Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new E30

How's it going all,
    Just picked up a 1990 E30 318i. Ideally I was after an "is" or a 325i but after looking at a few that were absolutely wrecked, this popped up, and given how clean it was I couldn't pass it up! Running and driving, albeit a bit lumpy from being in storage for the last 12+ years.
    Few minor issues to sort out, any tips are welcome.
    1) the heater doesn't work, on any speed.
    2) the rear passenger side lights are a bit hit and miss with what works and what doesn't
    3) front fogs don't work and no light comes on the dash
    4) full service, timing belt kit, fix the exhaust leak and some new wheels & tires

Here's a photo!

Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice - congrats. I spent most of the 80's hankering for a 3 series BMW but could not afford one. First the E21 and then when I got used to the styling the E30. It was 1998 before I got to itch that scratch with a new BMW 318iS E36 coupe but I did manage to get a nice 325i E30 back early in 2015 which I still have.

First pics of it on my thread don't appear until post no 110.

Cars from a time when batteries were just for starting

Comment

I had a car that the cable coming from the heater matrix was stuck at a valve in the engine bay. Maybe that could be the heater issue. Or the heater core is completely blocked?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Limerick View Post
          I had a car that the cable coming from the heater matrix was stuck at a valve in the engine bay. Maybe that could be the heater issue. Or the heater core is completely blocked?
          Sorry I should have phrased it better, the blower itself isn't working. I'll check the resister pack and see if that's in need of replacing/cleaning.
          Making good progress with the small issues, got all the lights working in the front, just blown bulbs & missing fuses.
          The rear lights, again a few bulbs blown but one side had some connection issues, striped it down and cleaned it up, working lights all round now 👌
          Few more photos, apologies for the poor quality! Interior is incredibly clean, one small crack in the dash and that's it! Mirrors, windows etc all working perfectly, also original radio?

Comment

Gave it a proper wash today and it cleaned up beautifully! Found the blower motor is completely seized so that'll need replacing. Apart from the horn not working that'll be all the issues sorted, and just onto giving the engine a full service then!

Comment

Great purchase! Great to see more and more e30s being brought back on the road! Gives me more motivation to do something with one of mine! Plenty e30 owners on here for help with any issues you have. I've had maybe 15 e30s over the years and are probably my favorite cars ever!

Comment

Ha that's gas, it's like a twin of my 91 318!
                Same as you, I was after one of the more sporting variants, but they were all wrecked or over priced.
                www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

Nice one laaaaad.

It looks like a nice clean example. Finding any spec of a 2 door that's actually drivable is a sizeable challenge these days.
                  Current Bad Ideas:
                  Daily - 1998 Pajero Evolution
                  Project - 1990 BMW e30 1JZ
                  Previous "Better" Ideas: 2 x Stage III Audi B5 S4, e30 m3, e34 m5, Inca Orange 2002Tii, '89 325iS, '89 318i, '90 318iS, '91 318iS, 2 X '87 316, '89 320i, '81 e21 316

Comment

Originally posted by Smythy411 View Post
                    Great purchase! Great to see more and more e30s being brought back on the road! Gives me more motivation to do something with one of mine! Plenty e30 owners on here for help with any issues you have. I've had maybe 15 e30s over the years and are probably my favorite cars ever!
                    Cheers! Yeah I'm buzzing to get it on the road asap!
                    Originally posted by Tristan View Post
                    Ha that's gas, it's like a twin of my 91 318!
                    Same as you, I was after one of the more sporting variants, but they were all wrecked or over priced.
                    Yeah I looked at a couple that were absolutely wrecked, got lucky with this one though!
                    Originally posted by e30mclow View Post
                    Nice one laaaaad.

It looks like a nice clean example. Finding any spec of a 2 door that's actually drivable is a sizeable challenge these days.
                    Cheers, yeah it's really clean spent a long time in storage! The underneath still has the original paint, no undersealer plastered over everything!

Got very lucky with this, was watching donedeal like a hawk, and within a few hours of the ad going up, I was viewing it!
                    Once I've the few bits sorted and the engine all running sweet, might look at a few bits like 3 spoke steering wheel, sport seats maybe although the price of these bits is insane!

Comment

Well, bit of an update.
                      Ordered parts over the last few weeks, got an SE steering wheel, full service kit, new heater motor and new clutch reservoir.
                      Messed about with the steering wheel this evening but need to figure out spacers and how to get the horn working. As using the existing spacer the wheel doesn't sit on the splines fully, but without it, it binds up.
                      Got stuff for a full service including timing belt, but the waterpump didn't arrive in time so that will have to wait.
                      Also the rear tyres are completely perished, but I wouldn't mind changing the wheels so holding off on tyres till I decide.
                      I'll crack on at it over the weekend and see how we get on

Comment

that's a great find, looks very clean outside and in. that's another e30 thread to follow

Comment

Originally posted by DadsMorrisMinor View Post
                          that's a great find, looks very clean outside and in. that's another e30 thread to follow
                          Cheers mate! Yeah it seems fairly decent.
                          Replaced the heater motor this evening...and it only worked on the highest setting... So after a bitta research theres a resistor pack that can cause issues, so out the with glovebox, took it out, cleaned and refitted and now the heater works on all settings, success!

However...there is an absolute rats nest of wiring and some mysterious black box with very few markings on it in there 🤔

Also replaced the plugs and air filter, and fitted the steering wheel, but I need to modify the horn ring to hopefully get it working.

Took it for a quick spin down the road.... And it was...entertaining 😂 Runs fairly well, it's quite slow but feels fast, but handled absolutely horrendous. I'm sure some of it is down to the old perished tyres, probably at various pressures, and some tired suspension.

Comment

Well, not much updates recently.
                            Got the new steering wheel fitted, discovered the horn was faulty so replaced that and now everything works as should!

Spent today removing the exhaust to patch up a few holes before the nct. Certainly wasn't pretty but I think it's sealed up now.

All that is left for the moment is find some new wheels, which is proving difficult. That will be all the essential stuff sorted, then I think I'll lower it a bit, maybe fit a rear anti roller bar and upgrade some of the bushings to give a better ride.

Comment

Not a lot of updates recently as I've been away.
                              Picked up a set of 16x7.5 borbet b alloys which has transformed the look of the car imo.
                              It needs lowering now but it's getting there.
                              However it's still awful to drive, just a little bit better. Tends to wander around the road quite alot.
                              Also got some new floor mats from micksgarage.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X