Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VAT on a Classic Import

Hi there,

I have jumped through most of the hoops necesssary to allow me to drive a car UK reg car that was abandoned in the Republic of Ireland nearly 15 years ago. I have already got the V5C through the DVLA. It is currently registered at my mothers house in Northern Ireland (needed to use this address to get V5C). It is a 1992 reg and I plan on paying the €200 classic VRT in a few days time and then registering it at my address in Dublin.

I am wondering what is the story with the VAT / Customs Duty? Because the car was abandoned, I did not pay anything for it. It is also a rare car, with only 3-4 on Done Deal (different specs to mine), so if the VAT is based on the OMSP which is determined by Revenue, how do they calculate it? If they come up with an OMSP based on the ones on Done Deal, is there anything I can do as mine is a project car that does not drive, whilest the ones on Done Deal are clearly in roadworthy condition and have had a lot of money spent on them, hence the high asking prices.

It has been reccommended to me to contact a shipping company and get them to write a receipt but that sounds a bit strange to me.

As I previously mentioned, this is a project car and eventually when I get it fixed, is going to be a weekend car doing less than 5,000km per year, so is the VAT even applicable to this? Or should I just forget about it?

I understand this is quite a unique situation, but any help / input is grately appreciated.

Thanks.

If it was registered to the NI address prior to Jan 2021 there is zero VAT or Duty implication.

Comment

And if they accept it was abandoned here 15 years ago then it was on the country before 31 December 2020 so there no vat is due

Comment

Originally posted by kdevitt View Post
        If it was registered to the NI address prior to Jan 2021 there is zero VAT or Duty implication.
        Unfortunately it was only registered to NI address in October of 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
          And if they accept it was abandoned here 15 years ago then it was on the country before 31 December 2020 so there no vat is due
          Thanks, hopefully they will accept it.

Also, who exactly do I go to? Is there a phone number or is it just through the Revenue website?

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie123 View Post

Unfortunately it was only registered to NI address in October of 2021.
            Ugh I think this is a bit convoluted - you would have just needed to prove the car was in Ireland prior to Jan 2021 had you not registered it in NI.

Now you've registered a UK car in NI - so I'd imagine it is liable for VAT (but not duty as its over 30 years of age). The car being abandoned in Ireland for 15 years probably means nothing - as you're only the new owner from now going forwards.

Revenue has a schedule of calculation in place where the car was not bought at the open market price - it could end up costing you very little, or way more than you want. Contact a broker and get them to sort it - www.bell.ie were useful to talk to previously for me.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
            Working...
            X