Smokeys Diamond Schwartz e34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokeys Diamond Schwartz e34

I have this thing an awful long time. It was my first car when I was 17. At 15 or 16 I used to read performance BMW and I saw a (thinking back now it was fairly horrible) murdered out e34 on AC Schnitzers. It was around then I decided I was going to save up and make an e34 my first car.

I unfortunately cant source pictures of when I got it. Maybe on an old computer if I come across them Ill post them later. My parents were over and back to the UK a bit with work so one trip I equipped them with all my savings and politely asked them to return home with a black e34 with a sunroof. It was a lovely standard car on 15 bbs with what I can only describe as the squidgy-est suspension ever fitted to a car.

Heres some pics from when the car last turned a wheel circa 2010.

I had just finished transplanting an m52 engine from a new shape 523i. It subsequently boiled its brains out and my interest diminished and the car lay around for a few years. This was maybe 2009 or 2010.

Roll forward to last year. I had been gather odds and ends for about 12 years for the car and last year I swapped some stuff for an M54B30 engine. Which is the 3.0 from a 2003ish E39.

I trailered it to the shed, put it on the ramp and begun to prep it for the new to me engine. Unfortunately as I raised the ramp the car didnt travel up at the same speed. On closer inspection the jacking points were all found to be completely ed. Bugger.

Luckily Im friends with a panel beater who isnt afraid of some rust. The jacking points all had to be cut out. It turns out the sunroof drain terminates within the sill as standard. The jacking points were an old design also where 3 skins meet and are joined facing vertically down. Its a terrible design and prone to damage when being jacked up. Thats another way of saying I was very careless with the jack when I was 17. Because of this flaw I asked him to put in jacking points from a modern BMW. He used e46 jacking points welded to some sturdy box iron. This really is strong as , I took the hammer to it to test it out and all I did was chip some paint.

When it was all buttoned up it looked like this.

I asked him to just make it strong and functional. I will be covering the sills with skirts anyway so no point wasting time on the appearance. The jacking pad from the newer car was fitted here also. Much better job.

While it was in with him and he was painting the sport kit I asked him to paint the engine bay. It was fairly tatty looking so this freshened it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by philb; 17-07-2021, 09:07 AM. Reason: fix up missing post..
    Poor punctuation and spelling via iPhone keyboard & odd words here and there via autocorrect

Love these cars �� subbed!
    2005 toyota sequoia, 1993 300d, 2009 prius, 1984 Volvo 242 turbo intercooler

Comment

Did my driving test in my dads 520i (91 D 812 if anyone ever comes across it let me know!). Even with the 24v engine it was pretty gutless, and it was a similar experience to driving around on suspension made of jelly. The extra oomph from the 2.5 and some proper suspension really make a difference.

Was really close to buying a 535i back in January - but the lads in the UK was a pain in the arse to deal with - was ready to book flights to fly over the following day to buy it and he couldn't spare any time to hand over the keys that day - or any day in the subsequent two weeks!

Good luck with the overhaul. I know a lad with a very tidy black leather sports interior who might be tempted to part with it by the way.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Funnily enough I also did my test in this car. The tester was a fan of the style 5’s.

I’ve started re-assembling the bits around the engine bay. Gave the ABS pump a bit of a clean up. Space is tight so have had to hang the freshly painted bumper from the rafters and the wings from the walls of the garage.

The pump got a lick of polish

A bit of difference. I probably could have done more.

Here is the engine which is going in, I put a new water pump and thermostat on it last year. It’s got Schmiedmann manifolds which are specifiec for m50 engines in RHD e34’s. It’s quite difficult to get stainless manifolds for these cars and luckily these ones aren’t silly money and also happen to fit the M54 engine.

I laid out all of the parts which need to be fitted in the immediate future last night just as a bit of motivation. It lifted my spirits a bit because this lockdown thing is starting to get to me. Working from home means there’s nearly no escape.

I’ve got:
        M20 flywheel (I’m not sure if it’s lightened)
        New LUK clutch
        All new front arms
        New tie rods
        New drop links
        New steering box arm (hopefully cures some slack in steering)
        New universal joint for the steering shaft
        New engine and gearbox mountings
        New Z3 shifter (genuine short shifter basically)
        Power flex shifter bushes
        E38 brembos and adaptor brackets (these could do with a refurb)
        Wooden Nardi (from UP Garage in Tokyo no less)
        OMP boss kit
        Alternator belt
        Clutch fork pivot pin (plastic serviceable part)
        Misc nuts and bushes to refurb the wiper linkage

I’m sure I could have laid them out better but whatever....

