Smokeys Diamond Schwartz e34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The progress on this has been abysmal.

I bought a brand new wiper linkage from NL and it turns out they sent me a LHD one despite it being listed as right hand drive.

I in the meantime bought another car to harvest the wiper linkage off. This was also semi fcked and when built back up with new bushings the threads on the outside were also fcked. I gave up on that for the moment. Im afraid to add up what this wiper linkage debacle has cost me.

Ordered some new springs because the lowering springs on it were a bit high at the front. They still look longer than the cut springs which I was using to lower it as a driveway ornament. These were cheap so no biggie if they dont work out.

To add to the flurry of wrong parts I also ordered some new top mounts. I ordered the wrong size for the shocks. At this point its just easier to bore them out. Both the new top mounts and the wiper linkage are at my friends workshop where he will do his fitter/Turner magic and make my parts useable again.

Also in the box above are some new pads and brake hoses for the e38 brembos which are on the shelf not pictured are the new E38 discs which hopefully should all bolt up with an adaptor bracket I picked up off e28goodies.com.

The plan is to get it rolling soon and to trailer it from my parents garage to my own place where I can tip away in the evenings with a donor car outside the door for any spare bits. I will have no excuse for poor progress then only my own laziness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by philb; 17-07-2021, 09:12 AM.
    Poor punctuation and spelling via iPhone keyboard & odd words here and there via autocorrect

Comment

Great thread SB, you're too hard on yourself.
      2005 Alfa 166 2.0TS Grigio Geo - Daily Driver
      2001 Alfa 166 3.0 Proteo Rosso - The Beast - resting for now
      2000 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Auto Verde Argo - the Baby
      1999 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Grigio Nettuno - Track Car
      1984 Alfasud 1.5 Gold Cloverleaf Florentine Copper - the other Baby

Comment

Thanks Roarsbaby[emoji1417]

Couldnt find the right bolt for the wiper motor linkage or even a washer. Im sure Ill have one on the spares car but for now Ill have to make do. The joys of putting things back together months after taking them apart.

The wiper motor linkage is fitted now along with the heater box and heater motor. Baby steps.

The drivers side strut is now assembled, should be a quick job to do the passo side the next night.

That means I can start tightening up all the new suspension arms and fit up the e38 brembos. Got these adaptors from e28goodies.com, really delighted they included bolts because travelling to get high tensile bolts within my 5km would be impossible.

As soon as I get these bits all done the engine can go in. Thatll be a big milestone!

Last edited by philb; 17-07-2021, 09:13 AM.
        Poor punctuation and spelling via iPhone keyboard & odd words here and there via autocorrect

Comment

Smokeys Diamond Schwartz e34

E38 brembos are fitted and bled

The paint work on them is fairly poor but Ill sort that down the line, once they work for now my short term goal is to just drive the thing.

The wheels dont fit, need a spacer to clear the shock and the caliper

They are a properly beefy caliper, while the size of the disc hasnt really changed what I have gained is vented discs. The originals were solid discs and while it was the shortest stopping distance of saloons when it was made the brakes could be overheated very easily.

Again ignore the arches which have lots of crud in there. I plan to do a nice underside cleanup when I have a ramp sorted for my shed. The ground is where projects go to stay as projects forever.

Naturally the most intelligent thing was to send them off to be ceramic coated

If youre in Cork / Limerick / Tipp this man from mitchelstown is gifted with polish and a micro fibre cloth.

Im really hoping that one more night of work will get the car on its wheels and moved around in the garage so the engine can be dropped in. Feels very close to getting the thing moving!

Last edited by philb; 17-07-2021, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Only stumbled across this thread now and just read it start to finish. Some serious work and it will be a stunning car when finished. I love the AC type 1's. They look unreal on e34's. Here's a pic of my E34 with a set from a previous owner before me. Unfortunately they didn't come with the car when I bought it, they were changed for a dodgy pair of contours.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Comment

Cant wait to see this car sitting on them wheel! Miss my e34 and just last night I tried to buy an engineless 520i Touring in cork sold too quick

Comment

Your probably better off Alan mpars will be easier to keep.

The tourings do look much better!

I made a stab at putting the enGine in tonight.

Took it off the axle stands and put it on some dollys, thatll make it easier to move around.

New engine mounts

Had to leave these loose because I dont know which way is aligned with the subframe and even if they are upside down. Ill figure that out when the engine goes in

Thats going to smoke when it starts, plenty of schmoo in there.

The gap above is for the DISA valve. A sort of variable length intake manifold thingy that likes to disassemble itself and insert its metallic bits in the cylinders. I got a new one, it was spurious, it didnt fit that well. I greased it up and bate it in with my mallet.

Next I started on the gearbox. Theres this little plastic pin that the slave cylinder pivots on.

Usually ered on all second hand gearboxes. I didnt know which one it was so I bought both types

Old one on the bottom. FUBAR. These are actually available in steel or aluminium but I was worried that they would wear through the clutch fork so plastic it is.

Got as far as putting the flywheel on, couldnt find bolts to hold on the pressure plate so had to call it a night.

Found a few snags tonight that I need to get sorted though.

Need to find the e34 dipstick I had which could be absolutely anywhere now.
                Theres a power steering hose missing, need to order that up.
                I also need to figure out the fuel lines, doesnt look like this engine has a return line.
                Coolant hoses need to be sorted too, seem to be missing one.

Hopefully my friend will have some bolts on an engine he has and I can proceed with getting the clutch fitted and the gearbox bolted up.

Last edited by philb; 17-07-2021, 09:14 AM.

Comment

A small update, one of defeat.

