No announcement yet.

Scrubbing in new tyres advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, did you turn the engine a few times while you had the plug out of #4 cylinder?

Comment

Originally posted by pedrosixfour View Post
      By the way, did you turn the engine a few times while you had the plug out of #4 cylinder?
      I didn't actually

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Limerick View Post
        A bit of an update on this. Took if for a spin tonight . First proper one since I came off. As I had the to fix the crank case.
        Was going to scrub it in on the m50 when the traffic died down. But the bike is now running on 3 cylinders .
        It appears that the cylinder 4. (I think, right side/braking side, the side I fell off) is not firing.

I'm thinking its a fueling issue relating to the carbs when I fell off. I haven't looked at them yet.
        What exactly should I be looking for, when I do get a chance to look at it.
        Might be down to something else you did during the repair ?

Mightnt actually have anything to do with the fall or repair either - I'd go back to basics: try to isolate whether it's spark or fuel, and then work through the usual trial/error process of elimination from there.

Comment

Checked the leads by having the spark plug arc to the side of the frame. And also giving myself a bit of a shock.

Judging by the bandit page on Facebook. 9 outta 10 times issues are carb related.

Comment

If it's carb related, I'd say the main suspect could be dirt or sediment from the fuel tank or bottom of the float bowl having been displaced by the bang of the fall. Probably time to take the carb(s) off and check out the inlet valve and the jets for dirt and other crap in there.

Before that, Id try the old trick of giving the suspect carb a good sharp tap with the handle of a screwdriver to see if it dislodges anything.

Comment

Yap its looking I'm going to have to take it apart.
              But first I'll try the screwdriver trick.

Comment

Yikes 😄
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Close enough 😄
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Haha. Nice

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Limerick View Post
                      Yap its looking I'm going to have to take it apart.
                      But first I'll try the screwdriver trick.

No joy with the screwdriver

Comment

You could always drop it on t'other side.......

Comment

Originally posted by pedrosixfour View Post
                          You could always drop it on t'other side.......

Properly. laughed at that haha.

Comment

Just for the hell of it - before you pull the carbs, could you try swapping the adjacent plugs and leads, see if the problem shifts ?

Wouldn't be entirely unknown for there to be a dodgy or damaged plug-cap or plug which gives a spark outside the cylinder, but doesn't give you the proper voltage kick to fire the mix when it should.

Comment

I put in a new plug as a test already. Still didn't fire up cylinder 4.
                              Can you swap the leads between cylinders actually?

Comment

Depends on the firing order, and whether it's a wasted spark type arrangement. Try it - nothing to lose.

If it doesnt start/struggles to start on two cylinders, then you'll know you can't swap leads. If it runs on three then you'll be able to figure out if it's the spark or fuelling depending on which cylinder doesn't fire. If in the admittedly unlikely event that it runs on 4 - dont ask too many questions and just take it as a win

edit: sorry, just remembered it's a 4 cylinder machine. If there's 2 coils, you'll have to swop both pairs of coils and leads around - if the leads are long enough to let you so that.
                                Last edited by -alan-; 16-10-2021, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X