No announcement yet.

Smokey's Carbon Black E46 m3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Carbon Black M5 is the same re the paint, who's the detailer?
    Last edited by Tristan; 03-02-2020, 11:58 PM.
    www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by bloke View Post
      Some snap. Nice one.
      https://instagram.com/__macvaletinga...=118r27apybkf5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Poor punctuation and spelling via iPhone keyboard & odd words here and there via autocorrect

Comment

Been quite busy lately and outside of oil services a few small jobs had piled up that I had not had a chance to do.

A headlight bulb had blown, I replaced the pair due to the colour difference. Just testing it works.

The passenger one being the new one, can definitely see a colour difference so it seems the bulbs start to take a blueish tinge as the age and come to the end of life.

Both are now replaced and I have a spare igniter and ballast on hand which I ordered before I did anything because I just hate wasting time on putting something back together when I don’t have all the parts I might need for the job

I had been for the past year been suffering with the car running out of fuel. This would happen around 1/4 tank on the gauge. Not ideal and it caught me out a few times. When I removed the tank unit on the passenger side I was met with a pipe off. This pipe it turns out is the pickup that brings the fuel to the drivers side of the tank. It’s know as the sucking jet pump or suction jet pump. It must be some form of an eductor in its working judging by the name.

I didn’t have the correct part on hand to fix this and I don’t particularly like how it was fixed. But seeing as the old one failed my “agri style” fix should outlast any expensive and badly designed part. The more I work on BMW’s the more I see there is zero thought put into fluid compatibility with the materials they make their parts from. The clip that held the hose had broken presumably from being immersed in petrol all its life.

Luckily I have no pictures to relive the horror of putting a self tapping screw on a car part but I drilled a small hole through the clip and reinstalled the hose with a self tapper. Now I can drive the car right down until the fuel light comes on which is quite regular considering the small tank. Before this I was getting much less than 200 miles from brim full which is super annoying.
        Poor punctuation and spelling via iPhone keyboard & odd words here and there via autocorrect

Comment

You need to let the new bulb "bed in" with HIDs, it will eventually match the older one. Keep up the good work though.
          I’m standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused?? 🤨🤪

Comment

The SMG gearknob was starting to look tired.

I mentioned it to my friend who’s a fitter/turner and he turned these out at short notice.

That’s a new gearknob and surround made from 316 stainless steel.

He also turned this up for a bit of fun out of mild steel and it feels fantastic to drive with!

May not be to every ones tastes but I’m very happy with the stainless set which I’ll be keeping on the car.

Comment

too much weight gain on your knob
              I’m standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused?? 🤨🤪

Comment

German dildo style, does your missus be taking your car more often now?

Comment

Smokey's Carbon Black E46 m3

I booked this in for a diff rebuild. The pinion seal was leaking and the drive line noise which is a common issue (loud clunking) was starting to kill me a little inside every time I engaged first or reverse.

Not a bad leak by any standards and the oil level was still fine.

The hired help:

I ordered this little fellow to fix the play in the right hand driveshaft:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Right-drive...-/264021332617https://www.hackengineering.co.uk/pr...t-e46-m3-z4-m/

Dirty flange picture

Also to go on the car which I've had hanging around for a while are:
                  New OEM Engine Mounts
                  New OEM gearbox mounts
                  New OEM rear camber arms
                  Decat pipes which I'm super excited about fitting!

The crown wheel looked like it was in good nick so I'll leave that there too. I had been tempted by fitting a 3.9 ratio which is the middle ground between the standard 3.6 and the ultra short 4.1 ratio but ultimately I think it would go against what I want from the car. I want to be able to enjoy the engine note for as long as possible, if I fit a shorter ratio I will improve the acceration marginally but that also means shortening the amount of time it takes to get to illegal speeds which is already fast enough. I mentioned in another thread about how I preferred in some ways my standard geared b16 civic vs the 4.9 ratioed integra type r I previously had, purely because the civic allowed me to enjoy the engine note for longer.

I should have the majority of the parts by the end of the week, I must say I'm missing driving the thing at the moment, my runaround is a smelly heap of shite and the diesel fumes are making me sick.
                  Last edited by Smokey Bear; 04-02-2020, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Nice work SB.
                        www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

Great work man, nice to see the attention to detail that most wouldnt care, take the time or notice.
                          Lovely M3, a car I have always wanted. If you are replacing xenons get the new philips xtreme vision gen 2 from powerbulbs which are about 95 pound for 2 delivered. Meant to be the best on the market 4800k white.

Comment

Thanks for the nice words lads! I think part of the reward of documenting mundane sh1te like this is others appreciation or recognition for what’s being done. I do apologise for the mess in the photos though, not the nicest photos to look at.

Comment

Great work and always good to see a well cared for M3. [emoji1303]

Comment

There wasnt such a great paint job dont on the reinforcement plates.

I took them back with a wire wheel and brush painted the areas which I wasnt happy with. I wanted to leave the rest of the factory coating as is because the car is in such good condition underneath.

The new front diff bush is on the right, seems to be a revised design. This is the one that presses into the subframe.

The main subframe bushes were fairly wanked, I noticed this when we were trying to get out the front diff bush so the subframe was whipped off last Friday. Im still fuming that the last owner didnt do these when the floor was being done. The rubber was burnt to make it easier to drill out.

Used a 13 drill bit to get the rubber out, that allows the hacksaw blade to be put in to cut the outer shell of the bush out. If you dont burn the rubber youll snap heaps of drill bits.

The subframe, unlike the rest of the car was looking a bit scaldy, this got a rub down with the wire wheel and some more brush paint treatment. Time didnt allow for power coating and to be honest I like the fact that if there are any chips from stones etc I can touch them in.

Theres always one man that thinks head torches are a good idea.

Engine mounts were also fairly ed

I had to balance the engine on a gearbox stand fairly precariously and drop the subframe to get these out.

New fresh mounts in.

Some boring and expensive bolts and gaskets

Back on the road

The knocking from the rear end is gone. Im over the moon about this really. Its been known as the m clunk on some forums which I always thought was a load of crap. Its really just excessive backlash inside the LSD unit as the backlash on my crown wheel and pinion on disassembly was in spec. The diff seems to lock fine now, a bit smoother but it was also raining tonight so still cant 100% judge. The gear changes are now very direct with no slip which I think is a combination of the guibo, centre bearing, the new shim and of course all the bushes at the back.

Anyway hopefully some mods next!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X