike project steaming along nicely.

It was originally bought 3.5yrs ago as a base for a camper conversion project, to the point that I have a full set of cupboard/wardrobe units, carpet lining, stove, sink and fridge all in storage accumulated.

But...I never got past the insulation, soundproofing and ply lining stage, much to the amusement of the lads in Happy Campers in Wexford, who keep (sarcastically) telling me there's no point in rushing things!

I've always kept a lookout for something 'interesting' to use as a daily, so that I could take the van off the road and blitz into finishing the conversion. Unfortunately, nothing has ever come along.

A recent call from a work colleague asking if I could find someone in the VAG community to take his car for small money has changed this, however. He claimed his mechanic said it was beyond mechanical repair as it has suffered some kind of electrical and ECU catastophe. I rang the mechanic, who I know and asked his opinion.....''it's fu(ked'' was his reply.

I figured for 350 European pounds, it was worth a shot at salvation, seeing as she still had a few months test still in the window.

Plus the fact that the previous owner had looked after it meticulously, with regular servicing/valeting...hell, there was even 50 quids worth of petrol in the tank which had been filled about 25mins before she broke down!

And so, this has recently ended up in my driveway...01 Golf GTi, 112k, lots of history, ''macklet'', as the lads with the moptops and skinny jeans like to say on dungdeal.
    IMG_20160411_222018.jpg IMG_20160411_221957.jpg

What's the first thing you do with a non-runner?

Buy new alloys, of course!!

So after a 4.5hr drive to Sligo, 12minutes in Sligo talking to the seller, then a 4.5hr drive back to Waterford, a set of 17'' Audi TT Comps which had been mirror polished ended up in my possession. They really suit the mk4 and are a wheel I've always liked.
    golf4.jpg

Next step, better get her running I s'pose.

Off the the electrical/electronic genius Padraic Bolger in Customvolkz, better known as Podsy in the aircooled VW community. He had her running in 15minutes after diagnosing an aftermarket alarm unit that had shorted out, killing power to the ECU.

So, to date 350 for the car, 400 for the wheels/tyres, minus 250 I got for the original wheels/tyres. 500 quid for 150bhp? Not bad.

Bangernomics at its finest.

Better get the finger out and tear into this van....

It's wonderful to buy a car like that. Early last year I bought an MR2 that was for sale advertised as "parts or repair" all it needed to get running was a new coil.....

Good luck with the golf they are a nice car if a little cheeky wearing a gti badge.

Comment

Bangernomics rocks. I'm at about 408 euro for the 3 series touring.

Comment

Now that's a win! You'll surely claw a chunk of that back when you sell the original wheels?

EDIT: just saw you did!
        If they think you're crude, go technical; if they think you're technical, go crude. I'm a very technical boy.

Comment

Comment

Need's JOMs

(said I'd get in before cian)

Comment

Lumpenomics

Can't argue with that though, great buy.
              https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

These mk4's are really at a sweet spot now, right at the bottom of the value curve, almost at utter worthlessness. But a good one is a great little motor, decent combination of handling, power, road manners, practicality.

Great cars.

Comment

Haven't mentioned it to the mechanic, as I know him for years, didn't want to offend him - he was only going on the evidence before him. Podsy truly is a genius when it comes to this stuff. After sitting in the car for the first time, he was sure he'd have her running within an hour but he surpassed himself by fixing it in 15 minutes!

Haven't the heart to tell my work colleague, as he loved the car...he was genuinely gutted having to sell it. Gonna tell him its costing a fortune to fix.

I'm a nice, considerate guy that way.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBoy View Post
                    Need's JOMs

I'm too old for JOMs these days, dude!

Lowering springs and a MK1 TT225 ARB wouldn't be out of the question though....

Comment

Originally posted by bloke View Post
                      These mk4's are really at a sweet spot now, right at the bottom of the value curve, almost at utter worthlessness. But a good one is a great little motor, decent combination of handling, power, road manners, practicality.

Great cars.
                      In fairness, they're well screwed together, and for that money, I couldn't let her go to the crusher!

I bought one brand new in 2000, the first Tornado Red Mk4 in Ireland at the time. Loved it, til it started rattling and showing up the poor assembly practices in the South African plant, which was producing them to help cope with European demand that the Wolfsburg Germany plant couldn't keep up with.

Always said I'd buy another when they got cheap...never thought I'd get one for the price of a basic pushbike, though!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBoy View Post
                        Need's JOMs

He's the boy for JOMs, never owed a set myself.

I too have a mk4, it's the family hack at the minute and does it in its stride. 280,000km on it as we speak

OH and another great thing is one in finished somebody will buy it to use the engine for a project. Win
                        Originally posted by Alfaguy
                        I am easy to please with cars

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X