American classics info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American classics info

I'm looking for some information on a couple of American classics.

77 corvette c3 (v8)

68 mustang coupe (6 cylinder)

Does anyone know where I'd find good information apart from YouTube videos.

Is there any American classic group's here in Ireland/ on Facebook etc?

Not everyone's cup of tea and I know very little about both but I love the look of them.

C3 Corvette Stingray - Backroads Forums

The Road - to HELL - Backroads Forums

Pontiac "Bullnose" Trans Am 455 - Backroads Forums

Some members there with extensive knowledge i'd say, not forgetting DaveD_XB
    ElDel, “I ask this purely out curiosity DMZ, but did your lack of interest in the generic come from your ownership experience of the Golf R?”

Comment

You don't really say what info you're after... the most active American car club in Ireland is probably, the Midland American guys:

https://www.maac-ireland.com/

I like C3 Corvettes & have come close to buying some from time to time but never ended up pulling the trigger, but personally I'd go a 68'Mustang over a C3... but not a 6... If you're going to have a muscle car have a muscle car & get a V8... if the 6 pot Mustang was cheap... great, buy it & then swap in a 390ci V8... simples.

If you have any specific questions, ask away... there are many on here who can help.

Speed is just a question of money, how fast do you want to go

Comment

Thanks guys.

I don't know a whole lot about either car to be honest.im normally into jap imports.
        With the way prices have gone there seems to be better value in American classics (I could be looking at the wrong models/specs)

I've seen a nice example of a c3 corvette with side exit exhausts. Looks to have been looked after but needs a small bit of tidying. Windscreen is chipped,interior door handle missing, seats need retrimmed. Couple of small spider Web marks on body panels
        (no idea what underneath,birdcage etc is like until I view it)
        Are parts easily available here? Like windscreens etc
        it's advertised just under €12000

The 68 mustang that caught my eye needs some body work and is 6 cylinder.
        It's priced at €13000 ,I'm assuming because it's not a v8?

I know very little about both cars,so I was looking for as much general information as possible before I go looking at cars.i don't want to be wasting any sellers time if there is any major red flags I'm missing

To be honest,I'm leaning more towards the corvette but I'm not ruling the mustang out either

Comment

Seems to be better value in corvettes at the moment. Parts for both are easy to source and a lot cheaper than most even after paying the duty and shipping. RockAuto and Summit carry the majority of parts.

Comment

There pretty much isn't a part you can't get for these cars now, Rockauto & Summit are great & I love YearOne for the larger body panel bits etc.

How handy are you on the tools? A lot of time people let all of the perishable suspension parts go on old Muscle cars & I'd be checking all of the boots & rubbers under both cars as they will probably all need replacing.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone... rust is like an iceberg, buy the best body you can find. I'd rather buy a complete non-runner that had a great body than a driving car with rust, fixing mechanical things is very easy.. rust repair takes more effort (ask me how I know). So make sure you get a good look under both cars, in the boot corners of both cars & at the birdcage on the Vette.. doubly so if the cars have spent any time in the UK (spoiler alert most have)... the salt really :D:D:D:Ds them.

Like I said above both are great cars, but the Vette will be a different car to live with as it's a 2 seater with little to no luggage space... might not be an issue but the Stang would be more practical if that's important to you?

When going to look at them INSIST that they are cold.. you want to see them start cold, a warmed up Muscle car will start first turn of the key & idle beautifully.. a poorly tuned one will be a complete :D:D:D:D:D:D:D to start cold & may need you sitting in the car for 2 minutes holding the throttle regardless of if the car has a working choke or not. Also it will give you a good chance to see any blowby from the rings on cold start.

Lastly do you have somewhere to keep one? I don't know of anyone who owns a Muscle car in Ireland that keeps it parked on the street on in the driveway... you can "borrow" either with a small flat head screwdriver & very little effort compared to a modern car & they tend to stick out & attract attention so your neighbours will know you have one. Back when I was living in Dublin with the Dodge, I had people follow me home as they wanted to look at the car... that was a little unsettling.

Also they weren't built to last, very little rust protection went into the building of them.. don't forget Ford wanted you to sell that 68 Mustang in 69 & buy the new one... they didn't build them with 50 years of road use in mind... so if they are in good condition now, you'd want to be keeping them indoors thru the Irish winter.. when they are kept outdoors they can go south quickly.

