Header

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you do to your MotorBike today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD being pigheaded and resistant to change??

Never!!
    Last edited by pedrosixfour; 22-05-2023, 06:19 PM.

Comment

• I bought a new BMW K1600 GT SE!

Comment

• Originally posted by DeusExMachina View Post
        I bought a new BMW K1600 GT SE!
        Oh WOW - congrats imposing looking bike (I had to google it to see what it was though) post some pics when you get time.

Comment

• Once I collect it I'll try and post up some pictures!

Comment

• Some machine, super smooth and pulls like a train, my friend has one few years old and he swear he will never sell it. Congrats !
            Any car that merely takes you from A-B does not go far enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeusExMachina View Post
              I bought a new BMW K1600 GT SE!
              Nice, met a lad right after buying the older one (12/1300) on the Tarbert ferry one day while out on my old Ninja 650. Huge bike but looks super comfy.

Comment

• Had a play with the configurator on the BMW website.

Managed to spec (and not in a good way) a new GT SE up to, near as dammit, €36k.

Gis a go Deus

Comment

• Originally posted by pedrosixfour View Post
                  Had a play with the configurator on the BMW website.

Managed to spec (and not in a good way) a new GT SE up to, near as dammit, €36k.

Gis a go Deus
                  yeah fully loaded they are up there on price alright! Mine was not quite up there but not far off.......πŸ˜€
                  πŸ˜€

​​​​​​once I have it I will put up some beauty shots.

Comment

• Originally posted by -alan- View Post
                    ^ N0 - still on the trusty Michelin Pilots on the sports bike here Mike, never tried the Bridgestones yet.

Fitted the T-bars onto the big scooter today. Still a ton of work still to do on the wiring side, but slowly getting there:

5AfRN5jl.jpg
                    Savage fxr alan😎😎😎😎😎

Comment

• Thanks David. Think in all honesty I still prefer the looks of that blue one you had all the same

Took it up round the Slane-Kells-Ardee loop there - about 100 odd miles all-told - first long run, to see if everything was bolted back together properly, and running right. (Had thought it'd be better to stick to 50-55mph ish for a while to be on the safe side, but old habits die hard, especially on dry empty roads on a day like today. Y'know yourself.)

With the front brakes properly flushed and sorted, and giving enough feel to allow you to trail a wee bit of brake on the way in, the big scooter turns and corners far better than it has any right to. The weight coupled to the general proportions and steering geometry of the beast mean it's never going to steer on thought alone like the 675 seems to, but it turns well when you push the tiller and bank it in, and holds a really steady line all the way through. The weight helps, as it shrugs off bumps and ripples mid-corner without so much as a blink of that big heavy lidded eye up front - all things which would have the Triumph getting skittish. You can feel or perhaps more accurately, sense the disturbances below, but much like another stubborn Iron maiden of note - the Lady ain't for turning.

g0Thdvxh.jpg

Coming back down the big N roads on the way home, a couple of times passing the ubiquitous King of the Road Audi types I felt that the bike didn't quite seem to have the shove I'd thought it should. Turns out having got used to the quick-throttle on the Triumph, I'd forgotten not all bikes come equipped with them.. Grabbing a second handful and using the additional 60 degrees or so of throttle had the big girl picking up her skirts and moving along properly. ffs Alan..

Sitting down afterwards with a mug of tea out the back in the sun reflecting, I think the priority list needs changed round a bit now*

(i) The proper fitment 1" longer back shocks are needed sooner rather than later.

- As mentioned above, I tend to trail the front brake a little into the faster corners - I find it a lot smoother and more natural to approach bends carrying a wee bit of excess speed and then trim it back as you go in depending on the radius of the bend. The problem with this on the FXR as-is currently is that braking brings the front end down, and eats up a little more of the already scarce ground-clearance. When the bottom of the exhaust bracket on the right grounded out in the middle of a reasonably fast big sweeper with a big 'Screeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz' for the first time, I nearly dropped the bl**dy thing in shock. I need the back-end raised to where it should be, which'll also have the added bonus of tightening the rake and trail back to where it's supposed to be for one of the 'sportier' versions of the FXR.

(ii) The exhaust.

- The pipes on it are straight thru, all the way from exhaust valves to the end of the pipe. Not a smidgen of baffle, wadding, internal plates inside anywhere - nothing. They are ridiculously loud, sound like a bear with a sore ass growling when you're rumbling through town, and something a bit more like a Messcherschmitt roaring past at full deep bass rich open-pipe chat when it's properly up to speed. These I could probably live with (just) - but the downside is with the crappy pipe dynamics, there's a dirty great flat-spot in the torque curve. I want the torque back. Not great having a bike designed for pure grunt and torque, with a definite chunk of it gone awol in the middle. Replacement baffles have been sourced off eBay and are en-route as we speak.

Must say, it's good fun having a bike again that you can tinker at, sorting things out as you go along, and still being able to get the fun out riding the thing in-between times. And I think I'm really starting to get very fond of the big thing. Will keep yous posted.

*edit
                      (as well as sorting the yellow plate that is..of which more anon..)
                      Last edited by -alan-; 27-05-2023, 09:36 PM.

Comment

• I was riding a 2018 BMW GS1200 adventure recently and what a scary bike it is. Way to tall for me and god forbid if that enormous fuel tank was full as it would make it even more precariously top heavy. Who in their right mind would take one of those monsters off road because you would need the assistance of at least three people to lift it if it went over. I know you can get slimmer saddles to make the ride height more manageable but I doubt this would improve the situation much.

Id still like to get a proper touring bike though and experience that BMW boxer engine. So I was thinking about the BMW R 1250 RS. It seems to offer much the same as the GS monster but is a bit more manageable for day to day non off road riding.

Comment

• Hope everyone enjoyed the sunny Bank Holiday on the bike. I've done a lot of miles but was torn between riding in beautiful weather or enjoying the sun in my shorts.

Any car that merely takes you from A-B does not go far enough.

Comment

• Yeah, ended up at a rally in Nurney, Kildare Saturday night.

20230603_213718.jpg

20230603_194427.jpg

It wasn't the longest of spins for me, so I ended up taking the Raider up to the Great South Wall in Dublin's dock lands for a cup of coffee and a chat (about sharks) to Mr. Dobbs.

20230605_185051.jpg

Comment

• Raider looks well there Pedro. The blacked out look makes it pretty damn mean looking - cool machine.

The exhaust on the Softtail ... whale-oil befukt

(The tax disk in front of the plate looks 'novel' as well)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike205 View Post
                                Hope everyone enjoyed the sunny Bank Holiday on the bike. I've done a lot of miles but was torn between riding in beautiful weather or enjoying the sun in my shorts.
                                I brought my AT up to Rory Gallagher festival in Ballyshannon. Unfortunely, the AT let me down of a spin across the Glengesh Pass. Was running perfectly, turned it off for two minutes and nothing when I went to restart her. No lights on the dash. Assume it is a fault with the main relay or the ignition but I wasn't able to get it going at the side of the road so the AA membership came in handy.

I was thinking of buying a more modern ADV bike but none of them really appeal to me in the way they old XRV does so I think it's time to spend a bit of money on the old girl.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X