Triumph Motorbikes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triumph Motorbikes.

I always had a hankering for a new Triumph bike and will have to make a decision before Brexit takes effect and they might end up more expensive than they are now. What's the word from the biking community on the latest Triumphs? I like the old style traditional looking motorbike. Its so rare to see any modern Triumphs on the roads that it has me a bit worried about them even though they look a million dollars.

I am particularly fond of this one.

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/...onneville-t120

They're lovely aren't they.

Pricey though. When 2 grand buys you a mint low mileage bandit.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfaguy View Post
      I always had a hankering for a new Triumph bike and will have to make a decision before Brexit takes effect and they might end up more expensive than they are now. What's the word from the biking community on the latest Triumphs? I like the old style traditional looking motorbike. Its so rare to see any modern Triumphs on the roads that it has me a bit worried about them even though they look a million dollars.

I am particularly fond of this one.

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/...onneville-t120
      Decent enough bikes if you like the retro style thang. In terms of functionality, the engines and frames fall some way behind modern stiff-framed jap sports bikes, but the kind of folk who like like Harleys/Triumph and the like tend to have different priorities.

I can see the appeal, but never yet felt compelled to spend the bucks on one, as for the money, there is an absolute wealth of machines out there which are more interesting technically, and/or dynamically. For the kind of money involved you could have a decent R6, R1, any God's amount of Ducatis, an older big twin Harley or late model Sportster, or a good example of just about any current Jap inline 4. All of which would out handle and outrun your average Triumph, and most of which feature better design and/or interesting heritage - all imho of course

Comment

Link to review added for later reading.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/triumph-t12...torcycle-test/

Last edited by Alfaguy; 15-04-2017, 04:02 AM.

Comment

My father has one , a 2010 bonneville if you would like to have a look/chat about it.

Comment

Originally posted by -alan- View Post
            Decent enough bikes if you like the retro style thang. In terms of functionality, the engines and frames fall some way behind modern stiff-framed jap sports bikes, but the kind of folk who like like Harleys/Triumph and the like tend to have different priorities....

Two years ago all lineup has been upgraded and it's a blast now. More power and more torque across all the range including Bonneville and new Street Twin which my buddy just collected last month. He is delighted. Triumph is doing a great job. The fact you can buy in PCP and change for new model every 3 years it's also very tempting.
            Any car that merely takes you from A-B does not go far enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike205 View Post
              Two years ago all lineup has been upgraded and it's a blast now. More power and more torque across all the range including Bonneville and new Street Twin which my buddy just collected last month. He is delighted. Triumph is doing a great job.
              I still can't get my head round why they stuck with a 360 degree crank on a large capacity twin like that. My old Cb450 has a 180 crank with the pistons going up and down out of phase to reduce the vibes - on a bike that's half the capacity. And that's a 50 year old design

Comment

I bought a Triumph 1200 Explore last year, a 2012 model...and I simply cannot fault it...easy to ride, smooth power, great handling and as I'mentioned over six ft tall it suitseems me because the bike is quite big....just my 2 cents worth...and I am looking forward to the summer rideouts...
                Need a scanner please visit www.scanners.ie

Comment

I bought a Triumph 1200 Explorer last year, a 2012 model...and I simply cannot fault it...easy to ride, smooth power, great handling and as I'm over six ft tall it suits me because the bike is quite big....just my 2 cents worth...and I am looking forward to the summer rideouts...actually I forgot to mention the build quality which is superb and all cables etc are hidden very neatly...
                  Last edited by hubahuba; 15-04-2017, 06:02 PM.
                  Need a scanner please visit www.scanners.ie

Comment

Originally posted by Mike205 View Post
                    The fact you can buy in PCP and change for new model every 3 years it's also very tempting.
                    That's interesting alright. Never thought that would be an option for bikes.

Do any other manufacturers do that I wonder?

Comment

BMW have led the field in PCP financing and I'd imagine a high proportion of 14/15/16 reg bikes have been financed this way.
                      Ducati and Yamaha also do PCP and no doubt some of the others as well.

Comment

Go out and have a chat with the Harley/Triunph/Ducati dealer on the Naas road - I think you can just about cut a deal on the never-never for almost any of the big brands these days.

Still kind of mad though. It's just like the 'fun' car market - buy and sell wisely at the right times of year and you can get some seriously low cost biking on rather decent machinery.

Comment

My dad had an original Bonnerville and my son had the modern recreation. The modern version was a lovely bike (now I'm not an expert) but the looks, sounds and riding position was lovely, both of us small guys. Not super fast, or 'racing' stance, but a lovely recreation. He added a lovely sounding after market exhaust and some extra stuff. He sold it and regrets it to this day!

Comment

The Triumph Scrambler is on my shopping list for this year, may even go for a new one as it would seem to be a step up from the last version according to this review.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2017-trium...crambler-to-be

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Comment

I'm beginning to sound like a stuck record here with my price-taggery but .... what's with the price tag? Yes it's lovely and all but... a "scrambler" for 15 grand? It's nuts.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X