I spend some time one evening a couple of weeks ago picking through some bolts to find suitable ones for my flywheel.

Found some black m8s which looked like theyd do the trick. Black bolts are high tensile, right?

I started bolting up the pressure plate and aligning the clutch plate by eye. Had it just right and was getting all the bolts snug, unfortunately I had my headphones on and wasnt listening to the impact gun. So the head of the last bolt ended up on the end of the gun and the threaded section stuck in the flywheel. Tried to drill it out and the bit broke in the flywheel. .

My good friend Shane came to the rescue again, I had completely made of the hole and it was too close to the edge to redrill so we opted to drill and tap new holes for the pressure plate bolts and move the dowels also. He said he was waiting for another job to come in so he gave the flywheel a quick skim also to freshen up the face and remove some weight off the thing.

He said I got a special rate seeing as I tried it myself first.

So for anyone looking for their flywheel skimmed or any other general engineering services in Cork, Quinn Precision in Rochestown are worth a shout. He said its ballpark 50 for a flywheel skim.

Im happy anyway that I can continue on with getting on with putting the car back together. He threw in a few high tensile m8 socket heat bolts too which are whats supposed to be on the pressure plate so hopefully I wont manage to fcuk it up again.

Last edited by philb; 17-07-2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

]Thought I would have the engine in fairly quickly tonight however I had completely forgotten to fit the new crank case breather system which would have been next to impossible in the car.

Spent a couple of hours doing that, calling the shitty plastic all sorts of names.

Drank some tae with the oul lad then we spent 15 minutes dropping the engine in. Got home late and the dog who had been on his own for a few hours hadnt pissed in the house or ripped anything asunder, all round great day.

Bonus dog picture.

Last edited by philb; 17-07-2021, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Top notch thread! Sorry that your content seemed to get hidden in the migration, sorted now, enjoyed reading that
                      I've good memories of my friends e34 touring, magnificent cars. Probably of a higher quality than the e39 but fairly similar feeling on the road.

Comment

That’s no problem Phil, hope it wasn’t too much trouble to fix it!

Another small bit of progress has been made. I have tucked all of the wiring into the e34 plastic covers and put the ecu into the original location. Compared to an e36 it’s much easier to tidy up the wiring, it seems to fit better and there’s more space to tuck away the excess.

During all of this the car has been moved to a new home again. It’s done more mileage on the recovery truck this year than it’s done in the past 13 years under it’s own steam.

I have a short list of stuff left to go before I can fire it into life. It just needs a fuel supply, oil and a dipstick.

I will still need to put a prop shaft on it and an exhaust before I can move it though and I suspect I’ll have to get a custom exhaust made.

Comment

I was ordering some side skirts for my e36 project recently and had to have them put on a pallet from the breakers yard. I asked him what else he had of interest and found out he had an e34 with wood trim, something I’ve been looking to pick up for ages. It was a no brained adding the doorcards and dash panels to the order making use of the pallet.

Because I was afraid some bits were missing I said it takes precedent Over other jobs on the car so Os started to install the wood trim this evening.

Before shot:

During:

While this was happening I remembered the rear passenger door hadn’t worked in 13 years. It turned out to be a seized door handle. Fitted one off the parts car, great success.

One other job before the door cards go on is the drivers door check strap needs to be replaced.

Comment

Nice work, I'm fond of a bit of wood trim myself. I almost bought a genuine bmw wooden sports steering wheel last year, until the lads in work started taking the piss out of me, asking did it come with a captains hat.

I'm sorry I didn't buy it as I saw another e34 with one in the flesh and it looked unreal.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a wood Nardi which I’ll stick on it. That will do me. There’s a guy on Instagram doing wood gearknobs made from recycled skateboards so I’ll probably get a handbrake handle and gearknob from him to tie it all together.

I think the best thing to do is not talk about cars in work. You do you. I have a friend who has gone down an awful rabbit hole getting to the bottom of an issue with his car and he said it’s very awkward in work when having lunch with the quashquai brigade they can’t understand any spending outside of their monthly pcp payment.

Comment

I replaced the check strap with one from the spares car this evening, this was a barrier to getting the door cards on so was kind of important.

While trying to fit the doorcards a month ago I noticed the door pockets were missing along with almost half of the holders which hold the plastic clips which in turn attach the door card to the door.

Up until last week there was two replies from the vendor who told me he was too busy to deal with the problem. Not wanting to wait any longer I decided I would remove the parts from other cards. I was worried the bits would get damaged hanging around the garage.

The left behind glue is all that can be seen of the missing parts here.

I went about removing the bits I would need to make the new cards useable

The pockets were a fairly important piece seeing as they have 3 clips integrated into them.

They are glued to the cards using what looked like hot glue. They were fairly difficult to pry off so I’m not sure how the ham fisted breaker from the north managed to rip them off.

Seeing as the clips were held on with a hot glue gun it was a great excuse to buy new tools, it seemed logical that wurth or 3m would sell decent glue and their gun would be the best for applying it. Really happy with this piece of kit!

Here’s the passenger card repair completed.

Drivers door vapour barrier refitted.

Drivers door card fitted, I’m really happy with this, for years the clips had been broken in the old one.

The little sunglasses pocket wasn’t present when the interior arrived. A nice man on the e34 Facebook page was selling some bits in the UK, sold me the required missing pocket for my car.

Fitted, now just need to finish off the passenger side, the electric accelerator pedal also needs to be fitted but I’m just waiting on a bracket for that. The interior work which I used to hate is actually somewhat enjoyable this time around. It’s nice to see a visual improvement after doing a job I suppose.

A well deserved glass of wine 🤤

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 10-10-2021, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X