Now please don't take any of the above as a don't buy one message... I own several & I love them all... a Vette with sidepipes is going to sound & look awesome! everyone should own a stupid big V8 once before they ban them & fun in general.
            Last edited by DaveD_XB; 11-10-2021, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks very much for your input dave.
              there is a couple of factors that I hadn't allowed for.
              One being the "extra" unwanted attention ,its not putting me off.but I'm going to delay the purchase for now and do a little bit more looking around and get some stuff sorted my end.

I've had a jdm 1uz soarer and loved the noise,but american v8's are on another level in my opinion.

Thanks for the other tips and recommendations also,I normally try and view a car from cold but I now see its extra important with these.

posts are normally better with pictures, here's the two cars I was looking at. There not in uk,but that doesn't mean that they weren't at some stage of there lives.

Thanks again for your help and hopefully I'll be in an American motor in the near future👍

Screenshot_20211011-101426_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20211011-101450_Instagram.jpg

Comment

if you're thinking of buying a 6 cylinder and putting a V8 into it beware the brakes are pretty tiny on the sixes. A friend and myself went to the states back in the day as he wanted to buy one, budget would only stretch to a clean 6 or a rough 8, talked to some dealers and they all said that it costs way more to bring a 6 up to 8 spec than to just buy a v8 in the first place. that was 15 years ago now so I don't know how values might have changed that dynamic since.

Also these are pretty rudimentary cars. we were shocked by how bad they were to drive, foolishly thinking that american cars of the sixties were so much better than european stuff. to look at definitely but man those six cylinder mustangs were slow and hard work to drive.

Comment

Not always the case JohnBoy... you are right a lot of US cars did have 6 & 8 cylinder brake options. For '64.5/ '65 & '66 Mustangs you'd be right they had a specific 4 lug spindle & brake option for the 6 cylinder cars & a larger 5 lug spindle & brakes for the V8... so it's supper simple to tell just by counting the wheel nuts.

I had a 67 GTA Mustang years back that I'd bought for my practice wife & it was a V8 car being a GT but the original owner ordered it with drums all around (back then it was a common pub argument if these new fancy disk things would be any good for stopping a big car). This was because in 67 Ford used the exact same spindles (C6OA) for all of the brake options across all of the engine options.

Then 1968 was the first year that Ford brought in separate spindles for disk brakes vs drums so you would have C8OA spindles if you forked out the cash for disks or you'd have the same C6OA spindles for drums that you had had on a 67.. but having owned & driven a 67'GTA with the high output 289ci on those C6OA spindled drum brakes... it's doable but never & I mean never do a track day or a spirited drive down a long winding road.

I had been researching & planning a brake upgrade for the 67 GTA back in the day but decided to just upgrade the wife instead..... I know threads are better with pics.. so here is said 67 GTA next to my XB

IMG_0420.jpg
                  Are here you can see how this drum all around car had the 5 lug wheels as Ford had stopped with the 6 & V8 brake options by them on the Mustang

IMG_0205.jpg

It was a really nice one owner CA car that... miss it.

Comment

Practice wife

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBoy View Post
                      Practice wife
                      Yes.. even my current wife likes that one.... she's not so keen on the phrase "current" wife mind you....

Comment

My tuppence worth (and the username should give you a hint that I do like a bit of a big-cc rumble)

First, you have to understand these are really classic cars. They will NOT drive like a mid 90s JDM Soarer. These are 50 year old plus designs (which look great) but also 50 year old engineering.

My Trans Am will keep up with modern traffic - but it will not brake as fast or hard, nor will it corner as comfortably. It takes a different style of driving - more anticipation, more flow, more concentration.

My advice would be to try to get a good drive and be objective about how you want to use these cars. I'm currently still trying to decide if I'd rather leave mine original, or start the resto-mod process with new brakes, suspension, wheels and tyres.

Or...

I've also had hot-rods and kit cars with American V8's, and some of those are well worth considering. My Cobra had a 5.7 Chevy and huge side pipes, but as it was built in the 90's it was way more drivable - I did many track days in it before going lightweight and Lotus. I also had a Ford Popular with a 7.5 Ford from a police interceptor teamed with the brakes of a Vauxhall Viva, which was incredibly dangerous.

Comment

Working...
                        X