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 07-05-2020, 03:19 PM.
        Poor punctuation and spelling via iPhone keyboard & odd words here and there via autocorrect

Comment

Good luck with this one. E34s are great cars.
          Last edited by philb; 17-07-2021, 09:09 AM. Reason: restoring missing post..

Comment

Thanks Andy. Im looking forward to it!

Next on the list was removal of the wiper linkage to change the bushes. The spindles on the wiper linkage are notorious for wearing out in these cars and they can go off at an awful angle which causes the wiper arm to hit the bonnet. The sides of the bay are far too fresh to risk scratching now...

All protected so that a delicate procedure with a hammer can take place.

The nut for the centre spindle was heavily corroded. The grinder was the only option here and with a thin cutting disc it was poosible to cut enough of this to make it weak enough to hammer out.

With that done it was clear I could do nothing without removing then heater box cover and motor.

Yes that is the cabin filter. I was a silly silly fool at 17 years old. Maintenance regime was poor. Looking at this though I can only improve. In my defence I dont think I even knew what a cabin filter was....

Last bit which required some persuasion with the swing press.

Great the linkage is out and ready to be rebuild

This picture was supposed to show how off centre the spindle is. It looks fine now. I can assure though its ducked. The wiper is so bad has worn a hole in the arm off the bonnet due to misalignment.

FYI e34 owners these are the bushes required for the rebuild. A mere 30

Heat was required.

Brute force finished the job.

Unfortunately my wipers had been disconnected/removed for so long that they seized. A new linkage is like 500.... ordered a second hand one after breaking this but I have a strong feeling a LHD one is enroute and its going to be wrong.

Will update more soon hopefully [emoji1417]

Last edited by philb; 17-07-2021, 09:10 AM.

Comment

That's a great thread. Thanks for sharing

Comment

where did you purchase the bushes for the wiper linkage? the nut on mine is rusted the same way. Have a spare linkage that i will rebuild and swap out some day.

Comment

Thanks 993C4!

Originally posted by bmwe34 View Post
                  where did you purchase the bushes for the wiper linkage? the nut on mine is rusted the same way. Have a spare linkage that i will rebuild and swap out some day.
                  Send this guy an email. He has another email for his PayPal. He ships fairly fast. I think €25 is what I paid.
                  airstrike1221@t-online.de

He’s in Germany somewhere. I can’t for the life of me remember where I got his contact details. If you feel like selling me a linkage please get in contact!

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey Bear View Post
                    Thanks 993C4!

Send this guy an email. He has another email for his PayPal. He ships fairly fast. I think €25 is what I paid.
                    airstrike1221@t-online.de

He’s in Germany somewhere. I can’t for the life of me remember where I got his contact details. If you feel like selling me a linkage please get in contact!
                    Cheers gonna give this a try. I only have one spare linkage at the minute. I'll keep an eye out for one though

Comment

Did the LHD one arrive? Any luck with it working out for you?

Comment

Not yet but I assume when it does arrive It will be of no use. Might try rebuild it and put it back on eBay maybe. I’ll see.

Comment

LHD wiper bracket arrived. Was wrong. B*ll*cks.

In other news some wheels arrived. That cheered me up.

Last edited by philb; 17-07-2021, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Gorgeous wheels, can't go wrong with AC Schnitzers on that era of BMWs.
                            Current: '08 Mercedes-Benz C63 //AMG
                            Previous: ‘08 BMW E92 ///M3
                            Previous: ‘03 BMW E39 530i + ‘03 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i Roadster
                            Previous: ‘07 BMW E92 335i
                            Previous: ‘97 BMW E36 323i Coupé

Comment

Good man, those are the pinnacle of e34 wheels. I'd love a set but they're $$$$
                              Current Bad Ideas:
                              Daily - 1998 Pajero Evolution
                              Project - 1990 BMW e30 1JZ
                              Previous "Better" Ideas: 2 x Stage III Audi B5 S4, e30 m3, e34 m5, Inca Orange 2002Tii, '89 325iS, '89 318i, '90 318iS, '91 318iS, 2 X '87 316, '89 320i, '81 e21 316

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X